Just so I don't mess anything up... save as all files and let it overwrite the alx file you are editing correct?

When I do this, it says access denied.
    Are you on Win7? Do you need admin rights? I run XP, so I just open the alx files, make the edit and then close it saving my changes.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    04-18-12 02:09 PM
    Just so I don't mess anything up... save as all files and let it overwrite the alx file you are editing correct?

When I do this, it says access denied.
    Rather than editing the .alx files... just delete them.

If there's no .alx file present for a module, the cods won't get installed to your phone.
    04-18-12 02:11 PM
    Are you on Win7? Do you need admin rights? I run XP, so I just open the alx files, make the edit and then close it saving my changes.
    Yes Win7 and I changed the permissions. Worked.

Rather than editing the .alx files... just delete them from the Java folder.

If there's no .alx file present for a module, the cods won't get installed to your phone.
    Delete the cod(s) from the Java folder correct? I don't see any alx files, only cod.
    04-18-12 02:13 PM
    Delete the cod(s) from the Java folder correct? I don't see any alx files, only cod.
    No, just delete the .alx files from the main folder. You don't need to delete the .cod files.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    04-18-12 02:15 PM
    No, just delete the .alx files from the main folder. You don't need to delete the .cod files.
    Ok cool. I remember doing something like that to remove BBM way back.
    04-18-12 02:17 PM
    Rather than editing the .alx files... just delete them.

But will deleting the alx file make the app removable once you've installed the OS?
    04-18-12 02:30 PM
    But will deleting the alx file make the app removable once you've installed the OS?
    No. By removing the alx file, the app doesn't get installed to your phone, or even show up in the list on DM.
    04-18-12 02:34 PM
    I didn't try Phill's way, but pcgizmo's worked for me.

Phill, once the OS installed, how is the app removed? Or is it best to do this prior to uploading the OS on to the device?
    Last edited by dustanh; 04-18-12 at 02:40 PM.
    04-18-12 02:37 PM
    Phill, once the OS installed, how is the app removed? Or is it best to this when you or changing the OS on the device?
    By deleting the alx file from the OS folder, the app is never installed to your phone in the first place, so there's no need to remove it later.

EDIT - Sorry guys, I joined this convo halfway through and didn't realise what you were trying to achieve. My method of deleting the alx file is only useful PRIOR to installing the OS. If you've already installed the OS and then want to remove a locked app/module, then use pcgizmo's method.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 04-18-12 at 02:45 PM.
    04-18-12 02:40 PM
    By deleting the alx file from the OS folder, the app is never installed to your phone in the first place, so there's no need to remove it later.
    Ok, I follow you. I'll try deleting the alx on the next OS change.
    04-18-12 02:42 PM
    No. By removing the alx file, the app doesn't get installed to your phone, or even show up in the list on DM.
    OK, so my post is correct. The member I was repsonding to asked how to make them optional and remove them once installed. Deleting the alx files doesn't do that.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-18-12 at 02:47 PM.
    04-18-12 02:43 PM
    OK, so my post is correct. The member I was responding to asked how to make them optional and remove them once installed.
    True, I just re-read the whole convo and edited my previous post to that effect.

Sorry for the confusion.
    04-18-12 02:47 PM
    I will keep that in mind though, next time I update. It's usually after I update the OS that I smack my forehead and have to go back and remove stuff.
    04-18-12 02:53 PM
    Just re installed full .342 to replace teh .342/318 combo.

PROBLEM HELP !!!

When it rebooted after install didn't ask for my Blackberry ID as usual, phone service works but no e.mail.

In set up asked me for BES activation password, I AM NOT ON BES but am on BIS

I now have no e.mail, suggestions please, re install ???

APOLOGIES POSTED IN 9930 THREAD IN ERROR BUT THE QUESTION REMAINS THE SAME !!!
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 04-18-12 at 03:06 PM.
    04-18-12 03:04 PM

PROBLEM HELP !!!

When it rebooted after install didn't ask for my Blackberry ID as usual, phone service works but no e.mail.

Have your tried to wipe and reload the OS?
    04-18-12 03:14 PM

PROBLEM HELP !!!

If it were mine, I'd : Security Wipe > Reload OS
    04-18-12 03:15 PM
    This is much better than that piece of junk leak 340. I just have to go back and remove some of the crap they force on the device: Help, VVM, and Caller Name ID.
    How do you get caller name ID off. I shrunk the OS, but it always shows up, along with VZW PTT.

Edit: Looks like you answered it since the last time i read the thread.
    Last edited by wazzugrad; 04-18-12 at 03:23 PM.
    04-18-12 03:17 PM
    How do you get caller name ID off. I shrunk the OS, but it always shows up, along with VZW PTT.
    Look for a file named VerizonPTT.alx or something to that effect, then:

Browse to the folder where the .alx files are located (do a search for help.alx).
    Right Click on Help.alx and choose edit
    Open with Notepad
    Press Control-F to Find the word required
    Change the word true to false
    Close and save
    Launch Desktop Manager and now Help is no longer required

Repeat for VVM and CallerNameId
    If I remember correctly, CallerNameId is cequint.alx
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-18-12 at 03:52 PM.
    wazzugrad and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-18-12 03:19 PM
    Lokk for a file named VerizonPTT.alx or something to that effect, then:

If I remember correctly, CallerNameId is cequint.alx
    Just to add a little side note, if you are on Win7, you will have to right click the file and go to properties to change the permissions to allow.
    wazzugrad likes this.
    04-18-12 03:35 PM
    I deleted Verizon Name ID and push to talk with the new version Of BBH Tool.
    wazzugrad likes this.
    04-18-12 03:43 PM
    Thanks prince, like I said earlier, I wasn't sure if BBH Tool could remove them or not. I don't really use it that often.
    04-18-12 03:51 PM
    Ill have to look into this, i could remove them. I must have an older version.
    04-18-12 03:56 PM
    it's a multilanguage or only English guys??
    04-18-12 04:41 PM
    it's a multilanguage or only English guys??
    multi

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.1149 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 7.1.0.1149
    10char
    04-18-12 04:52 PM
    Browse to the folder where the .alx files are located (do a search for help.alx).
    Right Click on Help.alx and choose edit
    Open with Notepad
    Press Control-F to Find the word required
    Change the word true to false
    Close and save
    Launch Desktop Manager and now Help is no longer required

Repeat for VVM and CallerNameId
    Thank you very much!! I will be doing this right now. Again, Thanks.
    Jim
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    04-18-12 05:45 PM
163 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD