Cause the Bold 9900 will be getting QNX so keeping it like the Playbook. Hey it could happen. Solely my opinion and probably talking out of my you know what
    08-14-11 06:55 PM
    No I think ot was about money
    08-14-11 07:03 PM
    I do too, but also think it may happen. Maybe not officially but a planned leak
    08-14-11 07:05 PM
    Im 99% sure the bold 99XX will NOT be getting QNX ... Where have you heard otherwise?

Also, the torch 9810 and new torch 9850/60 will have autofocus. It's because of the thinness of the phone i guess.
    08-14-11 07:51 PM
    They need to sell hardware man. QNX is perfect reason for you to get another phone just so they can make some kash
    08-14-11 07:52 PM
    or...maybe RIM's management is just incompenent? I think there are many historical facts that corraborate that.
    This. Plus the cheaper option. They defy logic quite a bit.
    08-14-11 08:03 PM
    money and time constraint would be better guess
    08-14-11 08:10 PM
    Cost and technicalities. To go thin, basically..same as in nokia e7..
    Dont know if recent kodak camera's dispute get anything to do with it.
    08-14-11 08:16 PM
    Every phone cannot have every feature.

Why do the other OS 7 devices not have 5Ghz wireless and the 99XX does?

Each device has physical & budget constraints, this is the way with all products.

Owning an Apple is more expensive and Android's are mass produced using slave labor in Asia.

I will stick with BB thank you. Maybe reading the spec sheets would be a good idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 08:18 PM
    Android's are mass produced using slave labor in Asia.
    You could say that about any major phone manufacturer today. Actually, who doesn't use cheap labour or 3rd world countries these days?
    howarmat and Mr Bigs like this.
    08-14-11 08:37 PM
    I would actually say that no BlackBerries are made in the "third world". Though this does depend on your opinion. Canada is definitely a 1st world country, and I would class Hungry and Italy as that too. Mexico and Malaysia I would class as "2nd world" countries though of course labour is cheaper their. But RIM is pretty careful to ensure any place it builds factories has the tech infrastructure and labour force for high tech assembly plants. Not all manufactures are this careful :-/

CS
    08-14-11 09:00 PM
    I think it depends on how you define the various "worlds". Originally, "1st world" meant the US/NATO sphere of influence (i.e. USA and Europe), "2nd world" meant the Soviet sphere of influence, and "3rd world" meant everyone else.

Since then, "3rd world" has been renamed to "developing world", and means countries that don't quite have their political/economic/social infrastructure up to the same level as 1st/2nd world countries.
    08-14-11 09:06 PM
    There's a fine line here. Nearly ALL of the components in a Blackberry are manufactured in Asia - because RIM don't actually manufacture anything. They are assembled in various other countries by RIM. I'll quote a recent article in Forbes:

So where exactly are Blackberrys made? If I were a security-conscious customer, I’d want to know the answer to that question up front but I challenge you to find it mentioned anywhere on the RIM website. When a company doesn’t readily acknowledge its manufacturing supply chain, it tingles my paranoia reflex. Here’s what I learned after about 30 minutes of work. It ain’t good if you’re security-conscious.

According to this 2009 Bloomberg article, RIM’s five biggest suppliers account for 90% of its production costs. They are:

Elcoteq SE: Elcoteq is a Finnish company with a global factory network that includes “a regional office in Hong Kong, branch office of Beijing in Shenzhen, an Engineering Service Center and after-market services unit in Beijing and high-volume manufacturing units in Beijing and Dongguan.”

Jabil Circuit, Inc.: Jabil is a successful U.S. multinational company whose customers include Apple, Cisco, GE, IBM, and Research In Motion. Much of its manufacturing is done in Asia. “Prior to 2005, it acquired a Lucent Technologies plant in Shanghai, China. The company later added the electronics manufacturing business of Varian Inc. to its arsenal. It opened new facilities in China, India, and Ukraine, and expanded plants in Hungary, Malaysia, Mexico, and the United States. During 2006, Jabil set its sights on Taiwan Green Point Enterprises Co., a manufacturer of plastic casings used for items including cell phones, iPods, and Blackberry devices.”

Multi-Fineline Electronix Inc.: A U.S. company who makes RIM’s flexible circuit boards at its manufacturing facilities in Suzhou, China.

QUALCOMM is another important supplier who’s CDMA development center is in Beijing although it’s not clear which of its many overseas facilities supplies RIM.

In all fairness, it’s becoming extremely difficult for any company to not set up manufacturing facilities in China if it wants to stay competitive and, most likely, all mobile phone providers have the same issue as RIM. The difference is that only RIM is selling a claim of secure communications without addressing how they are securing their supply chain. And until they do that, RIM’s enterprise customers should not place their trust solely in RIM’s BES encryption benefit.
    Last edited by kevinnugent; 08-14-11 at 09:17 PM.
    08-14-11 09:11 PM
    Every phone cannot have every feature.

Why do the other OS 7 devices not have 5Ghz wireless and the 99XX does?

Each device has physical & budget constraints, this is the way with all products.

Owning an Apple is more expensive and Android's are mass produced using slave labor in Asia.

I will stick with BB thank you. Maybe reading the spec sheets would be a good idea.

Yeah and the slave owners are now bankrupt and start having riots and cant figure out where their ceilings are and so on. Ends up being slaves of the chinese..hehe
    every manufacturers use ' slave labors' .. See how many illegal immigrants you have.
    Rim use slave labors..otherwise it's 1200$ bold apiece.
    08-14-11 09:26 PM
    My post wasn't really about slave labor.

I was pointing out how people are moaning about the camera on the 9900 and completely ignoring the lesser wireless adapter and lesser memory on the 9850/9860.

Shut up and buy the best one for your needs.

08-14-11 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD