Got a text from my service provider last month that I had already used 75% of my included data (500 MB / month) with two weeks left until my new billing cycle and the same thing has happened again this month.

I really use my BB for only a few things. I use my blackberry only for the following:

- Email
    - Text
    - BBM
    - SocialScope
    - Fightin Words
    - Bejeweled
    - Whatsapp

That's pretty much it. In an effort to try and figure out which app was using so much of my data, my service provider advised me to uninstall all non-native apps for 24 hours to see what was causing such an inordinate amount of data being used. I told them that I wanted to continue SocialScope as it is the only social media app that I use but got rid of the rest.

After 24 hours, I used 8 MB for the day when I have been averaging 14 MB per day for the month (according to the service provider).

Would the other stuff really be using that much? I am trying to decide to whether to increase the amount of data per month or to keep it the same.

Thanks for any advice.
    02-10-12 03:11 AM
    The service provider was right when trying to find the data hog remove all the apps and let it go a week or so. Then one at a time add them back. Waiting a week in between. All the time monitoring your usage. When you find the guilty app you have to decide how badly you want it. Some apps the frequency it updates can be changed. That might help.
    Good luck.
    02-10-12 06:13 AM
    Just go to Application Management and highlight the header and scroll left or right. You should be able to see what's eating it up. Happy hunting.
    02-10-12 08:01 AM
    As far as I know, App Management doesn't show data usage.

However, go in to App Management and change the permissions on the games you use unless you are playing on-line or sharing your game status. For some reason, BeJeweled is set to allow connection to the internet. Change it to deny or prompt. My only other suggestion is to use WiFi whenever possible.
    02-10-12 08:33 AM
    do you have access to wifi?

if so, set your apps to use Wifi only or just get a larger data plan.

I have Verizon's 300mb data plan and I use about 150mb/month. Im on wifi 70% of the time.

When I turned off wifi for one month and upgraded to 2gb plan, I only used about 550mb/month. This included email, texts, bbm, twitter, pandora, and a few other apps.
    02-10-12 10:02 AM
    I recommend that you download the app 'NetworkTrafficControl' From App world. It's great in saying how much data you've used over the days/months and categorizes them into Mobile and Wi-Fi. It's much quicker than your carrier's system and you can see how much you use with ease.
    02-10-12 10:05 AM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I called the service provider today and appears I don't have to worry. They are running a new promotion and for an extra $15 per month, I get 6 gigs of data which will more than take of the issue
    02-10-12 03:57 PM
    Also download an app like Telicost app to keep track on your usage on the phone so you know how you are doing before even you get a warning from the service provider.

Telicost is very accurate and even RIM promoted the app. It is free and I find it very useful.

I have 500 MB and with Internet browser, FB, Twitter, BerryWeather, Dictionary.com, Maps and downloading and checking new apps every week or so plus even Nobex Internet radio, I have used 200 MB and I have 3 days to go to reset the cycle. Which is good in my opinion.
    02-10-12 04:32 PM
    Thanks.

Also, for Telus members... their 6GB promotion goes into effect tomorrow according to the call I had, and I DEFINITELY think it is worth it.
    02-10-12 06:45 PM
    No offence, but that's a huge rip off. $15 dollars extra for 6 gig? It looks like they could have been messing with you in order to get you on a ridiculous plan and charge you for no reason.

Blackberry's use very little data and 1 gb a month is more than enough. I have an unlimited plan with Wind mobile and I have never used 1gb and I browse quite often.
    02-10-12 06:56 PM
    14 mb a day wont get u over 500 maybe plus a bit of heavy surfing. maybe telus forgot to hit reset. I know my rogers accoutn didnt hit the reset counter until 10 days into the month this month before it went opps and reset it and recounted from feb 1st..... check ur statement online
    02-10-12 06:57 PM
    No offense taken. I agree that 1 GB is more than enough, but for me, an extra $15 for 6GB to me is basically unlimited.
    02-11-12 04:51 PM
    No offense taken. I agree that 1 GB is more than enough, but for me, an extra $15 for 6GB to me is basically unlimited.
    yeah, 6gb for a Blackberry is completely unnecessary.

even if you tried, you probably wouldn't reach 1 or 2gb in one month
    02-11-12 06:49 PM
    But now he has the option to tether whenever he wants, if he doesn't have access to wifi.
    02-11-12 07:03 PM
    Exactly. And I totally agree. I will never go past 1GB ever... but I think the 6GB is because it is sounds so big that it will entice new customers. For my purposes though, an extra $15 to not have to worry about wifi all the time is worth it.
    02-11-12 10:28 PM
    I'm on 7.0 on a 9900. I found device analyzer, loaded it to my phone. DA shows you pretty much everything, from network drops, battery life to sd card tests. There is an option to check how much data you've used as well.
    02-12-12 03:16 AM
    No offence, but that's a huge rip off. $15 dollars extra for 6 gig? It looks like they could have been messing with you in order to get you on a ridiculous plan and charge you for no reason.

Blackberry's use very little data and 1 gb a month is more than enough. I have an unlimited plan with Wind mobile and I have never used 1gb and I browse quite often.

That's sooo true. Seems like his/her carrier is trying to get em onto a higher plan.
    02-12-12 03:46 AM
    I recommend that you download the app 'NetworkTrafficControl' From App world. It's great in saying how much data you've used over the days/months and categorizes them into Mobile and Wi-Fi. It's much quicker than your carrier's system and you can see how much you use with ease.
    I had NTC installed for several weeks and I wouldn't recommend it. I does give you the option to set the billing cut-off date but, it doesn't reset the data usage until the 1st of the month. I contacted the developer only to be told that's the way it was designed. Makes no sense to me. Additionally, I had Device Analyzer tracking the battery usage and NTC was using 30-40% more CPU than any other app. I couldn't justify the battery drain for incorrect data tracking so I deleted the app.
    02-14-12 10:44 AM
    yeah, 6gb for a Blackberry is completely unnecessary.

even if you tried, you probably wouldn't reach 1 or 2gb in one month
    Sorry but I have no problem using over 6GB a month on my BB without tethering. I have done it in the past and can do it in the future if not for AT&T throttleing with my unlimited data plan.

But yes if someone uses there BB for BBM, email and some browsing 1GB should be over enough.
    02-14-12 11:37 AM
    Sorry but I have no problem using over 6GB a month on my BB without tethering. I have done it in the past and can do it in the future if not for AT&T throttleing with my unlimited data plan.

But yes if someone uses there BB for BBM, email and some browsing 1GB should be over enough.

You must stream a LOT of media then, because Blackberry's compress data, making it very unlikely to use huge amounts of data.

I send/receive email, tweet, facebook, use Pandora, BBM, web browse, and use Telenav very often and still can't manage to reach 1gb in a month.

Sent from my Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shemaree09; 02-15-12 at 09:49 AM.
    02-15-12 09:47 AM
    Oh, Telus. Haha, well that's great about the 6Gigs! $15 bucks isn't bad. How much are you paying for your bill now?
    02-15-12 10:00 AM
    I stream from the 9900 to my whole house media center whenever I'm home and use 7GB or more/month. Fortunately, most is via WiFi or I'm sure TMO's grandfathered "unlimited" would get limited.
    02-15-12 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD