take an exacto knife or suitable sharpe object. and scribe your otter. I did this on previous models and have done it to my 9900 otter. Draw a picture, make a pattern do whatever. Over the course of an hour or so i have fully textured the plastic part of the case. No slip issues at all now and all custom.

can take pics if interested
    I'd love to see pics. If I were the least bit artistic at drawing, I'd give it a shot.
    11-09-11 09:27 AM
    Attachment 96833

Attachment 96834

Attachment 96835

Keeping in mind i am no artist, and i did this when i was bored watching a movie. But it does add a lot of grip and add a certain individuality.

I've heard people say i've ruined it. and others have asked me to do theirs.
    lamfu and sulcopete like this.
    11-10-11 03:54 PM
    Wow that's crazy! Way more elaborate than I expected. Yeah theres no way I could do that, I'm really impressed at how straight and even your lines are lol, good job.
    11-10-11 03:58 PM
    Just got myself a commuter case today. Anyone know of a holster that still puts the phone to sleep? my battery life naked with the holster would get me about 24-36 hours of battery life
    11-10-11 07:26 PM
    I have had the Defender on three phones and then the commuter on the 9650/Bold. But I have used the Keyboard Membrane to protect all of the phones. I am right that Otterbox no longer provides that clear plastic membrane anymore even on the Defender? I hike, bike and cross-country ski and so like that keyboard protection from inclement weather.
    11-10-11 10:23 PM
    That is correct, no keyboard skin
    11-10-11 10:25 PM
    After reading the comments on here, let me just say that as someone who also alternates between naked and the Commuter, I'm completely glad I'm not the only one that shows this level of indecisiveness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 11:02 PM
    Bold 9000 OEM koskin holster works 100% with the Commuter.

Also, WOW on the engraving!

11-11-11 06:27 AM
    After reading the comments on here, let me just say that as someone who also alternates between naked and the Commuter, I'm completely glad I'm not the only one that shows this level of indecisiveness.

at first i didn't want any case on my 9900 because it was just soooo nice a device. around a little over a week later it did it - it fell. now has some fancy nicks and scratches on the steel bezel.

bought the commuter and for some odd reason it feels really nice and haven't dropped it since. and i don't think i will ever remove the commuter - unless i need to change sim or pull batt or clean it or something....
    11-11-11 06:43 AM
    Anyone here don't like the Commuter? I want to get it but love the thinness of the phone and don't want to ruin the looks!
    11-13-11 01:21 PM
    Anyone here don't like the Commuter? I want to get it but love the thinness of the phone and don't want to ruin the looks!

I wouldn't say I DON'T like it, but I haven't been using it lately.

It doesn't add much bulk, but it does take away some of the beautiful form factor.

It covers the beautiful stainless steel and you can't see the thinness.

I just take my chances and leave it caseless

Sent using Tapatalk
    11-13-11 01:24 PM
    I wouldn't say I DON'T like it, but I haven't been using it lately.

It doesn't add much bulk, but it does take away some of the beautiful form factor.

It covers the beautiful stainless steel and you can't see the thinness.

I just take my chances and leave it caseless

Sent using Tapatalk
    I'll buy one maybe after 30 days when I'm past my return period and I'm stuck with it haha
    11-13-11 09:30 PM
    i have the Seidio Active holster with the Commuter. This is the first of six berries that I put a case from Day 1 and have not dropped. All the other ones had very tiny dings and went commando. No real bulk issues with the case.
    11-13-11 11:05 PM
    i have the Seidio Active holster with the Commuter. This is the first of six berries that I put a case from Day 1 and have not dropped. All the other ones had very tiny dings and went commando. No real bulk issues with the case.
    How much bulk does the Commuter add?
    11-14-11 03:45 PM
    How much bulk does the Commuter add?
    Very little.
    11-14-11 04:34 PM
    can someone post some pics of the commuter and other 9900 without it to see how much bulk is added???

im also very indecisive on what to get, i have a hard shell, wjich actually looks and feels very good, but it doenst feel very secure if i drop it...
    11-14-11 06:07 PM
    Very little.
    Even with the Commuter on my 9900, it is still much thinner than my 9810 with or without the Seidio Active case.
    11-14-11 08:13 PM
    Just got myself a commuter case today. Anyone know of a holster that still puts the phone to sleep? my battery life naked with the holster would get me about 24-36 hours of battery life
    Just use the screen lock button. It's exact same thing as putting it in the holster.
    11-14-11 09:14 PM
    can someone post some pics of the commuter and other 9900 without it to see how much bulk is added???

im also very indecisive on what to get, i have a hard shell, wjich actually looks and feels very good, but it doenst feel very secure if i drop it...
    here are some pics from OtterBox Commuter Series case for Bold 9900/9930 Review/99 - BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900/9930 BlackBerryEmpire.com

Last edited by shemaree09; 11-14-11 at 10:47 PM.
    jcp007 likes this.
    11-14-11 10:39 PM
    To anyone that gets the Commuter, be careful installing the protective shield and be patient installing the shell over the soft case. It is definitely worth it.
    11-15-11 05:58 AM
    To anyone that gets the Commuter, be careful installing the protective shield and be patient installing the shell over the soft case. It is definitely worth it.
    I find that the easiest and fastest way to remove the case is to start at the rubber corners.

Pull the rubber corner forward while pushing plastic hard shell on the side back.
    11-15-11 09:31 AM
    I have had the Defender on three phones and then the commuter on the 9650/Bold. But I have used the Keyboard Membrane to protect all of the phones. I am right that Otterbox no longer provides that clear plastic membrane anymore even on the Defender? I hike, bike and cross-country ski and so like that keyboard protection from inclement weather.
    Any luck finding a key membrane for the 9900?
    I bought the 9900 and the otterbox defender yesterday, but is is useless to me without the key cover.

Otterbox has been dropping the ball lately, they have basically rendered my phone useless. I might have to sell it now since the phone wont last one month in my work environment, or may have to come up with my own key cover.

If someone has a solution for me, please let me know. I really want to keep this phone, its amazing so far.
    11-30-11 06:11 PM
    I have the commuter on my 9900. I find that the hard matte plastic parts of the case are very slick to my hands. Maybe because my skin is dry and not sticky like a Gecko. I don't know. But try laying the phone screen up, and picking it up by the sides between your thumb and two fingers, on the hard plastic. This to me is very slippery. If you lay the phone face down, and try the same thing, it's much more secure! This is because of the angle of the plastic...face up it's narrower at the top than the bottom. Face down, it's wider at the top and easier to grab. Just my two cents....
    11-30-11 08:14 PM
    I love this case! I had a broken one and otterbox just sent me a new one.. free of charge!
    12-01-11 09:42 AM
    Picked up my 9900 yesterday and was suprised how difficult it was to put the Commuter on, compared to the one I had on my 9700. What technique do you guys think is the best way to install the case?
    12-02-11 02:22 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD