So, a couple of years ago, my best friend had an LG EnV type phone and I had a Curve 8830 and I could not text her using the @ sign because the one character would turn the entire text message into a garbled mess. Squares and other characters and then three or four rows of @@@@@@@@, etc. We resolved that issue bec I just stopped using the @ sign and would just type out the word "at".

Fast forward a couple of years... she now has a Samsung Stratosphere (the $20 special on upgrade) and I have a Bold 9930 (my second bec the first had a "fatal error" and Verizon had to ship out a new one). At least 1-2x a week, she gets texts from me that splice the message that I sent with some message I sent two months ago! For example, tonight, I sent her the following text:

Are u interested in kettlebell kickboxing? Burn 1000 calories in an hour! I sent u a short YouTube video & link for Living Social deal, 10 classes for $29 (studio on Viking Way) that's good for 4 more days.

What she got was:

I just tried calling Catherine, got vm so I'll stick around another 20 min, til 4. If I haven't heard back by then, I'll take off and go back to my hotel9 (studio on Viking Way) that's good for 4 more days.

WTH?!!!

The first part (calling Catherine, etc) was from January 26th of this year (so not quite 8 weeks ago) when I was at a convention and was waiting for a friend to call about happy hour. She fell asleep after lunch and since I couldn't get a hold of her, I went back to my hotel. My bff clears out her texts every day and so do I. I do have some texts saved but they're meaningful texts, not random daily jibber jabber. Whose phone is retaining the old stuff?

The second part, the studio on Viking Way) is from the actual message I had just sent but hardly any of it went thru!

I can only think that it's bec my message was over 160 characters. I wrote it exactly as I texted it, onto Word, and did a word count, and it's 168 without spaces and 206 with spaces.

The Curve 8830 didn't allow continuous text messages - it would stop at 160 characters. You'd have to hit send and then continue your message. But the Bold 9930 does allow and it just keeps going. I send long messages to a couple of other friends who have OLD phones (flip phones!) and don't have this issue with anybody EXCEPT the bff!

I don't know that it happens every time I send a message with 160+ characters, but it happens too often.

Likewise, she'll send me a message (on the Stratosphere, this didn't happen when she had the LG) and it'll come thru in Chinese characters! We are both on Verizon.

Why are her messages coming to me in Chinese? Is it some character she's using? We've tested various characters and they all seem to be fine.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    03-12-13 11:53 PM
    So, a couple of years ago, my best friend had an LG EnV type phone and I had a Curve 8830 and I could not text her using the @ sign because the one character would turn the entire text message into a garbled mess. Squares and other characters and then three or four rows of @@@@@@@@, etc. We resolved that issue bec I just stopped using the @ sign and would just type out the word "at".

Fast forward a couple of years... she now has a Samsung Stratosphere (the $20 special on upgrade) and I have a Bold 9930 (my second bec the first had a "fatal error" and Verizon had to ship out a new one). At least 1-2x a week, she gets texts from me that splice the message that I sent with some message I sent two months ago! For example, tonight, I sent her the following text:

Are u interested in kettlebell kickboxing? Burn 1000 calories in an hour! I sent u a short YouTube video & link for Living Social deal, 10 classes for $29 (studio on Viking Way) that's good for 4 more days.

What she got was:

I just tried calling Catherine, got vm so I'll stick around another 20 min, til 4. If I haven't heard back by then, I'll take off and go back to my hotel9 (studio on Viking Way) that's good for 4 more days.

WTH?!!!

The first part (calling Catherine, etc) was from January 26th of this year (so not quite 8 weeks ago) when I was at a convention and was waiting for a friend to call about happy hour. She fell asleep after lunch and since I couldn't get a hold of her, I went back to my hotel. My bff clears out her texts every day and so do I. I do have some texts saved but they're meaningful texts, not random daily jibber jabber. Whose phone is retaining the old stuff?

The second part, the studio on Viking Way) is from the actual message I had just sent but hardly any of it went thru!

I can only think that it's bec my message was over 160 characters. I wrote it exactly as I texted it, onto Word, and did a word count, and it's 168 without spaces and 206 with spaces.

The Curve 8830 didn't allow continuous text messages - it would stop at 160 characters. You'd have to hit send and then continue your message. But the Bold 9930 does allow and it just keeps going. I send long messages to a couple of other friends who have OLD phones (flip phones!) and don't have this issue with anybody EXCEPT the bff!

I don't know that it happens every time I send a message with 160+ characters, but it happens too often.

Likewise, she'll send me a message (on the Stratosphere, this didn't happen when she had the LG) and it'll come thru in Chinese characters! We are both on Verizon.

Why are her messages coming to me in Chinese? Is it some character she's using? We've tested various characters and they all seem to be fine.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Don't think it's the phone, it's the carrier
    03-13-13 12:37 AM