I don't know if this is already posted somewhere, tried looking but no luck.
    I have a new 9900 that was working just fine. Then, it completely shut off its network radio (though WiFi, BT were on) and would not let me turn it back on. Once I did a battery pull, it prompted me for a password. Now, I never set the password lock, only use the top button to lock. I tried enetering 'blackberry', but no luck. Of course I only have 9 tries left and don't want to experiment. Tried re-loading OS, but it asks for password when I connect it to PC.
    Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
    01-18-12 06:21 AM
    If you are on BES, some policy has been pushed to your 9900.
    but not heard of such thing like before of automatically device asking for password.
    check it if it's asking for BlackBerry ID?, not device password.
    one way is to enter wrong password 10 times...
    but doing so, device will wipe automatically and you will loose all your data...
    but you will get rid of password...
    one more way is to connect bb to PC..
    and open command prompt and locate Apploader folder... and run loader.exe /resettofactory (reset to factory)..
    this will reset to factory, you will loose all data but doing so you will also get rid of policy file and magical password.
    good luck..
    01-18-12 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the help. Not on BES. I don't want to lose my data, is the problem. . Thankfully, I carry a spare BB always .Either way, how in the world does the phone turn on password lock on its own? Really, that is the main question that is seriously bugging me. I have had about 20 9900s for friends, etc, and all the main issues the forums mention, but this is the first time I have ever seen this problem.
    01-18-12 07:18 AM
    Then someone might have set password on you bb (might be to joke on you).
    There is no such defect seen till yet
    There is no way you can unlock that password and get your data (unless you know password)
    Only RIM can do it.
    niks1 likes this.
    01-18-12 07:27 AM
    Thanks. That's what I thought.
    01-18-12 07:39 AM
    I am pretty sure you can get round this - you need to use an app called JLCmdr (How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ) - I have used this to successfully wipe pushed BES password polices from a device before now so it is worth a try.
    01-18-12 08:07 AM
    Thanks. That's what I thought.
    Hopefully you have backups. Also, even RIM can't do it.
    01-18-12 08:09 AM
    Same thing happened to me! Left my phone charging in locked hotel room for about 15 minutes and when I got back it was locked, had a password on it (I don't even use passwords) and was on attempt 8/10! Doubt anyone broke into the hotel room and 'passworded' my phone because nothing was missing or anything. Really strange. Just ended up doing a security wipe. (Mine is a 9700)
    02-06-12 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD