so it wont be able to be reassigned outside of the media player? because that middle key could easily be redefined to another use outside of the media app, which i rarely use lol
    Well think of it this way.. Your phone and mine both have a "Lock" button on the top left of the phone, and a "Mute" button on the top right of the phone. With the new phone, they just made it so the "Lock" button was the only one on top to make it look cleaner and threw the other one in the middle of the rocker buttons.

As for using a 3rd party app or w.e to change what the middle rocker "Mute" button does... I mean can you currently change your "Mute" key on the top of your phone to do something like load up QuickLaunch or the Camera or anything? Not that I know of, so chances are you wont be able to sadly.

I very rarely use my mute key on my Bold 9650, and I love my left side convenience key. I use my left for QuickLaunch and my right for the camera. I am one of those people that are sad to see the convenience key go because the one that is on the Bold 99xx is in kind of a low awkward spot it seems whereas the left convenience key on my Bold 9650 is in the perfect spot.

All I know is that I guess we will get used to it, we are kinda forced to and all so But I would love to be able to reassign that middle mute button to be something else like QuickLaunch and keep the bottom camera or some other combination. :/

I have to second that. I loved to use the left-hand convenience key to access my contacts on my 8300/8310/8900/9000/9700 & 9780...and having only one on the right hand was a noticeable shortcoming on the 9800 I used briefly (thank God!).

It's not a dealbreaker...but a bummer, for sure that it's the same on the 9900.
    I agree with it not being a dealbreaker, but it is somewhat of a bummer. As for having the left convenience key set "contacts" or "BBM", what is wrong with just pressing the "N" button on the homescreen to get to BBM and the "A" button on the homescreen to get to contacts? The only time that becomes problematic is when you are actually in an app or on the web or something, and that can simply be solved by making it so QuickLaunch is the left convenience key and the same rules apply for the shortcuts on the homescreen keyboard. i.g. left convenience key then pressing "N" brings up BBM and same thing but pressing "A" brings up your contacts, but it works at all times over any app you are in or browser or w.e.

Just some food for thought, I am one of those people that try to make my phone as convenient as possible, and QuickLaunch has enabled me to do so with only one convenience key. Those who are complaining about losing their camera button, you can make QuickLaunch bring up the camera if you press the button twice or some other combination like that. I mean how simple is that? You get to keep your camera button key AND it doubles as a shortcut to EVERYTHING you will ever need on your phone.

I probably sound like an employee of QuickLaunch or something, but I am just an avid user and if it weren't for that app, I would be genuinely pissed about losing a convenience key, whereas now I am just slightly flustered

Those of you who don't have QuickLaunch and have a BlackBerry.. No offense, but you are NUTS! haha I actually bought ShortcutMe and used that for a while until buying Quick Launch and god.. I am happy I made the jump.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-31-11 at 08:57 PM.
    07-31-11 08:42 PM
    It is too bad about omission of the extra convenience key. I went from OS4.5 straight to OS6, so I was thrilled when I finally got the capability to press and hold the BlackBerry key and get the application switcher: no need to assign the application switcher to one of the convenience keys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 08:50 PM
    The left key on all my previous BBs were for Quicklaunch. Guess I can just make the camera button quick launch?
    07-31-11 09:47 PM
    The left key on all my previous BBs were for Quicklaunch. Guess I can just make the camera button quick launch?
    Sure, if you want. I use my right convenience key for CaptureIt, not the camera.

07-31-11 09:49 PM
    Yeah, so you know how Quick Launch works.. Just do that and make it so pressing the shortcut twice opens up the camera and you get the same convenience without losing your quick camera access button (:

07-31-11 09:53 PM
    It is what it is.
    07-31-11 10:21 PM
    Add me to the list of ones that want more than 1 convenience key!

On another topic...
    So there is a mute button in the middle volume rocker!? I like where it is now b/c I don't have to pull the 9700 out to mute it. I have a horizontal case and I think the mute on the new 9900 will mean I'll have to at least flip off the strap and then mute it. ???
    07-31-11 11:19 PM
    Add me to the list of ones that want more than 1 convenience key!

On another topic...
    So there is a mute button in the middle volume rocker!? I like where it is now b/c I don't have to pull the 9700 out to mute it. I have a horizontal case and I think the mute on the new 9900 will mean I'll have to at least flip off the strap and then mute it. ???
    Sounds like you'll have to, come to think of it. If my phone should vibrate during a meeting or ring at an unpleasant time in the office, I would just put my hand in my pocket and press the mute button while at the same time, conversing normally or making no such reaction. Saved my skin a few times, I must say.

08-01-11 04:15 PM
    It is what it is.
    True. Maybe they had a good reason for it, though I cannot figure out any good reason why. I suppose I'll purchase Quick Launch when I get the 9900 in the UK. Or maybe the 9790 will prove to be more fruitful? Great Mark Knopfler song, by the way, "What it Is"

08-01-11 04:17 PM
    If you can not accept the 9900 with only one key then it is time to move on. RIM is not about ready to change this. Two buttons is left over from the "olden days" and they have not done this in several models.

When will people realize that there is no perfect device that meets all their dreams and wishes.

Like pkcable said above, "it is what it is"
    08-01-11 04:48 PM
    The 'Lock' button is on the top
    Here's the video where he shows "the micro usb port" at the top --

-- but yea, it definitely looks like a lock button.

08-01-11 05:12 PM
    Here's the video where he shows "the micro usb port" at the top --

-- but yea, it definitely looks like a lock button.

What are you talking about?

The lock button IS at the top of the phone and the micro USB connector is on the left side of the phone about mid screen.
    08-01-11 05:22 PM
    I know, I know. The video confused me, because the speaker in the video says that the usb port is at the top. That's all.

08-01-11 05:30 PM
    He seemed a little uncertain about what the top button was, but it's definitely a lock button. Micro USB port with an envelope-like cover? Maybe that's another thing to think about. They aren't taking cosmetic 'looks' over the top, are they? So they've moved the mute button to the volume rockers for looks?

*EDIT:
    And really, I guess I'll get over the convenience key riddle one way or an other. It'll have to be done. I just can't figure out why though�
    Last edited by Joel_Zimmerman; 08-01-11 at 07:54 PM.
    08-01-11 07:51 PM
    convenience keys don't matter to me.i usually use the left one for memopad and the right one for calculator.so only 1 won't make a difference for me.
    08-01-11 08:11 PM
    I love having the left/right keys so im dissapointed to see that RIM got rid of the left key on all of the BB7 phones. But it wouldnt surprise me if RIM does away with the right on too on QNX phones.
    08-01-11 09:45 PM
    I can't remember my last two phones having a convenience key.. So technically I'm getting 100% more buttons on the side.. Woot for winning!
    08-01-11 11:14 PM
    The right side convenience key stopped working on my last two 9780's, so this will be no different ha ha.

But seriously, ShortcutMe gives you 3 functions per convenience key, so I'm set.

08-01-11 11:34 PM
    Just assign ql to the 1 key and you will be fine.

08-01-11 11:49 PM
    IQuicklaunch works great I use it all the time. I am going to miss the 2nd key as well. I used one for calender and the other for contacts.
    08-02-11 03:10 AM
    It is just a matter of waking your phone and touching an icon on the screen.

If I have one single thing that I do NOT like about the 9900 it would be the convenience key is TOO easy to push and is starting my camera. So easy, I am going to assign it to do nothing.
    08-02-11 05:26 AM
    i e never used mine in all my years with BBs and ive even helped people "nothing" them a lot. but to each their own
    08-02-11 10:22 AM
    I'm another who thinks that two convenience keys were nice to have. I used the left for Vlingo, and the right for Quicklaunch.

Looks like I'll be using Space for Quicklaunch, because Vlingo requires the use of a convenience key, and multi-tap can't be used on the same key as Vlingo.
    08-03-11 06:07 PM
    I too used both keys on my old Bold. Now there's a convenience key, and a mute key between the volume buttons. Ok, how about you let us make the mute key do something else when not in a call, huh?
    02-28-12 12:13 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD