And, again, if it is a Verizon "world phone" (8830, Tour, 9650, 9930) then it has a sim card (or the slot if the card was removed) and it (or the slot or whatever) must be unlocked it you want to use a NON-verizon sim in it. Oh, and there must be a sim card in it for the unlock process to be run, if I recall correctly. Verizon will do it for free if your account is active for a certain duration and it is paid up.

I've had Verizon help me unlock each of the phones noted in parenthesis although only the 8830 made it out of the country and I did not use a "foreign" simcard since at that time Verizon's Global program was quite reasonable so that's what I used.
    03-08-12 10:37 AM
    That is interesting. Can we get a list of all the sticker things?

For 9900 :

RDE71UW | RDE72UW | RDY71UW | RDY72UW = UMTS 800/850, 1900, 2100, [ 3G bands 1, 2, 5/6 like AT&T ]

RDV71UW | RDV72UW = UMTS 900, 1700, 2100, [ 3G bands 1, 4, 8 like T-mobile ]

The "E" stands for European

The "Y" stands for unbranded / unlocked

Refer to the link below for more details

BlackBerry - Legal - Declaration of Conformity
    Last edited by audio_engr; 03-08-12 at 12:25 PM.
    mssca likes this.
    03-08-12 12:19 PM
    For 9900 :

RDE71UW | RDE72UW | RDY71UW | RDY72UW = UMTS 800/850, 1900, 2100, [ 3G bands 1, 2, 5/6 like AT&T ]

RDV71UW | RDV72UW = UMTS 900, 1700, 2100, [ 3G bands 1, 4, 8 like T-mobile ]

The "E" stands for European

The "Y" stands for unbranded / unlocked

Refer to the link below for more details

BlackBerry - Legal - Declaration of Conformity
    But what I don't get is why one of my friends with a much cheaper Android has ALL the bands on GSM for North America plus few CDMA bands on his phone than my super expensive Bold 9900 with few bands? I think RIM fragmented the radio bands to keep the radio chip cost down and to satisfy the big bullies like AT&T and Rogers. But still, this is stupid.

There should be a ONE single Bold 9900 with ALL the bands.
    03-08-12 08:00 PM
    ([Writers note] I'm bored on a trip. Don't judge me.)

This is a small guide to the differences between a 9900 and 9930.

Before you continue understand the differences between GSM and CDMA networks.

----------------------------------------------------------

GSM networks are the ones that need SIM cards to work. They are convenient because with a sim card, you can easily switch between phones. Examples that use GSM networks are T-Mobile, AT&T, Rogers, and most of the other networks around the world.

CDMA networks are the on phones that DON'T have sim cards. They are good because generally the towers have longer range than the GSM counterparts. To switch phones, the carrier must activate it. Examples include Sprint, Verizon and Metro PCS.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Both phones have the same amount of Processing power. Each at 1.2 Ghz with a snapdragon processor. They each have a little over 700 megabytes of RAM, and each has the same camera with flash.

However, the differences are in the Networks.

The GSM phone can technically use internet at HSPA+ speeds (the slow HSPA+ speeds but faster than 3G). But this isn't the most interesting part.
    Another note. There are 3 different 9900s. They don't all have the same Networks. For example. I think a Telus 9900 will not work on AT&T but a Rogers 9900 will. Keep that in mind.
    The 9900 has GSM, which has been shown to use battery more efficiently. So it will probably have more battery life than the 9930.

The 9930 has CDMA so it can be used on Sprint and Verizon. But it can also be used on GSM networks if you travel abroad.

Just choose the one for your network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So is that why people with GSM phones have to go outside to use their phones when their indoors? For example I used to work at walmart and all my poor at&t friends would have to go outside to text or call. Unlike me where I could walk around store and text and call freely. If this is true ...it sucks to have a gsm phone
    03-08-12 11:58 PM
    I think RIM fragmented the radio bands to keep the radio chip cost down and to satisfy the big bullies like AT&T and Rogers. But still, this is stupid.

There should be a ONE single Bold 9900 with ALL the bands.

I don't think to scale Radio cost, they chose a transceiver chipset with limited capabilities. RIM used leading chips from Dialog Semiconductor (Germany), Renesas (Formerly NEC Japan) & Infineon while all these chips have an open band architecture with support for UMTS, GSM, WCDMA.

RIM played well, separating bands purposely & strategically in order to have a better grip on the carriers (as you mentioned).

Also, to segregate models for different regions of the world - so that RIM would be at a position to seek premium from various carriers in the market.

Its all a marketing strategy & a gimmick ...

If you look back into RIM's policies, this sort of model breakdown goes all the way right down to 8xxx series devices.
    Last edited by audio_engr; 03-09-12 at 12:19 AM.
    03-09-12 12:06 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD