Hello all,

Its a really sad moment when i found my 9900 died out of no where. Lost all my new contacts, chat history, apps, and many more appointments that i have not synced with my Mac with yet.

I was actually really happy with my 9900 (switched from a 4s). But i seriously cannot believe that it died with only 2.5weeks of usage.

When i checked the phone, nothing responded. Battery pull doesnt seem to fix it. Tried plugging into Mac and see if DM can detect the phone, and nothing happened. The only thing that i can see that is still functional is the little LED light on the touchPad.

Well, taken it back to the store (not official reseller/carrier) and they said since its 2.5weeks old, they will not honour an exchange. And they have to send it back to RIM for repair. They have told me that the whole process will take around 2-3weeks. In which, i wont have a phone to use. I called RIM and see if they can do anything about that, to see if i can speed up the process. And they just simply told me, No, there is nothing they can do to speed up this process.

Hope they really change the attitude of their Customer Service Department, and actually make a phone that works.
    01-12-12 10:24 PM
    Who is your carrier? With Verizon, they just swap it out on the spot in the store. Badda bing!
    01-13-12 01:00 AM
    Woow, just died after 2.5 weeks .....Kinda strange that they didn't give you a new phone.
    01-13-12 01:31 AM
    Well I'm not sure of anyone know about a place called pacific mall in Toronto. That's where I got my phone. And it's kind of a store where they just sell unlocked versions of phones. Not the official resaller.
    01-13-12 01:40 AM
    Yah, since you didn't go through an official seller, you're kinda stuck with the customer service that the place you purchased from offers. What carrier did they unlock it to? Might be a shot in the wind, but you could try the carrier you are using...

I'm from the US, and I'm not surprised RIM can't do anything, everything is through the carriers here.

But, are you sure the store gave you a new device? if they sell unlocked phones, you really don't know whose had the device you are using...

Sorry to hear the sad story, good luck getting a working device!
    01-13-12 04:17 AM
    Who is your carrier? With Verizon, they just swap it out on the spot in the store. Badda bing!
    Badda bing?

The OP is out of Hong Kong
    01-13-12 05:30 AM
    What OS were you running at the time?
    01-13-12 06:38 AM
    Well I'm not sure of anyone know about a place called pacific mall in Toronto. That's where I got my phone. And it's kind of a store where they just sell unlocked versions of phones. Not the official resaller.
    Sorry to tell you, but Pmall cannot be trusted. It has a reputation for selling many fakes or providing horror customer service. I'm pretty sure they sold a phone which is with a provider such as Rogers or Telus. If the phone carrier is the same as yours, just call your provider and warranty it. People normally say it takes 2-3 weeks for phones to be fixed, but it actually doesn't and they are just lazy.
    01-13-12 07:59 AM
    Losing your data sucks...
    My device is robust
    01-13-12 08:54 AM
    Sorry to tell you, but Pmall cannot be trusted. It has a reputation for selling many fakes or providing horror customer service. I'm pretty sure they sold a phone which is with a provider such as Rogers or Telus. If the phone carrier is the same as yours, just call your provider and warranty it. People normally say it takes 2-3 weeks for phones to be fixed, but it actually doesn't and they are just lazy.
    I actually got the phone from my girlfriend as a christmas present (and shes no phone expert). And i am currently with rogers. You think i should just get the phone back from them (pmall) and contact rogers myself?

And also, what can i even say to rogers since i'm not the official "user" that bought the phone from them. Do i just bring in the phone to them and have them take a look at it?

b

Update: Called rogers, and they have checked the IMEI number and they said the phone is not from rogers. I do not have another provider within my family. Is there anyway i can get my phone fixed/replaced rather than going through Pacific Mall.
    Last edited by pl4ter; 01-13-12 at 03:04 PM.
    01-13-12 02:34 PM
    Best bet is Pacific Mall, or wait for RIM to fix it.
    01-13-12 04:51 PM
    U r out of luck... even if you find out which service provider the phone was originally locked to, they will only send the phone out for warranty if you have the receipt that the phone was purchased from the service provider or one of it's authorized dealers.

RIM will not deal directly with the end user unless you want to pay a starting price of few hundred dollars to RIM. Playbook is the only exception where RIM will provide support to the end user.
    01-14-12 01:17 AM
    ouch sorry to hear eh!
    01-14-12 01:22 AM
    Mine has been working great since I bought it. I hope it doesn't die on me. Sorry to hear about yours
    01-14-12 03:37 AM
    damn, thanks for all the input tho. Really missing my 9900!
    01-17-12 01:33 AM
    Maybe you should just ask your gf what carrier the phone is from. She had to have gotten it Somewhere.
    01-17-12 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD