Why do I have to reconfigure all of my backed up and restored apps after a BB OS update on my 9930? Extremely frustrating. Can't RIM find a way to really backup of of your app settings and system state and reload it after the update?

And when will we finally see a "today" screen for this thing? Sux.
    04-21-12 07:39 AM
    It is what it is. You chose to update your OS - it's not that hard to reconfigure apps.
    04-21-12 10:02 AM
    it took me less time to do just that than it did to read this thread and write this post
    04-21-12 10:17 AM
    Really? You opened all of your apps, and reconfigured them in 10 seconds?

I have about 14 apps that I have reconfigure from scratch, like they were installed for the first time. The part that bugs me most is that my coworkers with iphones and androids don't have to go through this after an update. Maybe my expectations are a little too high for RIM to figure out how to do it like the other platforms do.
    04-21-12 10:51 AM
    I agree it's a pain. I wonder if it's some sort of limitation of the OS itself, rather than RIM not building the feature in. The PlayBook OS doesn't have this issue. Add that to the list of reasons why BB10 can't come soon enough.

Some apps will have a backup and restore option, and some will have sign in and restore options. If any of your apps have those using them will make the process a little less painful.
    04-21-12 10:58 AM
    I agree, this should work more seamlessly than it does. It's a PITA to have to reenter the same information every time I upgrade the OS andn it definitely takes longer than it took to write this post. There should be a mechanism for application data to be preserved through an OS upgrade. There should also be a per-application mechanism for the data to be removed/reset in case there are problems.
    04-21-12 11:13 AM
    Or.. and this is more likely. You didn't do the upgrade correctly.
    04-21-12 11:48 AM
    They are right, you have to reconfigure settings for apps and it can be time consuming. It isn't that much of a pain though
    04-21-12 11:52 AM
    Or.. and this is more likely. You didn't do the upgrade correctly.
    I have been doing BB OS upgrades for years, and yes I performed the upgrade correctly. It's working fine after the 10-15 minuted off app tweaking.
    04-21-12 12:07 PM
    It can be a pita, but it is what it is. It doesn't take me long to setup my apps. It's not worth complaining about!
    04-21-12 12:26 PM
    Im pretty sure its a limitation of the java os.. the playbook did this from day one. This means if RIM could have implemented it on their phones, they would have.

Also, its annoying to keep hearing "blackberry this that but my friends 'droids' and 'iphones' dont have this problem".

I feel your pain, but start listing things that your blackberry does better.

For many people, it seems the glass is half empty, not half full.

Blackberry = pessimism
    Droid iphone = optimism.

Grass isnt greener on the other side..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    04-21-12 12:40 PM
    We all have some things that annoy us more than others. I have the crooked track pad on my 9930 and it doesn't bother me a bit. I have read many posts from people who were annoyed about that. This is a BB discussion group and to me it is worth complaining about. Honestly, I have had many users give me suggestions for workarounds to other BB problems I have complained about in the past. So for me this is a good place to vent.
    04-21-12 01:04 PM
    It's a pain - no doubt.

Note though that updated the OS on Playbook requires no similar tinkering. Presumably BB10 will be the same; more like updating an iPhone.
    roadshow likes this.
    04-21-12 01:12 PM
    It's a pain - no doubt.

Note though that updated the OS on Playbook requires no similar tinkering. Presumably BB10 will be the same; more like updating an iPhone.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    04-21-12 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD