How many people where going to use this as a serious GAMING app device? This is not an iPhone.

How many people where going to use this as a storehouse for hundreds of apps, many which you probably never use more then a few times? Again, this is not an iPhone.

The large size apps and quantity of apps aren't on BB's. What BB does have are utility apps and they are not that big.

How many do you plan on installing? 10? 50? 100? more? not cause you need them or use them, but because you can? App gluttony is what I think it is.

Can we just bury this stupidity? Cause only people who never intended to buy this generation of phone in the first place or are to ignorant to see past trolling are going to make this a big deal.

You're disappointed? So am I but I still have to deal with you.
    I, for one, only have one game on my BB... thats Catapult. I have never wanted or will want a BB for gaming. What I do want is the ability to install as many apps and themes that I feel like without worrying about space. If I use the apps once a month, who cares. I should still have the resources to keep it there for that one day I want it. I have owned BB after BB that I had to remove the files for voice dialing, and other unused programs and editing those files was getting old before I moved to the 9780. I do not want to go back to those days. I am not jumping ship for an iphone or an Android... I am just extremely disappointed in RIM. Currently I have all the apps I want on my 9780 and I have 191 meg free... more than is available on a 9900 out of the box! Thats just wrong.
    08-10-11 01:40 PM
    i know that people may not use much of the memory for apps but i think that RIM should have put more application memory on this device so that people would have the freedom to decide how much memory they wanted to use without being limited to 188mb of application memory.
    although this is a low amount of application memory this is an improvement on previous blackberry's which is almost embarrassing
    mundo472 likes this.
    08-10-11 01:44 PM
    id rather have a faster phone then more room for games. these are very much stop gaps for RIM so i wouldnt put to much worry into what they can and cant do.
    08-10-11 02:06 PM
    I really don't see the issue.

Maybe I'm just not getting the right apps, because the biggest apps on my phone are Facebook and Nav, both at around 3MB. Next are a few 2MB like Protect, Traffic, Poynt & Vlingo.

All-in-all, I have about 35 apps on my phone, totaling around 30MB. Add in themes, and you're looking at closer to 50MB total.

And since I always remove unused features (additional languages, pre-loaded apps, etc) I don't see running out of app memory anytime soon...or ever.

What are people putting on their phones that will fill over 200MB?
    Last edited by Xader; 08-10-11 at 02:18 PM.
    08-10-11 02:15 PM
    I'm not sure what to think of this.

Yeah blackberry apps don't require all that much memory, with most of the apps I use everyday taking less then 1MB of memory at max. But still I feel like things have a way of sneaking up on you. Wasn't Torch supposed to have 516mb of application memory space? I'm not sure what happened but I'm almost at 200MB right now.
    08-10-11 02:22 PM
    A qwerty gaming phone, that $hit is too funny. What's next, Playbook's in the headrests in your Scion? WTF

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    krandhawa118 and Blacklatino like this.
    08-10-11 02:23 PM
    I'm having second thoughts too; maybe it's time to move to Android.
    Not for me. I have not looked but I am sure I could mozy over to an Android forum and read page after page of complaints about this or that short-coming.

All RIM has done is address complaints about the current BlackBerrys to the best of their ability and *within the constraints of the old OS architecture*. In one sense the old BB OS is more capable than critics give it credit for; but in another sense there are some real technical limits that are baked in for security, etc.
    08-10-11 03:48 PM
    pcgizmo: its never time to move to android.....

08-10-11 03:50 PM
    Its not an issue of whether we need the space or not. Its a matter of having the ability to customize our BlackBerry if we choose. As they say...if you build it they will come.

Let's hypothetically say I work for the CIA, and have built an application that can control a spy satelite. It's a pretty cool app to have and not a game..but because I don't the space I can not even consider doing it. Same with an application that can hack into secured routers...it is great to have, but it may be 90MB and therefore impractical. Is this an exaggeration...of course, however just because we don't see a need for it at this time, we do not need to limit ourselves to where we can't.
    08-10-11 03:53 PM
    That's all....So will 188 MB be enough?
    If it would be enough on your current device then yes. Unless I am missing something, the OS7 devices are intended to mostly run the same old apps. Yes there will be some new apps here and there. But what you've had is what you will have until QNX, I think.
    08-10-11 03:54 PM
    I haven't even got my first BlackBerry 7 device and I'm already looking forward to when RIM announce the first QNX device. Is this a bad thing ?

08-10-11 03:57 PM
    Its not an issue of whether we need the space or not. Its a matter of having the ability to customize our BlackBerry if we choose. As they say...if you build it they will come.

Let's hypothetically say I work for the CIA, and have built an application that can control a spy satelite. It's a pretty cool app to have and not a game..but because I don't the space I can not even consider doing it. Same with an application that can hack into secured routers...it is great to have, but it may be 90MB and therefore impractical. Is this an exaggeration...of course, however just because we don't see a need for it at this time, we do not need to limit ourselves to where we can't.
    I think they are saying if said app was made it wouldnt be on the current platform anyway. If it was they could code it where the bulk of it could be loaded to the sd card. Thats how i understand it at least
    08-10-11 04:09 PM
    It remains unclear to me what RIM's definition of RAM and application memory exactly is. Hypothecally speaking, let's say I have 2MB of application memory left and I were to browse to a 20MB website. What would happen? Will it simply say that there's not enough memory? How does it work?
    08-10-11 04:10 PM
    i have never seen so many people mad about the amount of ram on this phone if you don't like it or it's not good enough then don't buy the damn thing if you want a gaming device then get IOS or Android it's not a gaming device to begin with the apps are small were RIM can get away with it, if it will run smoothly and not lock up then why should anyone care just be thankful you have it SMFH :/
    Im in the same boat with you but to be honest if my phone is running smooth and i have my main apps what i really need them on the phone and i still have 100Mb space available for extra i will be happy ! to be honest i didn't see a huge app so far on app world , and to be honest im not such a huge fan of all the crap apps(fart app) and i might think i have 7 or 8 apps on my phone what i really use every day and all of them use like 40mb to 60mb max
    08-10-11 04:14 PM
    I think they are saying if said app was made it wouldnt be on the current platform anyway. If it was they could code it where the bulk of it could be loaded to the sd card. Thats how i understand it at least
    I understand that, but what I am saying is what if said app was already programmed right now and ready to go. I would have to wait another year or so until QNX drops to run the bulk from storage. I'm not sure on the technical aspects as if the OS could handle it, but I understand the desire to have the ability to try big applications, or a thousand small ones. One of BlackBerry's major draws is the ablity to customize it. Why limit that?

In agriculture there is the law of limiting factors. Whatever the least availible quanity that is found will be what decides the growth. In this case, because big apps can't be made, they won't be made, regardless to whether they are better or not.

I know Office 2007 is a lot better than Docs to Go.
    08-10-11 04:23 PM
    Can someone just fill the damn thing with apps and see how many it can fit? That will settle all of this. I feel like everyone is complaining about nothing. Most bb apps are less than a meg, so you should easily be able to fit 150+ apps on your phone. Is that really too little? Seriously?

Does anyone with an iphone actually have 150 apps? I know that my evo 4g can barely hold 30ish apps without running out of space and forcing me to delete stuff. So i really think this is being blown way out of proportion.
    08-10-11 04:27 PM
    in the past its not so much how many apps its how the memory would leak. Older phones started with 128 MBs and you had like 50 left after the OS was installed. you load 5-10 apps and you have 35 left. Then over the day you would lose 10-12 MBs thru the leak. Thus you would have to perform the battery pull because the phone would run like a POS.

NOW my storm 2 was much better about this and didnt leak much at all. But i do see some people still complaining OS 6 does the same and leaks memory. If OS 7 has this problem still then you will get issues becuase you will still need battery pulls and such which is pathetic in 2011.

I am pretty sure even though the code in OS 7 is 4 years old they have a better handle on these types of issues and the OS 7 phones will perform very well.
    08-10-11 04:48 PM
    Can someone just fill the damn thing with apps and see how many it can fit? That will settle all of this. I feel like everyone is complaining about nothing. Most bb apps are less than a meg, so you should easily be able to fit 150+ apps on your phone. Is that really too little? Seriously?

Does anyone with an iphone actually have 150 apps? I know that my evo 4g can barely hold 30ish apps without running out of space and forcing me to delete stuff. So i really think this is being blown way out of proportion.
    completely agree.. They should honestly just close this thread. When people get impatient, they always end up arguing about anything they can possibly see as a problem.. It's such a joke. I swear to god the second all of you get this phone in your hands, you will stop crying about the 244MB of ram.. Seriously..
    08-10-11 05:18 PM

Average BB user has 5 apps so it should be enough for most people.

On my Android I have 164 right now and plenty of space left.
    08-10-11 05:31 PM
    164,,??? Appsterbation

08-10-11 05:41 PM
    It remains unclear to me what RIM's definition of RAM and application memory exactly is. Hypothecally speaking, let's say I have 2MB of application memory left and I were to browse to a 20MB website. What would happen? Will it simply say that there's not enough memory? How does it work?
    In this case, RAM is a misnomer. The actual RAM that you are talking about is present, and completely separate from the OS and app storage we are discussing here.

The memory we are talking about is simply 768MB of non-volatile flash memory that is used for OS and app storage.

In addition to that, there is another 8GB of built-in flash memory for media storage, and a microSD card up to 32GB can be installed to supplement the 8GB present.

Again, what we are talking about is not RAM, though many people insist on calling it that.
    Last edited by Xader; 06-01-12 at 01:25 PM.
    aNYthing24 and Culex316 like this.
    08-10-11 05:42 PM
    It would disappoint me also. Its just the fact that as of now you a pretty limited to storage space. For a brand new 2011 device it is actually pretty sad. Many people won't fill the space I guess with a BB but just knowing right off the bat you have only 190MB of space is disappointing.
    08-10-11 05:59 PM
    164,,??? Appsterbation

That's after deleting all the crappy/useless ones.

Just to give you an idea of the bigger/intensive graphic ones.....

119MB into "app memory" and 2GB into "media storage"

Some great EA coding.

Glad most do a better job of that.

3-5mb into app memory and 500mb-1gb into media storage.
    This would be just fine on the 9900.
    08-10-11 06:01 PM
    just like imrank128 said somebody should make a videos and just load apps and see what happens
    08-10-11 06:07 PM
    That's after deleting all the crappy/useless ones.

Just to give you an idea of the bigger/intensive graphic ones.....

119MB into "app memory" and 2GB into "media storage"

Some great EA coding.

Glad most do a better job of that.

3-5mb into app memory and 500mb-1gb into media storage.
    This would be just fine on the 9900.
    Alot of those apps are probably to replace features that come out the box with BB OS lol. Been there sold that. Not saying Android is bad just stating facts
    08-10-11 06:19 PM
221 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD