The radio file in .540 was crap. Which was why the OS got pulled. So don't make a hybrid using the radio file from .540. If you do make a hybrid then use .503.

Can somebody clarify this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-11 06:50 AM
    Hi all,

How can I select 2g mode only? When I update my Vodafone bb9900, 2g only mode disappears!! I can only choose between 2g&3g or 3g only.

The only way of having '2g only' is to downgrade to stock version .296. How can I make it appear in newer versions???

Thank you in advance
    You supposed to have all three options. The only time that the 2g option would not be there is that there's a problem with your carrier. I've noticed that in SA the MTN network doesn't allow for 3g only but Vodacom does. So its probably the same thing.

12-12-11 06:53 AM

We don't know the reason why .540 was pulled from RIM's website but it wasn't because of the radio file, he's just speculating.
    12-12-11 06:54 AM
    Also, when I reboot the device, I do not have "verifying software" load before, it goes straight to the home screen. Is this normal?
    12-12-11 07:00 AM
    Nobody can clarify that... it's BS, and pure speculation.

.540 works fine for most users, and .503 works fine for others.

There's only one way to find out which one works best for you...
    12-12-11 07:12 AM
    Also, when I reboot the device, I do not have "verifying software" load before, it goes straight to the home screen. Is this normal?
    It is normal... that was an OS6 feature.
    12-12-11 07:13 AM
    I work for a major UK operator who pulled the s/w, and can confirm this was the reason why...

I'm not at obligation to say who I work for though.
    12-12-11 07:50 AM
    I work for a major UK operator who pulled the s/w, and can confirm this was the reason why...

I'm not at obligation to say who I work for though.
    .540 was pulled by RIM, not the network providers... and no reason was given as to why.

It's still official with Orange Switzerland, so it can't have been anything too serious.
    12-12-11 07:56 AM
    Well I can confirm that was the reason why it was pulled here.

Also, you may not see a changelog here for each version of OS that gets released, but we do here, we see what's been fixed and added in each version.
    12-12-11 09:34 AM
    Well I can confirm that was the reason why it was pulled here.

Also, you may not see a changelog here for each version of OS that gets released, but we do here, we see what's been fixed and added in each version.
    So are you able to tell us what has changed/been fixed in .585 over.540 and .503 ?

Given the lack of official information regarding OS changes from RIM it would be great if you could illuminate us.
    ericoen likes this.
    12-12-11 09:50 AM
    So are you able to tell us what has changed/been fixed in .585 over.540 and .503 ?

Given the lack of official information regarding OS changes from RIM it would be great if you could illuminate us.
    I'd like to add a question, would it be harmful to the phone if some of us stayed with 540?
    Thanks
    12-12-11 10:30 AM
    No, it's an AllLanguage build... but it still has Arabic
    Hi Phil,

I downloaded the software and already installed it on my device, after that I went to Application trying to Arabic, I didn't find it! can you help me please!
    12-12-11 10:31 AM
    just for clarification the radio file is located in the UMTS folder and the file should be named something like "rim0x07001204.sfi"
    The file name in the folder in .540 is identical to that in .585, does it actually have different content ???
    12-12-11 10:49 AM
    The file name in the folder in .540 is identical to that in .585, does it actually have different content ???
    The .585 one is about 5kb larger than the .540 one, so it's a safe bet the content is different.
    12-12-11 10:56 AM
    Sorry guys but for me .540 is still the best OS out there. .585 was causing me so much trouble it just wasn't worth it.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, just for me.
    I'd like a newer 7.1. Though.
    12-12-11 11:03 AM
    Sorry guys but for me .540 is still the best OS out there. .585 was causing me so much trouble it just wasn't worth it.

What were your troubles with .585 ? Would be helpful to know.
    12-12-11 11:04 AM
    I don't think it would be harfmful no. And for some reason .540 appeared on the spreadsheet, but there was no changelog for this, and it was soon removed. I did speak to a TECH TEAM member and they said there was a faulty radio file, apparently data was transmitted out slower with it then other radio files.

But maybe that guy just read this forum?

Also the only other OS this particular network have is .296 which is stock firmware, for all OS7 devices.

With regards to changelogs for the versions of software that are released... I would be happy to provide, for all OS5, 6 and 7 releases. Just ask
    12-12-11 11:06 AM
    . I did speak to a TECH TEAM member and they said there was a faulty radio file, apparently data was transmitted out slower with it then other radio files.
    If .540 was transmitting data slowly could this be the reason it gave such good battery life ? Maybe the radio was not using so much power ?

Im not a techie so may be wide of the mark, just a thought ...
    12-12-11 11:14 AM
    I too am running .585 with the .540 radio file without incident. I installed this partly because I trust Phill and partly because I had never run a hybrid (even a basic hybrid) and wanted to do it myself.
    Maybe I missed this in an earlier post but what was wrong with the .585 radio file though?
    12-12-11 11:37 AM
    Maybe I missed this in an earlier post but what was wrong with the .585 radio file though?
    Good question, I can not recall anything in this thread or the leaked .585 one complaining about signal issues, in fact if I remember correctly some were saying signal was better than .540.

Some were saying that battery was not as good as .540 for them, maybe this was due to the standard .585 radio file ?
    12-12-11 11:46 AM
    Does anyone know if there's any app to force the device to use 2g band only ??
    12-12-11 12:22 PM
    Hi Phil,

I downloaded the software and already installed it on my device, after that I went to Application trying to Arabic, I didn't find it! can you help me please!
    Connect the phone to the DTM, push the Application button, and when it reads all the applications, choose the Arabic to be installed.
    12-12-11 12:25 PM
    I think I'll stay with .540 for now. Although switching the radio file from .540 to .585 sounds tempting
    12-12-11 12:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. .585 with the .540 radio file has been rock-solid for me since yesterday morning. I've been seeing 1.5% battery drain all day today, right up until a reboot after installing the new BBM beta. This is the quickest I've had an OS stabilize; the last time it took .540 three days before battery drain returned to something steady and acceptable, and that was nowhere near as good as I'm seeing right now. I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
    12-12-11 12:43 PM
    Sorry to hear that. .585 with the .540 radio file has been rock-solid for me since yesterday morning. I've been seeing 1.5% battery drain all day today, right up until a reboot after installing the new BBM beta. This is the quickest I've had an OS stabilize; the last time it took .540 three days before battery drain returned to something steady and acceptable, and that was nowhere near as good as I'm seeing right now. I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
    I have 2 questions please:
    1- Some you are saying that .585 with the .540 radio is best, but then RIM pulled .540 because it has something wrong with its radio < how is that ?
    2- In the above combination, is .585 responsible for the battery ?
    12-12-11 12:55 PM
323 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD