I've heard of this happening on the 9650, however my Sprint 9930 which is only a couple of months old is experiencing some issues with paint chipping off the keys. As of right now, the top curve of the "T" and "Y" are getting bad due to being directly below the track pad. The edge of the "N" key is significantly worse.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I use my device a lot, but not 24/7. I'm probably what you would consider "an average user". Thanks.
    11-07-11 03:35 PM
    I've heard of this happening on the 9650, however my Sprint 9930 which is only a couple of months old is experiencing some issues with paint chipping off the keys. As of right now, the top curve of the "T" and "Y" are getting bad due to being directly below the track pad. The edge of the "N" key is significantly worse.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I use my device a lot, but not 24/7. I'm probably what you would consider "an average user". Thanks.
    Sorry to hear that. I have a Verizon 9930 and keep it caseless always. It's been a few months and still looks brand new. I never put it face down and keep it in its own pocket. I can't risk mixing it with my keys or anything.

Over time if I see any damage to any part of my Bold, I will try replacing them to keep it looking new. That is if it's a simple task. Here's a keypad for example

New Blackberry Bold Touch 9900 9930 QWERTY Keypad Keyboard

I would only do it if you know what you're doing. There should be videos or in depth instructions on how to take the phone apart. You might not even have to for just the keypad.
    11-07-11 03:40 PM
    NOOOOOO.

dang. looks like it will happen to mine too soon.
    11-07-11 04:02 PM
    I carry mine in the $10 Otterbox soft rubber case. The phone is always carried in my hand or pocket, away from keys and other objects. I always keep my devices in excellent condition, and even rocked a flawless 9650 for over 14 months without any major issues. Needless to say I'm disappointed, but I love the device!

So we'll see if it gets any worse. If it does I might see about replacing the keyboard.
    11-07-11 04:24 PM
    well this just sucks
    11-07-11 04:45 PM
    I sent 10K+ texts last month, about my average, and never have had any issues with paint on any of my berries.
    11-07-11 05:46 PM
    Is it possible this could be an issue on the early 9930's? I purchased mine on a Sunday morning, the first day Sprint offered them for sale. Otherwise the phone is in excellent condition!
    11-07-11 06:04 PM
    I don't see any issue with mine doing this and I've had it since launch. I'm sure over time they all will start to wear away though. Every Berry I've ever had has done this dating back to the 8700 series.
    11-07-11 07:56 PM
    Really? I'm a texting/emailing fool and have never had this issue with any of my Berries. Photo evidence?
    11-10-11 09:24 AM
    Never had any issue on 9900 and i type like crazy lol. I bought it in the first week. Hungary 3 device here
    11-10-11 09:34 AM
    Well this is what mine looks like after 2 months. I am a general contractor so it gets abused with dirty hands and dusty conditions. It IS my business connection at my side 24/7. I went through three different 9630's over two years and I always wore the paint off the keypads. With the position of the track pad on the 9930 it just happened much faster. I will take the wear of the pads and the small scratches as long as it keeps running and doesn't get struck by the other issues going on with the 99xx's.
    Last edited by david.wells; 11-10-11 at 12:07 PM.
    11-10-11 12:05 PM
    I sent 10K+ texts last month, about my average, and never have had any issues with paint on any of my berries.
    Over 300 texts a day!
    I'm impressed!!
    11-10-11 12:11 PM
    You want to have mad wear on the keyboard with light leaking through. Otherwise you look like a punk.
    11-10-11 03:55 PM
    You want to have mad wear on the keyboard with light leaking through. Otherwise you look like a punk.
    Huh? Not sure I understand what you are saying.
    11-10-11 04:33 PM
    Only BB I've had with worn keys was the 8830WE, but it wasn't the lettering. It was the little raised edge of the D key that slopes up and to the left.
    11-10-11 04:38 PM
    Huh? Not sure I understand what you are saying.
    It's a tool, not a toy. Showing up to work with shiny new tools raises the specter you're a fng. It's a street cred thing.
    11-10-11 06:15 PM
    Just curious, did you (OP) use the OEM holster everyday to place your phone when you are not using?

There was a memo going around that OEM holster had some issues including even screen damage and keys falling off.
    11-10-11 06:16 PM
    It's a tool, not a toy. Showing up to work with shiny new tools raises the specter you're a fng. It's a street cred thing.

That's funny. My kids feel the same about new sneakers.
    11-10-11 06:18 PM
    Providing 'photo evidence' is impossible for me considering my 9930 IS my digital camera. I brought it up as a concern, not to bring all the nay-sayers to my thread. My 9930 is obviously not as bad as the pics provided above, but has the problem in the same areas of the same keys. I highly doubt they will get any worse at this point, but if they do it's not a big deal and I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the device.
    11-10-11 07:13 PM
    Just curious, did you (OP) use the OEM holster everyday to place your phone when you are not using?

There was a memo going around that OEM holster had some issues including even screen damage and keys falling off.
    I did use the OEM holster that Sprint provided for about 3 weeks until I was able to snag the cheap Otterbox rubber case. I haven't used it since.
    11-10-11 07:14 PM
    Maybe the problem lies with using your nails to text instead of just using your fingers. I have a VZW bold 9930 and had it since launch and the paint on the "D" button is coming off, only because it has some dot on it that's sticking out. Not sure what the use of it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 08:41 PM
    Maybe the problem lies with using your nails to text instead of just using your fingers. I have a VZW bold 9930 and had it since launch and the paint on the "D" button is coming off, only because it has some dot on it that's sticking out. Not sure what the use of it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

The dot is for a reference point for no-look typing.
    11-10-11 08:57 PM
    It's happening to me as well -- on my BB key and return key. I use the OEM holster too, so I'm wondering if that's the problem. Still loving the device though.
    11-11-11 07:14 AM
    Are to sure that it wasn't dropped face down because my 9780 had the same scratches when it took a nice spill on concrete or maybe if your nails are really sharp.
    11-11-11 08:08 AM
    Thanks. I've had this phone for only a week and it was fine when I got it. I've been protecting this thing like an egg and just noticed the paint chips yesterday. No drops and I have nubs for fingernails. The only thing I do with it besides normal use is put it in the holster.

It's not bad now, but if it gets progressively worse, then I'll have to take up the issue with the carrier.
    11-11-11 08:49 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD