I've been tethering my blackberries via bluetooth and USB for a few years now and I'm not opposed to paying for the tethering feature, but I don't think its fair to charge twice for that which has been paid for once! Not to mention, many of us don't even use the 5gb of data that we pay for.

Which is why it would be nice to have a "pay per gig" plan; to only get charged for what you use, or if it takes you 5 months to use 5gb then, well, you get the idea.

Having said that, I've been browsing the hidden admin "help" screen trying to see if there is a way to bypass the proxy or a place to change the APN from epc.tmobile.com to wap.voicestream.com.

I don't know if this is even possible or if anyone has found this workaround yet. I thought I would give it a shot before I commit to the tether plan. I only want it so I can use Google Nav on my Galaxy Tab as a glorified GPS device. (Gmaps sucks!) And it was no longer worth the additional $50 for a second data plan. $15 is better than $50, but like I said, "Why pay twice for what you've already paid for once?"

Thanks again!
    12-06-11 06:50 PM
    under your phone's tcp/ip settings check the authentication enabled, create a random username and password, and give it a shot. This has been working for me so far.
    12-06-11 07:59 PM
    Thanks but that didn't seem to have any effect on the mobile hotspot function. According to the blackberry "help" E-screen my dialup APN is epc.tmobile.com. The hotspot APN is redirecting traffic through pcweb.tmobile.com.

I found this under Engineering Screen Contents\Multi-WAF Engineering Screens\TMM Tunnel Engineering Screen.

And I found the hidden help screen using:
    Enabling UMA on sim free handset - BlackBerry Forums Support Community
    12-06-11 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD