Here is the official information about the update. Unfortunately, it's the same as Sprint's.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...e/bold9930.pdf
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 01-06-12 at 01:50 PM.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-06-12 12:40 PM
    Thanks for the post! Based on my experience, I know there's no reason to expect this to run any better/different than sprints on my vzw 9930, but the geek in me just wants to load the vzw os just for fun to see. Its like knowing you're going to get shocked when you touch the car door but just can't avoid it.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    Thud Hardsmack and Coraya like this.
    01-06-12 12:56 PM
    Thank you for the informative post Urban, looks great

01-06-12 01:05 PM
    What if you aren't having any of the issues it's supposed to fix?

Maybe I'll wait and see what happens with all of you guys...
    01-06-12 01:58 PM
    What if you aren't having any of the issues it's supposed to fix?

Maybe I'll wait and see what happens with all of you guys...
    I noticed some bugs listed that I couldn't see before on 7.0.0.374 as well. But a lof of them I could replicate and I can confirm have been fixed.
    Some of these include..

"Device will no longer reset while connected to a charging source."
    This happened to one of mine, though it actually bricked the device while charging and I could not restore it resulting in having to get a replacement device. This could be related.

"While in a global roaming condition, connect to a previously registered CDMA
    network without experiencing lengthy search periods."

This is likely a reason for noticeably better battery life in the new 7.1 build since it cuts down on network search periods.

"Improvements in home screen responsiveness and reduced touch screen lockups."
    Also something many are experiencing. This is a nice improvement. I don't experience nearly as many black clocks/lockups as I used to.

"No longer experience delays in audio reception or unexpected call termination."
    I think I did get a few dropped calls prior to the update. (I even jokingly blamed it on the recipient since they had an iPhone.. )

"The zoom in and zoom out function on the browser application renders the
    page properly."

It's still not perfect, but browser performance has noticeably improved.

"When downloading an application, the device will display the correct number of
    bytes being downloaded."

This was a VERY annoying bug that has clearly been fixed. I noticed it right off the bat. Downloads also seem MUCH faster in the browser and app world. I get intermittent black clocks here, but they no longer leave me unable to do other things. This is huge.

"Device now supports Wi-Fi Mobile Hotspot (MHS)."
    Speaks for itself. I won't pay for mobile hotspot since I don't need it, but it's a nice added feature for those that do.

I would HIGHLY recommend everyone to update to this build. If you're not having issues with the current build, it's not necessary. But I found the noticeably better battery life, improvements in browser/download speeds, and download bytes indicator bug fix alone makes this a must for me.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-06-12 02:21 PM
    Don't see why it would be any different, but curious to see if I get the instant battery percentage drop on this os.
    01-06-12 02:44 PM
    Don't see why it would be any different, but curious to see if I get the instant battery percentage drop on this os.
    I imagine it'll still be the exact same. I don't know whether the battery life itself is decreasing or the indicator doesn't show the correct reading. It is a bit annoying though.
    01-06-12 02:51 PM
    is sprints bad or what?
    01-06-12 03:02 PM
    I don't see how it would be any different either. But I'm sure I'll download and install.
    01-06-12 03:16 PM
    is sprints bad or what?

Was worse than .374 in my opinion. Fixed a few things but broke even more.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    01-06-12 09:12 PM
    Awful awful OS. Really disappointed that VZW is releasing the same thing.
    01-06-12 09:52 PM
    Any ETA on the OTA?
    01-06-12 10:23 PM
    BlackBerry� Software Updates

I'll be watching up there for a release. Hah, 10/25/11 as the latest... pathetic.
    01-06-12 10:40 PM
    Anyone know if there's a special data plan needed for hotspot? and while the hotspot is on, no incoming or outgoing voice calls?
    01-07-12 12:49 AM
    Anyone know if there's a special data plan needed for hotspot? and while the hotspot is on, no incoming or outgoing voice calls?
    Yes. I believe it requires an additional $20 tethering plan from Verizon.

Good question about the hotspot. To my knowledge, it will cut the hotspot data if a call is picked up. So no simultaneous usage of both data/voice as usual with a CDMA network like Verizon/Sprint.

(If it were LTE/GSM, this would not be a problem.)
    01-07-12 01:50 AM

Yep VZW will get you for $20 per month for 2GB. This is addition any data plan you currently have. No way around it yet.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-07-12 02:15 AM
    Is there any software to make the hotspot use the "regular" data? 2GB on a hotspot will last a day with people actually using it. My kids go through 200-300MB per day on their iPhones watching youtube videos and downloading apps. The carriers really were unreasonable when they killed unlimited plans and made 2GB the magic number. 10GB would be reasonable to control people going to crazy.
    01-07-12 02:34 AM
    I just logged into my account on VZW and when I clicked on software up date I got a coming soon page so hopefully Sunday or Monday
    01-07-12 07:10 PM
    Yeah, no luck for me either. To be honest it's not a big deal, I won't use the hotspot, I really just want a fix to that damn browser memory leak that pops up every day or so...
    01-07-12 09:53 PM
    I just logged into my account on VZW and when I clicked on software up date I got a coming soon page so hopefully Sunday or Monday
    I'm confused. I also see the same message for coming soon. Is this 7.0 release 1739? or a newer one.
    01-08-12 12:45 AM
    I'm confused. I also see the same message for coming soon. Is this 7.0 release 1739? or a newer one.
    The version that is currently available is the one that they released some time ago. They haven't released the 7.1 build yet...
    01-08-12 09:55 AM
    The version that is currently available is the one that they released some time ago. They haven't released the 7.1 build yet...
    Thanks. So the Coming Soon one is 7.1 with hotspot enabed?
    01-08-12 12:16 PM
    The 7.1 will have the Hotspot. Verizon does charge for it though. It $20 for 2gb of data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-12 01:35 PM

Yes it does... I already have it and hotspot does work.

01-08-12 01:55 PM
    The 7.1 will have the Hotspot. Verizon does charge for it though. It $20 for 2gb of data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks. I pay $55 per month now for a Sprint Aircard, so the hotspot may be interesting for me. Except for the part I can't use the phone at the same time.

Is the 2GB for $20 plan listed on Verizon website somewhere? Would it be called tethering?
    01-08-12 01:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD