To start off, this isn't your typical thread about charging and bricking. I have enough confidence in my device that I'm hoping it won't brick. And if it does, I'll deal with it then.

My question is more related to battery longevity.

I work from home and have access to a charger pretty much all day except when I'm out. Do you recommend me plugging it imto and keeping it charged when ever I'm home? Or should I let it discharge to 25/50/75% before plug in? Thoughts?
    01-03-12 05:47 PM
    Charge it as low as you can possibly can, including killing it, whenever you can. It's healthier on these batteries to be ran low then charged all the way up without interruption.

No, dont leave it plugged in all day. Just use it.
    01-03-12 06:04 PM
    I have the availablity of keeping mine on the charger all day at work but I choose not to. I just charge when needed or when I need a top off before I leave work.

I'm sure you would be safe leaving it on the charger all day though.
    01-03-12 06:32 PM
    Leaving it on the charger will probably eat up the battery and the memory, decreasing battery life. These batteries are built to be abused, unlike the old batteries whereas continual usage would fry the battery after time.
    01-03-12 06:43 PM
    Leaving it on the charger will probably eat up the battery and the memory, decreasing battery life. These batteries are built to be abused, unlike the old batteries whereas continual usage would fry the battery after time.
    True... but constantly depleting and recharging your battery also decreases the lifespan of the battery as well.
    01-03-12 06:50 PM
    Do what you feel like. New oem batteries can be had for pocket change.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-03-12 06:53 PM
    Do what you feel like. New oem batteries can be had for pocket change.
    Exactly... thats why I don't really prefer one method over the other. One way or another the battery will go and a new one will take it's place.
    01-03-12 06:58 PM
    True... but constantly depleting and recharging your battery also decreases the lifespan of the battery as well.
    Not true. Modern cell batteries you can beat the sh*t out of, and they will continue working as advertised with negligible, if any, decrease in performance.
    01-03-12 07:35 PM
    Not true. Modern cell batteries you can beat the sh*t out of, and they will continue working as advertised with negligible, if any, decrease in performance.
    you are totally mistaken my friend. A lithium-ion battery, Li-ion battery, should be discharged completely only for the first 2-3 cycles and then it should be recharged as often as possible. Li-ion batteries have a life predefined by manufactures like 300 or 500 recharge-discharge cycles. if you completely discharge the battery and then recharge you finish up the life cycle more quickly, where as if you top up the battery frequently then life cycles are longer. you can search the net, contact battery manufactures and still you will get answers much similar to what i have stated as i am myself a engineer and have worked in this field.
    Atakan likes this.
    01-04-12 02:17 AM
    ^^^ that was my original thought and purpose of this thread. Thanks for confirming.
    01-04-12 02:20 AM
    I am amazed after so many years, people still don't get the basic right for modern Li-Ion batteries.

You should not constantly let the battery down to its last drip BUT once a while is ok.

This is Li-Ion battery inside your BB and not the old NiCd where memory effect is an issue. Li-Ion virtually have no memory effect and as such, do not need to be drained to the last drop. Try google it and you'll read more if you dont believe me.

However, once in a while (I dont have the magic number yet) is ok and may help to recalibrate your battery.

- Charles
    01-04-12 04:33 AM
    Charge it as low as you can possibly can, including killing it, whenever you can. It's healthier on these batteries to be ran low then charged all the way up without interruption.

No, dont leave it plugged in all day. Just use it.
    Wow...that's so contrary to proper Li-on battery care techniques and such bad info. You really need to read more about Li-ion batteries.

You NEVER "kill" a Li-on battery. Each time you do, you chip away at its life.

You DO keep it charged often...best practice is NOT To charge to 100% as that counts as a cycle each time you do. Keeping it at a 50-90% charge is very healthy.

Want more info? Read this - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    01-04-12 06:09 AM
    So much battery BS in this thread. No wonder people STILL do not know what to do.

Just use your device. Do not worry about the cheap OEM battery as nothing you do will greatly effect it in the months ahead.

Just relax and enjoy your phone.
    01-04-12 06:58 AM
    Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks for the information guys. I thoiught it was bad on these batteries to do a mid-cycle charge up. Ever since my first blackberry, two phones ago, I've always completely or NEAR completely killed my batteries then completely charged them, and they would still perform flawlessly.

Thanks for the education tho, I'll put my newfound knowledge to play immediately!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-12 08:26 AM
    you are totally mistaken my friend. A lithium-ion battery, Li-ion battery, should be discharged completely only for the first 2-3 cycles and then it should be recharged as often as possible. Li-ion batteries have a life predefined by manufactures like 300 or 500 recharge-discharge cycles. if you completely discharge the battery and then recharge you finish up the life cycle more quickly, where as if you top up the battery frequently then life cycles are longer. you can search the net, contact battery manufactures and still you will get answers much similar to what i have stated as i am myself a engineer and have worked in this field.
    I was just gonna post something similar. Either way its a battery and can be replaced sooner or later depending on how you use it.

At least these batteries are not Ni-CAD. <--painful.
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-04-12 10:07 AM
    As already been said, it is much better for this type of battery to constantly top it up versus letting it fully discharge.

It might be a good idea to run a full discharge cycle every couple of months to re-calibrate with the phone (nothing to do with battery memory, more so that the phone can accurately display remaining battery capacity).
    01-04-12 10:21 AM
    I always charge it when I can
    01-04-12 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD