10-15-11 07:07 PM
730 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    picked my 9930 from Verizon yesterday! Left a 9630 for a Droid X and now I am back to a 9930. I forgot how much better I can type on a physical keyboard. Sure the screen is smaller than the droid X but i think the 9930 has a higher pixel density. Not sure but the screen is very clear nonetheless.

Lets hope RIM keeps bringing products like these.
    09-05-11 12:52 AM
    I got my BlackBerry Bold 9930 today from Verizon! It's amazing so far.
    I have one question though. I inserted my memory card and it has all of my pictures and videos on it. How do I access my pictures? It says that there are no pictures in my library for some reason.
    If you upgraded from any other device than a Blackberry they aren't in a folder that the phone knows to look in.

1. Stick your memory card into an adapter and stick it in your computer
    2. Move the files you want to save to your computer
    3. Format the memory card
    4. Stick the card back into the BB (it will create the right folders
    5. Put the card back into your computer and copy the files back into the correct directories (under /blackberry )
    Mikey112 likes this.
    09-05-11 01:04 AM
    Got my 9900 on Aug 31st from T-Mobile and I love it!!! It comes with 7.0.0.250 (which doesn't support UMA). Only two complaints are no UMA or autofocus. But that's a small price to pay for such an amazing device. Definitely worth the upgrade from my 9700...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 01:25 AM
    Due to my business I get two or three Blackberries a year. In my opinion the original Blackberry Bold 9000 was an excellent piece of kit, everything since has been a disappointment and quite frankly I wonder if RIM are going the way of Nokia.

First impressions on the 9900 - great they have seen sense and reverted to the original keyboard size. Second, great build quality and slim, HD video fantastic. From then on it's all downhill.

1. Battery life is appalling.
    2. The touch screen is largely a gimmick, though I guess combined with the larger screen size at least the stupid OS6 tray system makes a BIT more sense. A touch screen needs a big screen, period.
    3. Only one convenience key - oh I forgot - Blackberries aren't for busy people any more.
    4. Browser still not good enough. The much better Bolt browser also doesn't work as well as it did in OS 6.
    5. (OK an OS gripe) still no replacement for the vastly superior Viigo application.
    6. The speakers are not as good.
    This is NOT a phone for business users. Are RIM purely concerned with the teen girl market now?

Last edited by markphr; 09-05-11 at 04:36 AM.
    09-05-11 04:29 AM
    I finally got mine from Handtec! Quite pleased with it!

How long does it take the CB app store to approve my PIN change??

09-05-11 06:29 AM
    Bought my Bold 9900 last friday, and im in love. My first BB was the bold 9700 and fell in love. Was the first phone i didnt get bored of half way through my contract. The new Bold is crazy good. Well worth the 200 i paid to upgrade early!
    09-05-11 09:41 AM
    Got my Bold 9930 on Saturday so far I do like keyboard when I compared it to the Tour I had months ago. I was a webOS user was using the Pearl 8130 and the Storm 2 for the past few weeks just to get use to the Blackberry way of doing things. The first thing I notice about the BlackBerry OS 7 is the web browser is a lot better than the webOS web browser. I seem to get more stuff done with a Blackberry phone, with the Droid X I have I seem to be playing around with my phone more than getting work done. I also didn't like how the Droid X just restarts for no reason, like 3 times in a span of an hour. BlackBerry OS is so much more stable for me unlike the other platforms. Loving the phone so far.
    09-05-11 11:39 AM
    Sorry to be a killjoy here, but i returned my Blackberry 9900, for a full refund of my $600.00, after spending six hours with both T-Mobile Blackberry support and Research In Motion tech support. This device and its 7.0 software are definitely not ready for prime-time. Maybe at some point in the future they will be, but not at this point. I returned the 9900 for a refund because:

-There is no "Wi-Fi Calling" (UMA/GAN functionality), and neither T-Mobile nor Research in Motion can make any firm commitment on if and/or when the functionality might become available on the 9900.

-17 of my most important Apps are not available for the 9900, including Research in Motion's own Blackberry Protect, Pandora, CNN, Delta, British Airways, Shazam, etc. Neither T-Mobile nor Research in Motion had any idea if and/or when these popular Apps might become available for the 9900.

-Despite the fact that T-Mobile sells the Blackberry 9900 in their stores, they do not make the software available on their site. When the software becomes corrupt with Java errors as it did in my case, there is no way to reload the Blackberry software. Research in Motion will not offer replacement software if the carrier does not make it available to their customers. T-Mobile does not yet offer it on their site. What that means is that T-Mobile customers who have corrupt software on their 9900 are simply out of luck!

After more than six hours of working with both companies, we simply gave up. I returned the 9900 for a full refund. For the first time I am looking at Androids and iPhones....
    09-05-11 01:58 PM
    @travelingMike -

UMA - is not a deal breaker, surely?
    BlackBerry Protect - works for me. Weird
    OS - surely you can get an OS from RIM directly, no? Doesn't have to be T-Mobile specific, but...
    09-05-11 02:26 PM
    I received my BB Bold touch Aug 31st 1st day it released for T-Mobile...the sales person unboxed it for me in put my sim card in..I couldn't wait til I got home 2 transfer devices...I love my 9900 Is so smooth and deliecate.. Right now I can't decide Wht casing I want bc I don't want 2 take away from the beautiful hardware...

Kasha BB touch..

09-05-11 02:30 PM
    @travelingMike -

OS - surely you can get an OS from RIM directly, no? Doesn't have to be T-Mobile specific, but...
    Hey Navi -

Yes, UMA is a deal breaker - I spend 3 months per year overseas so UMA means the difference between free roaming (on UMA) or $3.00/minute roaming (without UMA). UMA is the only reason I stay with T-Mobile, as no other US carrier offeres it.

BlackBerry Protect - how long have you been able to use it? As of Thursday of last week, on RIM's own site, the description of the product did not list the 9900 as a compatible device, and any attempts to get it via MyWorld at BlackBerry App World failed to find it.

OS - maybe it was just the guy that I was talking to, but he said that he could not let me access another copy of the BlackBerry 7.0 as long as T-Mobile still did not offer it to their customers.
    09-05-11 02:58 PM

1. Battery life is appalling.
    I've actually had the opposite experience, battery life is quite good to me. Since using other platforms I have gotten used to just charging all of my phones at night so I have only ever actually killed the battery once and that was because I accidentally left the charger not all the way plugged into a wall the other day at night when we were on vacation and it was almost dead in the morning but this was a very poor coverage area in general and all of my phones die by late day when there unless I give them a charge. From my use elsewhere I can estimate that if I let it drop that far I would get about two days of battery life out of the phone, the same as the Bold 9650.

2. The touch screen is largely a gimmick, though I guess combined with the larger screen size at least the stupid OS6 tray system makes a BIT more sense. A touch screen needs a big screen, period.
    I tend to agree, and barely use it. Fortunately they didn't remove the trackpad so we can use either one if we want to. It is nice to have options.

3. Only one convenience key - oh I forgot - Blackberries aren't for busy people any more.
    Yeah this irks me too. Give me two convenience keys or at least one key that is dedicated to the camera and a convenience key. In priopr models I had on set for the camera and one for the calendar, now I have to choose

4. Browser still not good enough. The much better Bolt browser also doesn't work as well as it did in OS 6.
    I haven't tried Bolt yet on this phone but have to agree. This browser is a little faster than the OS6 devices but not by a lot and it irks me that shortcuts like pressing the spacebar for a period do not work in the browser since the field doubles as a search window. Please RIM, just ditch the search all together and create sarch apps for each provider like they have for Google. And Verizon -- Bing? Really? This is getting really old!
    09-05-11 06:47 PM
    @travelingMike -

For somone who uses it a lot (especially international callers) it sure could be.

Blackberry Protect is now built into the OS under the setup wizard. Yes the one in AppWorld no longer works.

Any carrier release or leak for the 9900 will work yes BUT you loose support from your carrier.
    09-05-11 06:53 PM
    Just gotta let you guys know. I dropped my phone onto hard floor with it in holster. ITS ALIVE. No scratches, or anythings. Amazing little beast you are. *loves*
    09-05-11 07:07 PM
    FINALLY got my Bold! After weeks of trying to decide whether or not to change carriers or wait for AT&T, I finally decided to flip AT&T the finger and head to Verizon. Sorry, can't wait for an unknown release date. Might have considered staying if they would've told customers SOMETHING, but oh well.

LOVE the keyboard. It's as great as everyone says. The only "flaw" I noticed after I got home was a small speck of something underneath the upper left part of my screen. Not anything I'd return the device for. Not really that big of a deal.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning!

Oh, went to Best Buy & Fry's electronics looking for a case and didn't have any luck. Then remembered that T-Mobile had this device. Found a case and at check out the sales rep asked how I liked my Bold. I said, "So far so good, I got it on Verizon." He then said, "Oh? I didn't know other carriers had this device too."

Sigh.

Anyway. Off to play on my Bold. It's the bee's knees!
    RobNyc likes this.
    09-05-11 09:15 PM
    I was going to switch to AT&T but when I saw how expensive it will be Talk plan, Messaging plan, Data plan, oh my .. I decided to stay with sprint and renew my contract & get the Bold 9930 and stay with my Unlimited Data Family Shared PLan 1500mins (Unlimited Data, Messaging, Free Mobile to Mobile) have 4 lines for $185 a month after taxes. I already tried the iPhone4 for 6 months and don't think I can live without a real keyboard

I was going to switch to Tmobile though because my friend has the 9900 i think it is and he has 4G
    09-05-11 11:28 PM
    Perfect. GREAT. Awesome. BEAUTIFUL.

I waited and now I am happy I didn't go to the droid.
    09-06-11 12:37 AM
    Didn't think i would lay my hands on one these devices for at least another year...just went into a phone shop to enquire about something concerning my 9780 and i ended up walking out with a sealed 9900 brand new.
    it's the best phone i have EVER had. so thin, light and blazing fast with the new OS7. absolutely the best blackberry there is.
    nothing about the device that i do not like. the keyboard is a sweet dream to type on...my fingers literally fly over the keys. glad that this wasn't my first bb device, because i have gotten very used to using their different keyboards. it's so easy and nice to type out messages. i've found myself preferring to type emails on the BB rather than the computer.
    the screen size is gorgeous and the high resolution really does the trick. RIM have finally done a good thing.
    This device truly is king...keep up the good work RIM folks.
    09-06-11 12:38 PM
    juss got it in the mail today wooo hooo
    09-06-11 01:15 PM
    yay got mine in the mail today from Tmobile
    love it!! It's so fast!
    I have been using an unlocked torch so I was stuck on EDGE so this 4g speed is amazing to me lol

Kretus and phonejunky like this.
    09-06-11 05:29 PM
    I got mine coming back from android splurge or sickness lolz Glad im back beast of a phone.
    Mylexon20s likes this.
    09-06-11 05:36 PM
    OK, so I am trying to be patient, waiting for my 9930 to arrive tomorrow...Will check in after receipt.

I can't wait
    09-06-11 07:20 PM
    finally. got mine today, in Romania. It's a brand new 9930 from Verizon . i really hope the long wait and the big pile of cash will be worth it . installing the 340 leak right now, a bit shrinked ofcourse, the real tests will start tomorrow ( it's 4:09 am here now). happy!!!
    09-06-11 09:09 PM
    Received mine from FedEx around 11am been playing around with it/setting it up and this phone is awesome. Seeing it in photos and YouTube videos really doesnt do it any justice, the 9900/9930 is a sleek and elegant device and the resolution is vivid. Hardware wise its unbelievably thin and light, when I first picked it up it felt like a dummy phone it was so light. Seriously anybody from blogs or has video reviews on YouTube and says anything negative is a hater, the 99xx is awesome!!!
    09-06-11 09:59 PM
    I just hope its enough to keep me from getting bored. Six months seems to be my maximum attention span on one device. So far I couldn't be happier I made the jump back to BB. Miss a few things about Android, but pros of the 9930 far outweigh the cons.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 10:13 PM
730 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD