Yes, if you are using a Rogers on 9900, then you are using AT&T's service books. You will not get NFC to work with AT&T until they are ready.
    This is not true, I have been using my Rogers on ATT for 2 months with NFC fully functional!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 01:08 PM
    This is not true, I have been using my Rogers on ATT for 2 months with NFC fully functional!

Rogers 9900 with AT&T service books will work. AT&T 9900 with NFC won't work.
    11-07-11 01:13 PM
    So, could an unlocked AT&T 9900 be used on Rogers network and get the NFC Service Books from Rogers?
    11-07-11 01:23 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. I don't entirely understand how service books work.. How would that enable/disable the ability to use NFC?

Not the most detailed, but this should give you an idea: What Is a BlackBerry Service Book? | eHow.com
    11-07-11 01:35 PM
    Not the most detailed, but this should give you an idea: What Is a BlackBerry Service Book? | eHow.com
    Yeah thanks for the link - I actually read that. I was hoping to find something a little more in-depth, though.

11-07-11 01:38 PM
    Yeah thanks for the link - I actually read that. I was hoping to find something a little more in-depth, though.

Can give these a go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-book-271437/

FAQ: Explanation Of Each BlackBerry Service Book Type - BerryReview
    11-07-11 01:45 PM
    Awesome - I will start reading those now

11-07-11 01:51 PM
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 2 9900's I received from RIM's marketing team were both unlocked & unbranded with Rogers .261... I'm planning on a wipe and putting in .474 today when i wake up. I've been using it on AT&T and my NFC is there to turn on and off but has been useless aside from making an icon on the homescreen
    11-07-11 02:07 PM
    Weird that you can turn it on but have no functionality. I'm starting to understand the whole service book thing.

11-07-11 03:51 PM
    Just to put you guys straight... NFC is not service book dependent.

11-07-11 04:51 PM
    Just to put you guys straight... NFC is not service book dependent.

Well we need to settle this once and for all. Does anyone have any proof one way or the other?

11-07-11 04:53 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. I don't entirely understand how service books work.. How would that enable/disable the ability to use NFC?

Having NFC up and working takes more than just having the hardware willing. The data that authorizes NFC has got to have network co-operation, the reason for the service books. If you want NFC, you need to go to another device or carrier as until AT&T allows it, it will not work on your device.

It hurts to want so badly
    11-07-11 05:00 PM
    Having NFC up and working takes more than just having the hardware willing. The data that authorizes NFC has got to have network co-operation, the reason for the service books. If you want NFC, you need to go to another device or carrier as until AT&T allows it, it will not work on your device.

It hurts to want so badly
    Thanks for the clarification.
    11-07-11 05:06 PM
    It's down to your phone's Vendor ID which is in turn linked to the OS.

Until AT&T decide to enable NFC, RIM will wite into all OS versions that NFC is disabled on any device with the Vendor ID 102.

It's similar to how some models show 3G, some H+, and some 4G. The carrier decides what symbol they want to show on their supplied handsets, and RIM write that into the OS to suit.

11-07-11 05:10 PM
    It's down to your phone's Vendor ID which is in turn linked to the OS.

Until AT&T decide to enable NFC, RIM will wite into all OS versions that NFC is disabled on any device with the Vendor ID 102.

It's similar to how some models show 3G, some H+, and some 4G. The carrier decides what symbol they want to show on their supplied handsets, and RIM write that into the OS to suit.Finally an answer that makes sense!

11-07-11 09:13 PM
    Folks, I've said from the start that this would not have nfc at release. at&t has not tested it, and it won't roll out until it is tested.

Yes there are a few people that want this service. Right now that is about .001% of the customer base. There is no demand for it in the US yet, calling at&t and requesting it is fine but understand that it will be several months at least before you see it..

PG
    11-07-11 09:34 PM
    A lot of great information in this thread - thanks to everyone who contributed.

11-08-11 09:34 AM
    I originally thought NFC might be service book dependent until I checked mine, and compared them to those on my 9780... and other than the additional carrier bloatware games, they were identical.

The NFC hardware is on your phones, and the software to operate it is present in the OS... it's just disabled in the coding through your device's Vendor ID

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do until AT&T decide to enable it

11-08-11 09:44 AM
    so let me get this right. you are saying if you add a service book it may brick the phone? I just thought if you add the wrong service books they just won't work?

thanks,
    damthrill
    11-08-11 03:55 PM
    so let me get this right. you are saying if you add a service book it may brick the phone? I just thought if you add the wrong service books they just won't work?

thanks,
    damthrill
    No, forget all about service books... NFC has nothing to do with them.

11-08-11 04:41 PM
    So, if it's in the OS level, is there any way to load the correct COD file to start it? What about earlier versions of the OS released to other carriers? Is there a hybrid that can be built? Just curious...
    11-08-11 05:38 PM
    So how does the phone maintain vendor numbers? We delete the vendor.xml on an OS swap, so I'm assuming there is a firmware-type vendor.xml on the phone, can we hack that somehow?
    11-08-11 06:42 PM
    So how does the phone maintain vendor numbers? We delete the vendor.xml on an OS swap, so I'm assuming there is a firmware-type vendor.xml on the phone, can we hack that somehow?
    Your phone's Vendor ID is hard-coded into the device, and cannot be changed. It has nothing to do with the vendor.xml file in an OS.

Just press Alt + Right Shift + H to find yours... AT&T should be 102

11-08-11 06:51 PM
    I guess I should google before I post. Unbranding seems to be somewhat popular... I might try to unbrand this thing... Will advise...
    11-08-11 06:56 PM
    To go back to what I was asking before, where is the rule that AT&T's vendor ID does not install (or blocks) NFC? Is the rule in the actual device firmware? Or is it in the released versions of the OS in Apploader or some other COD for 440 and beyond? The reason I'm asking this is that I'm wondering if this 'rule' was newly placed in 440 and didn't exist for the original OSs that were released. If it does exist in Apploader, can the older versions of the OS load onto the phone and then a hybrid made? (i.e. Old OSs that RIM released prior to AT&T's no NFC rule was made, when RIM might have thought that AT&T would allow NFC)

Anyways, I'm just asking out of curiosity. I'm eligible for an upgrade and am trying to decide to go with AT&T's 9900 or possibly get an unlocked Rogers phone. Plus I'm waiting to see what the white version looks like in person.
    Last edited by frankrig; 11-09-11 at 03:31 PM.
    11-09-11 03:07 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD