This is frankly unbelievable.

Two months ago RIM admitted there was an issue with the Bold dying. They also stated they were working on a fix.

Here we are almost in February, and not a word.

What do they think they are accomplishing by saying nothing? I don't get it.

Sure, they are selling millions of devices despite this, I get that. But why not clear the air and sell even more?

If they fixed it with an update, why not say so?

I'll go ahead and put on my flame suit now to protect myself from the there-is-no-bricking-issue crowd.
    01-31-12 08:45 AM
    better get a twitter... they respond right away to that
    01-31-12 08:57 AM
    better get a twitter... they respond right away to that
    Ain't they reading CrackBerry threads where people have been crying out for this bricking issue? Isn't it that the new CEO has just talked to CB Kevin that they highly appreciate this community' opinions and contributions?

Then WHY the silence?
    01-31-12 09:32 AM
    Nobody is arguing that there hasn't been some problems with the 9900 series. All new versions of phones have some initial problems. I have been a cellular user since the first Motorola portable cellular, the DynaTac, to a StarTac and a few others before I took up Blackberry. All of the early release phones had problems, but they were always serviced without any problem while still under warranty. These glitches are just part of being an early adopter.

I think the real problem is that a lot of the early adopters did not buy the phones through their service provider, so they have no warranty, as this is how RIM and most cellular hardware manufacturers deal with warranty. There have been no posts where a provider has refused to repair/replace a bricked 9900 that was purchased by the user through that provider.
    01-31-12 09:33 AM
    Then WHY the silence?
    Maybe they haven't fixed it.
    01-31-12 10:04 AM
    7 weeks with my 9900 and no problems!
    01-31-12 10:07 AM
    I think the real problem is that a lot of the early adopters did not buy the phones through their service provider, so they have no warranty, as this is how RIM and most cellular hardware manufacturers deal with warranty. There have been no posts where a provider has refused to repair/replace a bricked 9900 that was purchased by the user through that provider.
    While it's agreeable that most people crying out on the bricking issue are those who did not buy the phones from service providers, I don't think it's the "real problem".

IMHO, the "real problem" is with RIM not having adequately responsive to numerous customers' concerns. It should also be noted that many bricked phones are actually "warrantied", but since they've gone through the market to eager users, the eventually end users have no way to trace back the warranty. Perhaps RIM should follow the warranty method widely applied by laptop manufacturers, i.e. product-based warranty.
    01-31-12 10:21 AM
    7 weeks with my 9900 and no problems!
    Sigh...just...sigh...
    01-31-12 10:44 AM
    Your carrier should be working for you. I don't think they're giving you proper service. My 9900 bricked and I had it back with a newer OS that worked even better than before in 10 days. RIM did a great job actually, I just hated the Curve I had as a loaner phone....
    01-31-12 10:46 AM
    RDEF....if you have upgraded to the latest version of software...7.1, you shouldnt have a problem. I also NEVER let my blackberry get below 20% charge and I have never had an issue with bricking.
    01-31-12 10:51 AM
    Perhaps RIM should follow the warranty method widely applied by laptop manufacturers, i.e. product-based warranty.
    I think it may be related to how each carrier purchases the device. They probably get them cheaper under the condition they provide support for them. This may also be why a carrier does not want to expend support resources on phones they did not distribute and make the margin to help pay for their support service.
    01-31-12 11:07 AM
    RDEF....if you have upgraded to the latest version of software...7.1, you shouldnt have a problem. I also NEVER let my blackberry get below 20% charge and I have never had an issue with bricking.
    i let my battery regularly drop below 20 percent and i charge it overnight everynight and there hasnt been a problem, i dont think ive seen any 7.1 bolds brick anyone who posts a brick thread is using the older firmwares.

i think the 99-92 bug was a way of reserving battery power so it doesnt completly die out and that the new 7.1 has found a complete fix for it.

what is the point of having a phone and walking on egg shells with it, just enjoy the phone and if anything happens get a warranty replacement, if you havent got a warranty upgrade to 7.1 asap
    01-31-12 12:18 PM
    This is frankly unbelievable.

Two months ago RIM admitted there was an issue with the Bold dying. They also stated they were working on a fix.

Here we are almost in February, and not a word.

What do they think they are accomplishing by saying nothing? I don't get it.

Sure, they are selling millions of devices despite this, I get that. But why not clear the air and sell even more?

If they fixed it with an update, why not say so?

I'll go ahead and put on my flame suit now to protect myself from the there-is-no-bricking-issue crowd.
    I believe the most recent OS 7.1 fixes that problem.

Since the OS 7.1 release, there hasn't been many threads on bricked 9900's

I've had my 9930 for 4 months with no problems.
    01-31-12 12:54 PM
    Maybe they haven't fixed it.
    Hopefully, Thurston Howell will read this post.
    01-31-12 03:40 PM
    Hopefully, Thurston Howell will read this post.
    or Thorsten Heins
    01-31-12 04:23 PM
    or Thorsten Heins
    lol. You're being from England, you likely do not know who Thurston Howell is.

Give it a quick Google...
    01-31-12 04:33 PM
    Mine bricked 4 months in. Running 7.1, 75% battery, not charging and middle of afternoon. Can reload os but phone rebricks after 5 minutes. $500+ paperweight.
    01-31-12 04:37 PM
    No manufacturer or carrier will ever fully admit to a defective device until the fix is located. To this day motorola has never fixed the reboot issue on the original droid x. Look at the first storm and how many updates it took to get the device even usable. There should be a lemon law to protect the consumer who gets stuck with a cell phone that won't perform as advertised. I have used the Better Business Bureau several times to return devices that would not perform as advertised. Each and every time the carrier's contact person at this point would admit the issue was there and no fix for it. If more consumers went further to get action I believe this issues would slowly disappear!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 05:01 PM
    I've had my 9900 from AT&T since the second week of November (I believe it was the week after release) and haven't had any issues, To me it sounds like a lot of the bricking was related to early devices, as well as early OS versions.

In my experience, The one time I had a friend with a bad 9900, They went to their carrier and got a replacement on the spot, while I'm sure not all carriers/stores are going to provide this level of service, the fact is that (like others have said) unless RIM know exactly why this is occurring, they simply aren't going to release a statement about it, until then, carriers will likely replace devices with the issue, truth be told, I've seen the number of people having this issue slowly decrease since I started visiting the 9900 forum in November.
    01-31-12 05:07 PM
    Mine Bricked in the night/morning charging in its dock/pod (official).
    I'm running 7.1.0.74. What changes wad made for the latest update?
    02-01-12 04:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD