must be heavy users. am i correct?
    04-22-12 06:43 PM
    Also don't forget poor handling of running apps and not on the latest OS
    04-22-12 07:58 PM
    Yep I forgot this, I always close everything
    The thinking, at least on Android and iOS, is this causes poorer battery life. Closing apps after you use them, only to open them up 5 minutes later, uses more energy than simply allowing it to stay in memory.

For example, if you launch the Browser, the OS pulls it from storage and loads it into RAM. If you quit, it frees up the RAM for other apps. If you go back in 30 seconds and launch Browser again, it has to load it back into RAM.

The thinking is constantly paging in and out of RAM rather than just allowing apps to lie in state in RAM causes more drain.

This is especially true for apps such as Pandora or Social Feeds, which handshake with a server and download new data at each launch.

It is unnecessary to close open apps using modern OSs like iOS, Android, and BlackBerry OS. The OS does a great job (usually) of freeing memory as necessary (by quitting apps that were last used longest).
    Last edited by SpotMeterF64; 04-22-12 at 08:36 PM.
    Czar_of_Berry likes this.
    04-22-12 08:34 PM
    I'm not a heavy user, but I can't even get a full 10 hours. Just have the default apps + Twitter (no auto refresh) and BeWeather (manual refresh).
    04-22-12 10:16 PM
    For me After updating to 7.1, Im a Real Heavy user (Ubersocial, BBM, Pictures, IM+, Lock apps, Browsing) and i can get it for Straight 7 Hours of Heavy use

Still i think the older BB get it a Day of heavy Use but im fine if my Phone was Smooth as that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry's App
    04-23-12 12:42 AM
    Not necessarily. Sometimes, a bad battery is just a bad battery... read about my experiment: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tinued-647470/
    04-23-12 10:01 AM
    Have defective batteries and/or units.

Makes more sense...
    04-23-12 02:08 PM
    I'm a very heavy user what with emails, BBM, SMS, browser, and assorted other apps running off and on all day. I usually get a good 5+ hrs before hitting in the 20-30% range. My BB is pretty much in my hand all day so for me that's a good battery life.
    04-23-12 02:18 PM
    No, it's not just heavy users. My experience is here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-712600/

My experience is shared by others. Undoubtedly, some have less patience than I do and simply ditch Blackberry for other makers. I really want to solve this, as I love my phone but am always checking the battery to see if I will be dead within a few hours! Part of the difficulty is that a lot of people chime in with useless comments. Some are well-meaning, when they say "my battery life is great" but don't give any details that might provide clues as to why. Others are not well meaning and are arrogant, when they say things like "you have a bad app or are doing something wrong", as if they are some sort of all-knowing Blackberry superuser.

It's frustrating. This hurts RIMM even more when they can't afford it. Good battery life was an advantage for Backberry owners. That's sadly no longer the case.
    Chrisy and Jberry32 like this.
    04-24-12 04:03 PM
    I'm really surprised BlackBerry went from the best battery to possibly the worst! I didn't like the battery life on my Thunderbolt. When I decided to switch and posted here many BB users made fun of Android battery.

Now it looks like the 9900 series gets about as good as a newer Android, and both less than iPhone.

What I don't get is why? The 9900 screen is small, no widgets, not dual core or 4G. There's no reason it can't be as good as older devices, is there?
    04-24-12 04:08 PM
    this is only partly true..

a) you are right, o.s. DO do a good job of freeing memory as it is required, but that has almost nothing to do with the issue of battery life.
    b) you cannot make the assumption that background apps are dormant.
    c) You cannot make the assumption that apps are cleanly designed
    d) you cannot make the assumption that app are 100% effective at memory utilisation..(memory leak)

if you look at a collections of users with bad battery life, inevitably you will see a ton of social feeds, cross platform messengers and the like.. all of which are polling in the background.. the more stuff you ask any device to do, the less battery life you will get..that is the be all and end all of battery life discussions..

The thinking, at least on Android and iOS, is this causes poorer battery life. Closing apps after you use them, only to open them up 5 minutes later, uses more energy than simply allowing it to stay in memory.

For example, if you launch the Browser, the OS pulls it from storage and loads it into RAM. If you quit, it frees up the RAM for other apps. If you go back in 30 seconds and launch Browser again, it has to load it back into RAM.

The thinking is constantly paging in and out of RAM rather than just allowing apps to lie in state in RAM causes more drain.

This is especially true for apps such as Pandora or Social Feeds, which handshake with a server and download new data at each launch.

It is unnecessary to close open apps using modern OSs like iOS, Android, and BlackBerry OS. The OS does a great job (usually) of freeing memory as necessary (by quitting apps that were last used longest).
    04-24-12 04:44 PM
    this is only partly true..

if you look at a collections of users with bad battery life, inevitably you will see a ton of social feeds, cross platform messengers and the like.. all of which are polling in the background.. the more stuff you ask any device to do, the less battery life you will get..that is the be all and end all of battery life discussions..
    Not true. My post refers to behavior that is very inconsistent. I use Social Feeds. Then again, many do, and their battery life is fine. Furthermore, there are entire days that I use Social Feeds and my battery drains at 3% per hour. Other times, the phone is (apparently) doing nothing but sitting there, and I get a 30% hourly drain rate. Perhaps it is downloading 3 articles for an RSS feed, and my expectations are too high?

There are legitimate problems with battery life for some, problems that have not been addressed or solved. Some users look the other way and imagine it must be heavy use, unrealistic expectations, or an ID 10 T error.
    04-24-12 04:50 PM
    Anecdotal evidence would show that the OS goes through an evolutionary period before RIM's developers seem to rectify the reasons for high drain in new devices.

It has all to do with the inner core of the OS and not so much to do with third party app's (unless they are really poor designed: most mobile device developers know how to avoid draining a battery)

Always install the latest OS and you will see most likely see an increase in battery life as time goes on.

Personally, I think this device suffers high drain because of the screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-12 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD