So, I replaced my fairly new Bold a few days back because the antenna "seemed" to be faulty. Sitting still in my office, my 3G signal (2-3 bars) kept bouncing to 1X, then gone completely, then back to 3G.

I'm on the 2nd phone, and it's doing the same thing. Browsing the web is impossible. But BBM, sms and email seem to work fine.

I thought Bb has "great reception"? or maybe I've got another defective unit? Anyone else with this issue?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 11:02 AM
    So, I replaced my fairly new Bold a few days back because the antenna "seemed" to be faulty. Sitting still in my office, my 3G signal (2-3 bars) kept bouncing to 1X, then gone completely, then back to 3G.

I'm on the 2nd phone, and it's doing the same thing. Browsing the web is impossible. But BBM, sms and email seem to work fine.

I thought Bb has "great reception"? or maybe I've got another defective unit? Anyone else with this issue?

The popular theory seems to be that the Radio file in the different OS builds seems to work better with some carriers than others.

See the Official .318 thread for some examples.

Try different OS versions and see if you can find one that works better for you than the others.
    05-09-12 11:06 AM
    I'm on .267. I don't think there's an official release of anything newer from Sprint yet.

05-09-12 11:11 AM
    I've actually found that to be common amongst most of my phones. I've had several blackberrys and several iphones and have always noticed reception to be jumpy (to the point of signal loss and reconnect), especially in buildings. It's incredibly irritating but I don't think your phones are faulty.
    05-09-12 11:12 AM
    My personal experience is having two identical Bold models on Sprint and Verizon.
    Sprints older 3G technology frequently drops out on data streaming. It is worse during the week and it loses antennae strength quite often.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 11:17 AM
    I'm on .267. I don't think there's an official release of anything newer from Sprint yet.

Forget Sprint Offical OS's and try one of the newer versions on offer. .342 seems to be popular with 9930 users.

All you need to do is pick one, download it, install it on your computer, delete the 1 or 2 Vendor.xml files and install via DM as you would an update from your carrier.

If you are not sure about deleting the Vendor files manually use this program to do it for you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...e-tool-709922/
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 05-09-12 at 11:24 AM.
    05-09-12 11:21 AM
    Hey guys,

Same thing is happening to me...I'm in Canada on Bell, but same thing is happening to me. I've tried different OS's, I've been on the phone with Bell, with RIM, no one has any answers but evidently it's a common problem.

Mine seems to pick up service when I try to make a call...but then it just drops back down to 1 bar.

Is yours doing the same?
    05-09-12 06:06 PM
    I am on Verizon and I have noticed areas that for years had great reception no longer do. I believe this is from all the LTE expansion and all the bandwidth being used. Where I have lived for the last 15 years signal was great up to a few month ago but now its terrible. Verizon is blaming it on the loss of bandwidth from all the smart phone sales. They even gave me the opportunity to get out of my contract with no ETF's and I have 5 smart phones in my house.

05-09-12 06:43 PM
    Yea, I was thinking, too, that it's not the phones, it's the carriers and their networks.
    05-09-12 06:51 PM
    Well when I call my carrier, they blame it on Blackberry, and when I call Blackberry they blame it on the carrier...

And I'm left holding the "torch" (or in this case Bold) so to speak...

Can someone with a working HSPA+ Bold tell me which OS they're using?

Thanks
    05-10-12 03:58 PM
    I can say my iphone4 on att will not show a signal loss in my hand hardly ever , but phone calls won't come thru , text will and calls are garbled in weak areas where my 9900 performs outstandingly in calls but at the same time it may have No service until you hold it upside down for a few seconds then its fine.
    curt.vickers likes this.
    05-10-12 09:01 PM
    Signal dropping in strength when a call is made has been around since the early cell phones. I think it is the cell site closest to you is too busy and you get handed off to a further away cell site.

There is an app you can download from a post in a forum here that will give you the identity and location of the cell tower you are on and even plot it on BlackBerry maps. I think it is called signaloc.
    curt.vickers likes this.
    05-10-12 09:40 PM
    Ok, will give it a shot.

Thanks for the input folks.
    05-11-12 06:19 PM
    I'm on my 2nd 9900. It has worse reception than the first on any OS. It's just weak quality control, and lots of people have had multiple bad phones in a row. I'd try again.
    05-11-12 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD