Hey all I have an issue and I hope someone can help me out with it. My brother just gave my fianc� his old 99. Here are some points about it:
    1) personally bought.
    2) was set up on BES
    3) had personal Gmail on it as well as work email
    Here are some points abortion the the phone:
    Version: 7.1 bundle 1310 (v7.1.0391)
    Options>device>Advanced system settings>BlackBerry device account analyzer>Internet mail account test>Internet mail account configuration test...BIS association test failed

When we go to setup to make an email account the phone will not register that we are clicking 'email'. It's not the sensitivity of the screen because it works every where else. BBM and browser work. The phone does has a BIS data plan attached to it. It was originally a rogers phone and I unlocked it so to make it work on the Bell network.

If anyone could lend a hand or a thought I'd be more then happy to hear it. I have yet to call BB tech support as I trust CB above all else.

Thanks all.
    10-28-12 07:32 AM
    1. Reset to factory default
    2. Go here http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202r - and follow the steps that shows you how to remove an I.T. Policy (step 4!)
    3. Once done you should be able to connect personal email etc.
    10-28-12 07:37 AM
    10-28-12 07:40 AM
    Thanks guys ill give it and shot and see it it works.
    10-28-12 08:10 AM
    the link is broken. just brings me to a blank page.
    1. Reset to factory default
    2. Go here http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202r - and follow the steps that shows you how to remove an I.T. Policy (step 4!)
    3. Once done you should be able to connect personal email etc.
    10-28-12 08:42 AM
    when i go to "options>search IT policy" it comes up with one but it reads that there are not dissalowed applications
    also went to the link and did the command promts but it is reading that "the system cannot find the path specified". the 99 is plugged into the comp, device mgr is not running, and the computer recognizes it.
    10-28-12 08:48 AM
    Are you getting to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader in the command box?
    10-28-12 09:00 AM
    when i go to "options>search IT policy" it comes up with one but it reads that there are not dissalowed applications
    also went to the link and did the command promts but it is reading that "the system cannot find the path specified". the 99 is plugged into the comp, device mgr is not running, and the computer recognizes it. i go to the path in the command prompt and the path is there but its not picking it up
    10-28-12 09:05 AM
    i tried both. x86 is where it is physically, if i was flipping through folders.
    *update*
    "is not recongnized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file." is what im getting when i type "c:\program files (x86)\common files\research in motion\apploader
    Are you getting to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader in the command box?
    10-28-12 09:06 AM
    anyone else have any ideas??
    10-28-12 11:00 AM
    10-28-12 11:03 AM
    Brings me to same place as the other guy tryed to help me with.
    opening the Command Prompt and typing c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    10-28-12 11:31 AM
    also went to the link and did the command promts but it is reading that "the system cannot find the path specified". the 99 is plugged into the comp, device mgr is not running, and the computer recognizes it. i go to the path in the command prompt and the path is there but its not picking it up
    You didn�t mention this, but did you first establish a Blackberry data plan on your VZW account and activated it before trying to enable it on RIM�s network? After you activate VZW data, you then activate your device PIN through RIM�s VZW portal. Note that if you haven�t activated data on your VZW account your device�s phone may work but anything coming off the RIM network will not.

If you have done both activations, did you check for BIS service books? If you have, just for good measure, delete all the BIS service books from the device, reboot the device, and then re-send the service books from the RIM VZW web portal. And if you re-send the service books, you might as well go into the device Host Routing Table and manually register the device on the VZW network (menu option). Then try BIS email again.

You need to do some reading before removing the IT policy, since it will involve a low-level wipe and reload. The IT policy does things that don�t always show on the options and status screens. Suggest surfing Google for descriptions. There are several and not all of them work. I had to do that on an older BB device and the first two tries didn�t work. It�s a low level process and the most effective one requires wiping (with Javaloader) and reloading the OS. Note that the policy must be removed BEFORE wiping since it could survive the wiping process.

Check the device firewall settings. Anything enabled here could stop you very effectively. If you see options enabled there with a little �lock� symbol, that�s usually not good. If nothing�s locked down here, see if somehow �personal email� might have been blocked here. If you�re lucky, and enabling personal email could be done without removing the IT policy, you could skip that procedure until a future date.

But if that didn�t fix it, prepare to remove the IT policy. Before you begin you will need:

1. Blackberry Desktop Manager installed and working with USB connectivity to your device. Last stable desktop with all features was v5.0.1.42. But if you want to start with the current version (v7.1.0.32), that might work too. No need to set up any sync settings, and don�t install the media or files sync apps until you get the device working and really need them. Most important part is the device manager that installs with the desktop app. BTW, I recommend that (as long as you have the DM installed) the device be backed-up before proceeding. You may be able to later restore your personalized settings and apps from this backup.

2. Get and install Javaloader. You may have to get it with another app. I got my copy from RIM, but they�ve since made it difficult to find and download. You must use your USB cable to run this app.

3. Get and install the latest Blackberry OS release for your device on the same workstation as the DM and Javaloader.

Now perform the procedure you�ve retrieved for removing the IT policy and try BIS email again. One of those procedures suggests a wipe and reload (which will use all of the tools I�ve described above). If you�ve been successful, your BIS email should then work either through VZW or through Wi-Fi (with or without the device radio turned off). Let us know how you make out.
    10-28-12 12:01 PM
    But did you follow step 4?

I did this for someone just a few days ago...

Brings me to same place as the other guy tryed to help me with.
    opening the Command Prompt and typing c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    10-28-12 12:38 PM
    you mean:
    Method 4

Perform a factory reset on the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more information on performing a factory reset, please see KB18998.
    But did you follow step 4?

I did this for someone just a few days ago...
    10-28-12 01:22 PM
    VZW?? if this stand for verision wireless i dont have one. im on bell and the phone was a Rogers.
    how do i check firewall settings?
    You didn’t mention this, but did you first establish a Blackberry data plan on your VZW account and activated it before trying to enable it on RIM’s network? After you activate VZW data, you then activate your device PIN through RIM’s VZW portal. Note that if you haven’t activated data on your VZW account your device’s phone may work but anything coming off the RIM network will not.

If you have done both activations, did you check for BIS service books? If you have, just for good measure, delete all the BIS service books from the device, reboot the device, and then re-send the service books from the RIM VZW web portal. And if you re-send the service books, you might as well go into the device Host Routing Table and manually register the device on the VZW network (menu option). Then try BIS email again.

You need to do some reading before removing the IT policy, since it will involve a low-level wipe and reload. The IT policy does things that don’t always show on the options and status screens. Suggest surfing Google for descriptions. There are several and not all of them work. I had to do that on an older BB device and the first two tries didn’t work. It’s a low level process and the most effective one requires wiping (with Javaloader) and reloading the OS. Note that the policy must be removed BEFORE wiping since it could survive the wiping process.

Check the device firewall settings. Anything enabled here could stop you very effectively. If you see options enabled there with a little “lock” symbol, that’s usually not good. If nothing’s locked down here, see if somehow “personal email” might have been blocked here. If you’re lucky, and enabling personal email could be done without removing the IT policy, you could skip that procedure until a future date.

But if that didn’t fix it, prepare to remove the IT policy. Before you begin you will need:

1. Blackberry Desktop Manager installed and working with USB connectivity to your device. Last stable desktop with all features was v5.0.1.42. But if you want to start with the current version (v7.1.0.32), that might work too. No need to set up any sync settings, and don’t install the media or files sync apps until you get the device working and really need them. Most important part is the device manager that installs with the desktop app. BTW, I recommend that (as long as you have the DM installed) the device be backed-up before proceeding. You may be able to later restore your personalized settings and apps from this backup.

2. Get and install Javaloader. You may have to get it with another app. I got my copy from RIM, but they’ve since made it difficult to find and download. You must use your USB cable to run this app.

3. Get and install the latest Blackberry OS release for your device on the same workstation as the DM and Javaloader.

Now perform the procedure you’ve retrieved for removing the IT policy and try BIS email again. One of those procedures suggests a wipe and reload (which will use all of the tools I’ve described above). If you’ve been successful, your BIS email should then work either through VZW or through Wi-Fi (with or without the device radio turned off). Let us know how you make out.
    10-28-12 01:32 PM
    Did you call bell and tell them the phone won't allow personal email? Mine did the same thing and T-Mobile reset my data to bis and 2 hours later my phone was reset for personal use.
    11-01-12 04:57 AM
    This may sound silly - but have you opted into a BIS data plan with your carrier?

Your carrier should have a login page where you enter the PIN of the device and the IMEI to be able to log in - if it is "suspended or deactivated" then you may well need to enable BIS (this is usually calling an automated line and pressing "option x" to opt in - or you may have to speak to a human).

Once I'd opted my 8800 in - the fairies sent the BIS options to my 'phone and I had personal e-mail within 3 minutes - fabulous! Prior to opting in, there wasn't even a BIS option on the device and it was really frustrating until I figured this out! Once it works, it really is like magic ;-)

Just a thought!

Remember, the BlackBerry isn't like a "normal" smart 'phone - it doesn't connect to an e-mail account "on its own" - it goes through BIS (for non corporate) or BES (for corporate).

So, sounds to me like you need BIS setting up.

Make sure your BB is not SIM locked to one particular carrier too.
    11-01-12 01:52 PM