10-15-11 07:07 PM
730 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Hey guys, I just joined the club today. I was over at my local mall shopping for my daughter's birthday gift. On a whim I asked my wife if it was ok to hit the Verizon shop. I just wanted to see if they had the new Bold on diplay at least. Well, right next to the Droids sat a shiny new 9930. I got to mess with it for a few and despite my reservations about the camera, I decided that I wouldn't mind giving this little bberry a shot when it is realeased in shop on the 25th. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I was informed that they had some in stock and would gladly sell me a new Bold if I wanted. I didn't have to ask twice. As I type this post, my new 9930 is charging on my dining table at the moment.

Needless to say I'll be running this Storm 2 replacement to death within my 15 day window. So far I am impressed. Need to take photos and shoot videos to see if it will be benificial in my day to day operations. So far the keyboard is sweet, but there are a few things that are different from the S2 that I'll need to get used to first.
    08-20-11 07:34 PM
    What state are you in? Did you go through regular cust serv, sales, or customer loyalty? I need to devise a way to get the 9900! This phone is my dream!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I went through my local business sales rep in Oregon.
    08-20-11 10:48 PM
    Guys, no one has answered the burning question in my mind. Battery. People have discussed discharge rates, etc., but I need hard facts. Can this thing last through a full working day - 8 hours - with moderate use, without needing to be charged? This is the decider for me; when I am in court I have absolutely no access to a power source. 2 weeks ago, my 9650 froze, and I switched to the Motorola Photon 4g - a Droid. Experience has been an eye-opener, but I will swap for the 9930 if the battery life is solid. Everyone, please chime in.
    08-20-11 10:50 PM
    I will speak about the tmobile bold...

It has been fanstastic. I charged it up last night and was out at a business event and did heavy emailing, BBM, texting and was in and out of apps. I started at 10 am and at almost 8 I still have 48 percent left. I am very happy.
    kpak73 and Barredbard like this.
    08-20-11 10:57 PM
    Its lasting longer than my Bold 9650 did.

Guys, no one has answered the burning question in my mind. Battery. People have discussed discharge rates, etc., but I need hard facts. Can this thing last through a full working day - 8 hours - with moderate use, without needing to be charged? This is the decider for me; when I am in court I have absolutely no access to a power source. 2 weeks ago, my 9650 froze, and I switched to the Motorola Photon 4g - a Droid. Experience has been an eye-opener, but I will swap for the 9930 if the battery life is solid. Everyone, please chime in.
    Barredbard likes this.
    08-20-11 11:16 PM
    My verizon store had a few today. I'm typing on mine now. Loving it

08-20-11 11:46 PM
    Beats my 9650 by a long shot.
    Barredbard likes this.
    08-21-11 12:27 AM
    Got mine on Tuesday and i'm blown away. This unit is awesome, battery life is great and looks like it gets better. Coming from a 9650 they are not to be compared that is how great this phone is.
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/IMG_00000115.jpg?w=786bd2cc
    Last edited by eelect; 08-21-11 at 12:53 AM.
    08-21-11 12:30 AM
    i just got my 9900 yesterday. i was using 9800 (torch 1) before. i must say that the difference is clear between both phones in terms of hardware and speed of OS. the 9900 is so light and the keyboard is smooth on the fingers. its big enough so that even when you type fast you wont mistakenly hit another button. i am so happy i got this phone even though it is over-priced (i bought it off-contract).
    08-21-11 12:35 AM
    where? the stores in Losangeles were clueless??

Hey guys, I just joined the club today. I was over at my local mall shopping for my daughter's birthday gift. On a whim I asked my wife if it was ok to hit the Verizon shop. I just wanted to see if they had the new Bold on diplay at least. Well, right next to the Droids sat a shiny new 9930. I got to mess with it for a few and despite my reservations about the camera, I decided that I wouldn't mind giving this little bberry a shot when it is realeased in shop on the 25th. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I was informed that they had some in stock and would gladly sell me a new Bold if I wanted. I didn't have to ask twice. As I type this post, my new 9930 is charging on my dining table at the moment.

Needless to say I'll be running this Storm 2 replacement to death within my 15 day window. So far I am impressed. Need to take photos and shoot videos to see if it will be benificial in my day to day operations. So far the keyboard is sweet, but there are a few things that are different from the S2 that I'll need to get used to first.
    08-21-11 01:08 AM
    I had ordered my 9930 over the phone from VZW on Tuesday, and got it on Thursday. Today, I haven't been near a charger, and have had the GPS off, the WiFi on only when I'm home. Twitter, Facebook and weather updates every 30 minutes to an hour, about three hours of internet, one hour of downloading apps and streaming audio, typing this post, haven't charged since 1100 hours and it's 2300 hours now and battery is at 30%, so I guess that's so what okay for me. Better than my Android, but not as good as the Curve or Tour.

I will say this is the best high end Blackberry yet. I love the potential use of the NFC hardware, the larger keyboard, the touch screen, the activities log under each contact, the web browsing, and overall weight and feel of this device. I see myself keeping this for a long while.

My organization had Curves, Tours and previous versions of the Bold and I'd personally had the Tour, which the screen started to leak, which is why I had upgraded. I didn't know the 9930 was coming out on Monday, and on the Saturday before I had almost decided to get another Android--I'm glad I'd waited. (After issues with the trackball on my first Blackberry: Tour, I had switched to Android: LG Ally, and hated that I had to recharge it every 8 hours and because the Yahoo mail app never really retrieve my mail, so I switched back to crack

I wasn't satisfied with the choices I had with VZW. It was either the iPhone (hated the idea), Casio G'One Commando (which had mixed reviews but meet some of my needs), or downgrade to the Curve 3G (from the Tour, which I only like the Curve for its keyboard and optical trackpad; compared to the Tour, the Tour had better battery life). So if this Bold had less battery life than the Tour but at least 15 hours I would be satisfied for smartphone. My ideal battery life is two to three days with the usage I'd mentioned, but no less than 20 hours. Because that is the most I've been away from a charger at any given time.

So far, I haven't been 90% or greater satisfied with any phones since I had upgraded my Palm IIIxe to the m515, which I used my Motorola phone and the IR interface to beam contacts and text message to my phone--that was great stuff--coming technology in early 2000 Europe. So basically, this is the most usefully and productive smartphone out there for me.

08-21-11 01:21 AM
    I have been using Blackberrys for quite some time; from the 8830 to the 9630 to the 9650. I had always disdained the iPhone and the Droids; I care about productivity with my phone, not apps that fart. That's not necessarily the case anymore.

Two weeks ago, I received notification to update my BBM and FB. I was low on battery, so instead of updating one, rebooting immediately, and updating the next, I updated both before rebooting. Or tried to. My phone froze; it has never come out of reboot. I tried everything, and I am a pretty savvy user, to wipe the phone and reinstall the OS. I tried with the DM, with BBSAK, and with the AppLoader. Nothing. Final straw for me. One of the features that I must have in a phone is a removable SIM card.

I am a frequent traveller, and every smart phone I have ever bought on the Sprint Network has been a 'World Phone.' It just so happened that Sprint had just released a Droid that was also a World Phone - the Photon 4g. I scooped that up. This isn't my first time straying; my experience with the Tour 9630 was so infuriating that I first refused to upgrade to the Bold 9650, which is really the same phone, plus WIFI, the trackpad, and more memory. I got the HTC Evo. Loved several things about it, but the battery was so abysmal that I felt no regrets returning it, and picking up the 9650 after all.

The Photon 4g has truly been an eye-opener. For the first time, I have found a phone more business-friendly than a Blackberry. With its 'corporate sync,' I have access to not just my work inbox, but to other folders in my mailbox, including subfolders. Additionally, anything I place on my work calendar is somehow ported to my calendar on the phone. I've always hated touch-screen typing, but found that Google has come up with two innovative ways of eliminating the convenience.

A voice-to-text feature is available for everything, including emailing, texting, or finding the nearest strip club. For example, rather than going in my contacts, finding my ex, Katrina, and texting her, I'd hit a button and say "text Katrina." When the dialogue screen magically opens, I can then dictate my text, and click send. So convenient.The SWYPE feature is pretty incredible, and allows a user to input text by drawing lines through the alphabets that make up the words; sounds incredible, but works amazingly. The Netfilix app worked like a charm, so did the AT&T Uverse DVR remote access, with which I can record programs on my DVR even while in another country. The browser cannot be compared with a Blackberry, and the battery was incredibly stellar at about 14 hours of moderate use, or more.

But for all this, I am still returning the phone today because of a glitch; sometimes when dialing a call, or receiving one, a user simply cannot hear the person on the other line. And this is after you have already hit 'talk' and have seen the phone 'connect' and start counting the number of minutes you have been talking. The only fix is to remove the battery, and then put it back in. Now, even though it takes the device only 2 minutes or less to reboot, this is a major inconvenience. First and foremost, a phone must be capable of receiving and making calls.

So now, I will be picking up the 9930; I believe today is D-Day for Sprint users. I have missed the familiarity of my Blackberry, but I ultimately care about the phone that excels in productivity; my constant attempt to commingle both personal and corporate aspects of my life. I hope that I will find this phone less of a disappointment than the others. I will report my findings.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-21-11 at 07:46 AM.
    sirluke7 likes this.
    08-21-11 06:25 AM
    anybody else notice the led flickers very very slightly when you make a call?
    08-21-11 09:49 AM
    That's the proximity sensor, not the LED.
    08-21-11 10:01 AM
    I went through my local business sales rep in Oregon.
    Ok, thanks.

08-21-11 11:19 AM
    I exchanged my droid pro for a blackberry bold 9930. The wider, curved keyboard makes it easier for me to text (i have parkinson's disease). I will admit, in the past I was not a fan of blackberry. I did not like that storm 1 I had. However, I am very impressed with this 9930. I am now a blackberry addict.
    08-21-11 11:42 AM
    just purchased my Sprint bold 9930 ..going to charge it up and report back!!....hope no issues!
    08-21-11 11:50 AM
    Hi everyone! I got my new Blackberry 9930 on Tuesday of this past week. I am a VZW customer for MANY years. I SO LOVE this phone!!! I had a Curve and it DIED back in late June. The battery was eating up the phone's power so I couldn't replace the battery. VZW wanted me to spend $50 to get a replacement but I refused. I borrowed a friend's old Storm 1 hoping this new Bold would be released before rhe summer was over. Luckily it worked out!

I love the keyboard - it is so very easy to type on it! The touchscreen is sweet and so nice-nothing at all like the Storm's touch keys "sure type". Touchscreen responds very well. The browser is fast and works great. Everything is SO fast!

Texting is so awesome with the keyboard. I am back to my speedy typing self now!

I have NO complaints as of yet and don't suspect I will have any!

Kudos to RIM! Awesome creation!
    08-21-11 12:07 PM
    I'm loving my 9930 as I've always loved my 9650. My 9650 just kept getting slower and slower over the past weeks and I wasn't sure why. I like the real keyboard and form factor of BB's in general and they always do what I need them to do which is be a communication device with a bit of entertainment on hand when needed.
    As such the new 9930 rocks. In functionality OS7 isn't that diff from 6 but now it responds to input when you actually press the button instead of receiving your keypress, then going and having a coffee, and then coming back and trying to remember what it was you asked it to do.
    also my battery life seems fine. I don't text all day or browse a lot but I charged mine overnight friday night and then used it all day yesterday and by 11:00 pm it was still at ~40%. This is about what I got from my 9630. Again I'm not a heavy user but I do use it. Make sure that if you are using the VZW phone that you turn off the Global setting in the Mobile network settings or your battery will drain in no time. This happened on my storm 2 and 9650 as well so it's not a 9930 issue.
    08-21-11 12:20 PM
    Finally have my Sprint 9930 to go along with my white iPhone 4 on AT&T. Feels worth it so far but only time will tell!
    08-21-11 01:49 PM
    Just got my Sprint 9930. Gotta get it set up. I love the feel of this phone
    08-21-11 01:51 PM
    Picked up the Sprint version, charging now. Thinner than my Bold 9650; so thin that I am afraid I might drop it. Dig the new holster which is different from the holsters that usually accompany Blackberrys. Seems a bit more high quality, with the letters "Blackberry" and the logo on the holster itself. Flap is not centered but is off to the side. Won't use the included headphones/mic; buds are too wide for my ears.

Snappy, generally. Everything I love, and everything I hate about the Blackberry has come home to roost. Keyboard is very easy to type on. Miss the red accent on the Bolds; the letters and numbers are all inscripted in white. Reboot time now appears to be about 2 minutes; a welcome change from 7 minute for my Bold 9650. As usual, no option to set up a corporate e-mail, unless BES. Have to set it up manually, and after a few tries, won through. Very complex, and does not sync with work calendar. Thoroughly annoying, for a supposed work phone.

Quality appears to be superb. No SD card. Sprint wallpaper is a bit too busy, and will definitely swap for a more sedate black. The touchscreen/keyboard combination works well. Unfortunately, the screen real estate is not really conducive for browsing; browing seems to be as awful as ever. Icons on the screen are far more crisp. Also checked out the Torch 9850. Ugly phone. Wish they had kept the Storm figure; I might have gone for that instead. Would definitely have preferred the leather back of the Bold 9000; that was such a classy look.

Luckily, I have always had the good sense to store all my contacts on Google. Now that my 9650 is frozen, I can't do a device swap. Not to worry, after I set up my Gmail account, all my contacts were automatically synced to the phone. Didn't even have to download the Google Sync app, as I used to in the past. Download speeds are still abominable.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-21-11 at 02:18 PM.
    sirluke7 and noke60 like this.
    08-21-11 02:07 PM
    Just picked my 9930 from sprint. I like the phone so far but can't say the same for sprint though. I am constantly losing service in my home. The one place where I would like to have service.

So far I love the keyboarf the most. Still getting used to the physical keyboard but so far.... Excellent.

08-21-11 02:52 PM
    Got mine this morning right when store opened. Best phone ever.
    08-21-11 03:55 PM
    I picked mine up a few days ago and I am still on the fence about keeping it. It a great device but still lacking some features my android had.

08-21-11 03:56 PM
730 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD