Anyone else find it a bit odd/disappointing to only see 188 MB of application memory free on Kevin's unboxing video? I thought this device had 768 MB of device memory. Does OS7 really use that much RAM?
    Jonathank and mssca like this.
    08-09-11 05:39 PM
    I was a little surprised to see that.... but i dont even remember what my 9650 had originally before I started removing all the junk.

If its 188 out of the box we should be able to get it over 200 no problem by removing the crap lol
    08-09-11 05:43 PM
    Anyone else find it a bit odd/disappointing to only see 188 MB of application memory free on Kevin's unboxing video? I thought this device had 768 MB of device memory. Does OS7 really use that much RAM?
    Well 256 is for the GPU.
    hammman likes this.
    08-09-11 05:44 PM
    all modern OSes pre-allocate a chunk of memory (more than required) to improve the performance by lowering the memory paging, OS 7 might be allocated more memory in order to load and run faster and avoid spinning clocks
    Culex316 likes this.
    08-09-11 05:45 PM
    200MB is still a very small capacity...if the Torch 9860 is to compete with the likes of iOS and Android, 200MB won't cut it for apps and the such.

Heck, I have games on my iPhone of over 300MB!! (Infinity Blade namely), I'm worried right now. The OS can't use that much memory...
    08-09-11 05:46 PM
    Well 256 is for the GPU.
    But does that mean 1GB - 256MB = advertised 768MB or 768-256=512 that would mean, in the second case 512-188=324MB that the OS and the preloaded apps is using.
    mssca and mechanic_joe like this.
    08-09-11 05:48 PM
    200MB is still a very small capacity...if the Torch 9860 is to compete with the likes of iOS and Android, 200MB won't cut it for apps and the such.

Heck, I have games on my iPhone of over 300MB!! (Infinity Blade namely), I'm worried right now. The OS can't use that much memory...
    you are correct iOS and android have far more advanced games and such. BUT you wont see that development on the OS 7 devices. They are stop gaps until QNX which is when RIM finally steps into the world were you will see major development leaps for them. If you were ok in a previous OS 6 device (torch, 9780) you will be fine in an OS 7 device i would think
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-11-11 at 06:02 PM.
    08-09-11 05:49 PM

I've never quite viewed the blackberry as a "gaming" phone and thats just as well.. because that's not what I want. I think OS7 will be a great improvement in terms of speed comapred to OS6... but if I wanted the features of an Android or iPhone.. i would get those.

I love blackberry exactly like it is.... but i will appreciate the faster OS lol
    DCAce, Eli_B, kbz1960 and 6 others like this.
    08-09-11 05:50 PM
    I guess I was really expecting more. Maybe limited due to the physical design/form factor of the device. I am thinking of using my upgrade for this phone as I will not be an early adopter of the QNX devices. It still looks like a VERY solid product from Canadia. I have a pharmaceutical app on my Storm2 which seems to use a lot of resources and hope that the useful apps will not bog down my device. It is really frustrating to get the clock when trying to look up meds.
    08-09-11 05:51 PM
    you are correct iOS and android have far more advanced games and such. BUT you wont see that development on the OS 7 devices. Thjey are stop gaps until QNX which is when RIM finally steps into the world were you will see major development leaps for them. If you were ok in a previous OS 6 device (torch, 9180) you will be fine in an OS 7 device i would think
    I'm running a leaked version of OS5 on my phone, hence I'm desperate to upgrade to one of these.

I've never quite viewed the blackberry as a "gaming" phone.
    Me neither, but I want to ditch that "smartphone" for one device only, and from time to time, a time-killing little game is not bad. However, my point is that 200MB seems way too little space for apps and the OS to run...
    08-09-11 05:53 PM
    you are correct iOS and android have far more advanced games and such. BUT you wont see that development on the OS 7 devices. Thjey are stop gaps until QNX which is when RIM finally steps into the world were you will see major development leaps for them. If you were ok in a previous OS 6 device (torch, 9180) you will be fine in an OS 7 device i would think
    Right on. OS7 wasn't designed with tons of apps in mind. There's no point when QNX is around the corner, which will not only enable more powerful apps, but also for the apps to be stored on expanded memory (not to mention not requiring a reboot to install).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 05:54 PM
    This is my number one (with a bullet) complaint about this phone. The 'RAM' shouldn't be advertised as 768, since the app space is taken from that. My year old SGS has 512mb of RAM (which some of the OS resides in) and 1.8gigs of app space (oh, and apps to sd, but I don't even need to go there).

My good ole Storm ran very fast with no apps, but the more apps you added, the less 'RAM' the device had, until it slowed to a standstill.

Its 2011, 188mb of app space is insulting, imo.
    AbuYazeedUK, csmith954 and mssca like this.
    08-09-11 05:57 PM
    I was a bit taken back by that....makes me ponder waiting till 2012.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 06:01 PM
    There were also a lot of pre-installed apps on the device.
    08-09-11 06:08 PM
    I'm sorry about me ranting, I'm just super hyper uber excited about the new phones, I want my own so much and I'm terribly excited. I just found the lack of memory a bit disappointing...haha (that won't stop me)
    Kanuck34 likes this.
    08-09-11 06:11 PM
    I don't think there's any reason to fret. Bold 99XX users and any users of a OS 7 device can shrink the OS to delete Help files, unused apps, stock themes, ringtones etc. I'm sure Kevin and everyone is already using BB Hybrid Tools or BBSAK to increase the available memory. No need to worry, CB! I'm sure the OS 7 devices have plenty of mem to satisfy your need
    john_v, celeste9000 and Guatiao like this.
    Is there any way possible that the 8GB of onboard memory will be able to hold app storage as well (I mean apps could be considered 'media')? And that 188MB is only for OS-related stuff.
    I don't think there's any reason to fret. Bold 99XX users and any users of a OS 7 device can shrink the OS to delete Help files, unused apps, stock themes, ringtones etc. I'm sure Kevin and everyone is already using BB Hybrid Tools or BBSAK to increase the available memory. No need to worry, CB! I'm sure the OS 7 devices have plenty of mem to satisfy your need
    We should not have to do that anymore. RIM needed to avoid these type of issues to keep what few consumers they have left and this is already a very poor start to their new 'flagship' phone.
    08-09-11 06:13 PM
    I just wanted to see what people in the crackberry world thought about this. I guess we can wait and see some real hands-on reviews of these bad-boys which should give us more insight?
    08-09-11 06:14 PM
    Hmmm, I wonder if there will be the same problem with the upcoming 9860.
    08-09-11 06:24 PM
    Hmmm, I wonder if there will be the same problem with the upcoming 9860.
    I hear you. I can't wait to get mine as soon as SFR releases it (or announces it for that matter). Why, oh why, RIM must you give us French the cold shoulder??
    08-09-11 06:27 PM
    ^^^ The French may get the cold shoulder here, but what of the UK trouble with RIM being blamed for much of the chaos? Should be another thread, but just as a sidebar, why do people make so much of people texting others..
    08-09-11 06:30 PM
    Another thought here, with 3 types of input into the phone (touchscreen/keyboard/trackpad), does this relate to the amount of memory this OS would require?
    08-09-11 06:34 PM
    I was a bit shocked about the low free memory but I think that it will come pre loaded with apps that most of us will delete.

Will find out for sure when I get mine next week.

As long as its faster than my 9520 I will be happy.
    Another thought here, with 3 types of input into the phone (touchscreen/keyboard/trackpad), does this relate to the amount of memory this OS would require?
    it would add to it yes
221 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD