ok, so I now have my 9930 synced with my home modem network from Comcast. So.....I'm assuming that if I have both my "mobile network" and "wi-fi" network buttons checked...that Im using my home modem except for Verizon Wirless related stuff (txting, MMS, etc).

Is this the case? If I "uncheck" VZW mobile network, but leave the wi-fi checked, I can cruise the internet...but TXT, etc would be disabled?

Sorry for being a wi-fi rookie....

thanks...
    08-20-11 07:27 AM
    Ditch the mobile network when using WiFi. I'm on att but I'm pretty sure the rest of your services will run fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 07:56 AM
    I believe you are correct in those assumptions. Some apps may also work but others will require a data connection and not WiFi.
    08-20-11 07:59 AM
    I think the OP is asking, "if I turn off mobile network, do I lose the ability to send/receive texts?"

I think the answer is yes. Anyone want to confirm this? (I don't text terribly often)
    08-20-11 08:01 AM
    I guess another question is this: If I have "both" VZW network and my wi-fi checked....will my blackberry know to use the wifi EXCEPT when needing it for certain items that require it?
    08-20-11 08:01 AM
    Basically everything will work except texting, and some apps that need the data connection (like Appworld)...and you phone of course.

08-20-11 08:03 AM
    Yes to your second question if you have set your phone to "Wifi preferred" in your mobile network options.

08-20-11 08:06 AM
    if you have set your phone to "Wifi preferred" in your mobile network options.

Aghh...I don't see that option on my 9930
    08-20-11 08:13 AM
    I am in the same boat with you. Sadly this is my first wifi phone and I have been using blackberry for the last four years, that should tell you how far behind they have been on the CDMA side of things. I am wondering all of this as well. I would also like to know if voice will work over wifi or if you have to be using a skype or some other voip provider for this to be true?
    08-20-11 08:14 AM
    Aghh...I don't see that option on my 9930
    You won't... it's only available on OS5/6 UMA enabled handsets

08-20-11 08:15 AM
    Yeah, I'm still on the grandfathered $14.99 per month VZW data plan from 2 years ago...so I want to use Wi-fi as much as possible to not go over 250 mb per month..
    08-20-11 08:17 AM
    WiFi will not work for phone calls or txts.

Best way to see what apps and functions will work is to turn off the VZW connection and try your different apps over WiFi only to see what works and what doesn't.

You will get emails and be able to surf the web for sure.
    08-20-11 08:26 AM
    I know certain apps don't use Wifi. That is why when the new Facebook app just got released they made a big deal about that. Just turn it off and see what happens. You can always go to Sprint. Unlimited and no worries.
    08-20-11 08:38 AM
    As long as you don't play Youtube and don't use maps too much you should be able to do under 250mb no problem. When I go overseas I get 75MB allowance and I can usually make it even with some map usage.
    08-20-11 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD