Has anyone else tried installing another carrier's OS on AT&T's 9900? If so, did it enabe the ability to use NFC? What OS did you install?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 08:57 PM
    No one has played with other OSs?

11-07-11 12:29 AM
    every version ive used had nfc n im on att... doubt id miss it nothing to do with it yet
    11-07-11 01:58 AM
    Do you have an AT&T branded 9900? They disabled NFC somehow and I was reading elsewhere that it may not be possible to re-enable it just by loading an alternative OS.

11-07-11 07:46 AM
    NFC isn't OS dependant. It enabled/disables directly by the carrier.
    11-07-11 08:56 AM
    Yeah seriously noone on an ATT Bold running 474?

11-07-11 11:02 AM
    NFC isn't OS dependant. It enabled/disables directly by the carrier.
    How does the carrier edit connection options? How do you know for sure?

11-07-11 11:08 AM
    It won't work with AT&T until they send the service book for it. Upgrading the OS will not help.
    11-07-11 11:47 AM
    Any way to grab the service books from another carrier's 9900?

11-07-11 11:48 AM
    Dude....it won't work. But if you think it will, go right ahead. When you have a bricked device, I'll be the first one to say "I told you so". You asked about this in another thread too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/index11.html
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-07-11 11:51 AM
    You're right, I did ask about it elswhere. The answers I received were also speculation. I thought others may have a similar question and it wouldn't hurt for it to have it's own thread.

I'm sorry for my curiosity as it has clearly irritated you.

11-07-11 11:55 AM
    I'm updating to .474 right now, will advise. Also spent an hour with ATT with no satisfaction, and I don't need to hear the "you don't need it" bs, I work with banks building these payments systems, so yea, I need it.
    11-07-11 12:00 PM
    Confirmed, upgrade to 474 brings no NFC joy. Clean install from wiped device, vendor batch file removal, it doesn't show. Calling ATT again to get absolutely no more joy, but at least I get to yell at someone.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    11-07-11 12:13 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. I don't entirely understand how service books work.. How would that enable/disable the ability to use NFC?

11-07-11 12:14 PM
    Confirmed, upgrade to 474 brings no NFC joy. Clean install from wiped device, vendor batch file removal, it doesn't show. Calling ATT again to get absolutely no more joy, but at least I get to yell at someone.
    Wow that sucks!! That totally changes my plan to sell my Rogers and get the ATT one. I already have $25 spent on tags, NFC Launcher app and tags all over the place... ATT blows!
    11-07-11 12:28 PM
    You're right, I did ask about it elswhere. The answers I received were also speculation. I thought others may have a similar question and it wouldn't hurt for it to have it's own thread.

I'm sorry for my curiosity as it has clearly irritated you.

There is no speculation - it does not work. And it won't work until AT&T says it will. Why do you think they delayed the 9900 launch? Part of it was to disable the NFC.

I am not irritated - just don't see the need in adding more threads for the same question that you asked about.
    11-07-11 12:28 PM
    Read the response to my question in the other thread - they were speculative. And you don't think it will be good to have a thread people can refer to if they have a question about NFC on the AT&T 9900 instead of an obscure post in a multi-page thread that will get lost in a day's time?

11-07-11 12:32 PM
    Yeah, a thread about threads is more interesting than one about people testing features and sharing their experiences...

www.crackthreads.com may be a good aidea for some
    11-07-11 12:39 PM
    I might move over to a Rogers device. But if that's on the ATT network, wouldn't it have gotten the ATT service books? So how does that work!? I shouldn't have to. I'm on my 4th ATT call now, I bet I am having to write the executives.
    11-07-11 12:41 PM
    Yeah, a thread about threads is more interesting than one about people testing features and sharing their experiences...

www.crackthreads.com may be a good aidea for some
    That was my original intention.

Back on topic: So how exactly do service books work? Are they transferrable from roger's 9900 to att 9900?

11-07-11 12:41 PM
    I might move over to a Rogers device. But if that's on the ATT network, wouldn't it have gotten the ATT service books? So how does that work!? I shouldn't have to. I'm on my 4th ATT call now, I bet I am having to write the executives.
    Yes, if you are using a Rogers on 9900, then you are using AT&T's service books. You will not get NFC to work with AT&T until they are ready.
    11-07-11 12:45 PM
    That was my original intention.

Back on topic: So how exactly do service books work? Are they transferrable from roger's 9900 to att 9900?

Service books are carrier dependent. This is how they push all the bloat ware onto your device that no one wants to use. If you have a Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc on AT&T, then you are using AT&T's service books. Hence the reason VVM will not work with a Rogers device.
    11-07-11 12:49 PM
    You guys should call ATT, this is actually very humorous. They have absolutely no clue... On my 8th person who asks me if I can get an internet connection...
    11-07-11 12:55 PM
    You guys should call ATT, this is actually very humorous. They have absolutely no clue... On my 8th person who asks me if I can get an internet connection...
    Yeah, be sure to let us know when you give up.
    11-07-11 01:02 PM
    Had to get on an actual work call, so had to give up on my third supervisor. Time to write a letter, it won't do anything except make me feel better, I know...
    11-07-11 01:05 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD