Downloading
    07-23-12 12:16 PM
    what is difference from .523 release?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-23-12 12:20 PM
    what is difference from .523 release?
    -

07-23-12 12:24 PM
    I wonder if the media player problems are fixed this time.
    downloading now
    07-23-12 12:28 PM
    -

sorry what does .046 mean?

BigwhiteUK and rroyy like this.
    07-23-12 12:31 PM
    thanks rroyy

Upgrading from .523 as we speak.

Wasn't overly pleased with .523 in terms of battery usage or signal reception (Rogers, Montreal-area)... Standby the battery drain rate stabilized to 0.9% about 1� weeks after installing .523, however, when multitasking (for instance: running browser, BB News and BBM) the battery drain rate would reach 15-18% per hour for just 20 minutes of such usage.. Signal reception would be quite finicky on .523 as well - full bars to 1 bar just sitting there, then right back up to 4 bars.

We'll see what this update does and how the phone behaves.

**EDIT

Wiped phone using BBSAK, shrunk OS v7.1.0.569 using BB Boss

Noticed the following:

- phone is very responsive once you go through the menus at least once. (I suppose phone populates cache)
    - seems to boot quicker
    - OTA downloads seem quicker
    - BB Appworld needs updating to most recent version
    - BBM is latest version (IM apps all need upgrading - don't know about FB since I don't use it)
    - H+ signal reception seems better than .523 (Rogers - Montreal area). Used to get 1 bar in the basement (H+), now shows 3 bars H+ (-101dB before with .523 ... -86 ~ -92dB now with .596)
    - 2G signal reception is worse than .523 (how is this possible? Only get maximum -86dB outside in clear view of tower)
    - GPS seems a little sluggish to start compared to ... well I can't remember which OS, I don't use GPS... just testing this OS.
    - device analyzer still hidden (ALT-BBDA will reveal it in device/advanced system settings - battery pull overrides this)
    --> when sending an e-mail with attachments, highlighting the e-mail being sent in messaging will show % upload of the attachment
    - IT Policy is DISABLED (device -> device & status information ... type "BUYR" scroll to bottom)

** EDIT 2: Some observations 2 weeks on after installing .569...

Well, although it seemed like a great update, I'm running into various "issues" with this build. Before getting into that, a little update on battery expectancy.

I consider myself a medium-heavy user. Perhaps 70-80 BBMs a day, 20-40 minutes of reading BB News feeds & opening articles in the browser, calling (average 1.5-2hrs daily since updating to .569) and medium texting. I don't play music on the phone, occasionally watch a youtube video from a link sent by BBM (once every couple of days), I don't bother with GPS, although sometimes I'll open Google Maps to check location of something or other.
    - no feature/app set to "auto-update", only push.
    - Browser javascript turned off as well as geolocation, browser push turned off as, cell broadcasting turned off.
    - carrier signal set to to 3G/H+ only
    - starting at 7:00am with phone completely charged (100% reading 4.187V at full charge), the phone will indicate 16% by 10:00-11:00pm (depending on how much I use the browser and number of BBMs).

Sounds good - right? Well, that was the first week. A few battery pulls here and there because the phone became unresponsive.

Last few days, however, I've begun experiencing rather strange behaviour with the phone:
    - signal fluctuating somewhat. At times the 3G/H+ signal will drop to -107dBm (1 bar) and stay there - even if I turn off the radio and turn it back on. There seem to be increased frequency of periods of transmission inactivity (being outdoors, perhaps 200m from the tower). If I switch to 2G & 3G/H+ the signal will reach full bars at -77dBm. I've managed to reproduce the same in different locations both in Montreal and Ottawa. Have not experienced this with other firmware radio stacks.

- At random times the phone will just freeze. Completely unresponsive. Battery pull fixes the issue, but absolute & utter PITA when on a phone call and trying to access calendar or memopad. Worst part is I can't even end the call by pushing the "end call" button - only solution is complete battery pull. These episodes are completely random, no rhyme or reason. I could be browsing a news article one minute and the next the phone looks/behaves like a static sample unit which requires a battery pull to rectify.

- battery depletion rate has increased in the past week. The first week was great. Straight from the get-go after installing this firmware, battery life seemed exceptional (compared to other firmware builds). However recently (in conjuction with?) the signal fluctuations and strange willy-nilly freeze behaviour, I've noticed that the battery life is shorter than it was earlier... much shorter. The battery indicator turns red after phone being on for about 12 hours whereas before I could stretch it to 13-14 hours. That's a significant difference.

- You all may have noticed that I "shrunk" the OS - I assure you the shrinking isn't deleting cods that are critical for proper phone usage. I shrink out parts/apps I never use like "facebook", social feeds, MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk, languages (aside from English and French), etc.

... I really have a love-hate relationship with this model at this point. The frustration is getting palpable.

This is the second device (9900) I own and second one which is behaving like it's got a mind of its own. First phone didn't hold a charge for more than 6-7 hours no matter what, this current one does, but with each firmware the phone behaves differently - and that behaviour only comes to light a week or more after installing new firmware. Either signal strength is very weak, battery life is unexpectedly low, phone freezes, spacebar or other keys seem to dbl tap at the slightest push (yes - firmware-dependent)...

Frustrating to say the least. Quite honestly, I'm starting to get fed up. If it weren't for BBM, crystal-clear call quality - I'd be switching to a different make in a hurry.

EDIT 3 - UPDATE ... replacement phone!

- Last week I received a replacement phone as I was suspecting issues with the phone I had, upon which the above comments were based. The replacement phone, oddly, acted in the same manner - good at first, but tel-tale sign that it was conspicuously defective was rather quick battery drain with bare minimum usage, particularly using browser or BBM... battery drain rate neared 15%/hr!

- Again, went back to provider and received another brand new phone 5 days ago, installed 7.1.0.569 and I can safely say this one's a keeper (both hardware and firmware). Even with heavy BBM use, the battery shows a drain rate of 3.4%/hr (using the same battery as on the previous phones). Using this firmware on the new phone, the battery will reach 10% remaining charge only after 18-20hrs. RF signal is also *much* more stable on this new phone (.569 firmware) albeit a little weak - seemed stronger with the larger (72MB) UMTS sfi radio stack (I tried the 7.1.0.318 firmware before upgrading to .569). The smaller-sized UMTS sfi radio stack (included in .569) shows weaker signal - although this new phone is much better in terms of reception.

At this point I can only conclude that the 9900 hardware seems to be a hit-and-miss proposition... That's just plain awful!!
    Last edited by upset; 08-13-12 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added notes
    07-23-12 12:31 PM
    This thread was posted 12 minutes ago, and people already ask about mic issue in ATT or battery life!

Very funny to even reply such questions!

If you need to know right now if the mic issue is solved, download the os, install and try it.

Willard814 likes this.
    07-23-12 12:37 PM
    Well I'm on AT&T in Philadelphia and so far the mic issue has not appeared. I have made several calls to my office and they could hear me. Likewise calls to my phone have worked as well.

Prior versions were 1 out of 2-3 calls working...

Hoping for the best with this one - John
    mmcpher and jdelvalle56 like this.
    07-23-12 12:41 PM
    Well I'm on AT&T in Philadelphia and so far the mic issue has not appeared. I have made several calls to my office and they could hear me. Likewise calls to my phone have worked as well.

Thanks for sharing the update John. I'm on a business trip but may install this tonight.
    07-23-12 12:46 PM

he was being a smart-a$$.

No one knows what the "official" changes are because RIM does not release changelogs with every iteration of software updates. It is up to users to figure it out (if they want to figure it out, that is).
    07-23-12 12:47 PM

Thanks John, that's good enough for me to be second off the barge.
    07-23-12 12:52 PM
    Does NFC work for tmo?
    07-23-12 12:54 PM
    This thread was posted 12 minutes ago, and people already ask about mic issue in ATT or battery life!

Very funny to even reply such questions!

If you need to know right now if the mic issue is solved, download the os, install and try it.

1. I was merely asking if someone could post their findings about the mic issue from AT&T. I realize that people need time to download, install, and test...

2. Why go through all of the hassle of downloading and installing if it DOESN'T work? I have better things to do with my time than mess around with a bum OS...
    jdelvalle56 likes this.
    07-23-12 12:57 PM
    2. Why go through all of the hassle of downloading and installing if it DOESN'T work? I have better things to do with my time than mess around with a bum OS...
    But it's OK to let someone else do it for you !!!

Great community spirit.
    DWPGQ, noez92, gtamhankar and 2 others like this.
    07-23-12 12:59 PM
    I haven't noticed any major differences from .523 yet. I had no issues what so ever with .523 ...........batery life was great and signal was strong! MTS Winnipeg. Hoping .569 is even better.
    07-23-12 01:11 PM
    Device Analyzer is still hidden.
    Willard814 likes this.
    07-23-12 01:12 PM
    Device Analyzer is still hidden.
    Yes it is. Had to do the Alt+bbda in the options screen to enable it.
    07-23-12 01:17 PM

The difference between .569 and .523
    07-23-12 01:23 PM
    Yes it is. Had to do the Alt+bbda in the options screen to enable it.
    You need to re set this after every battery pull/reboot.

You can also access via Advance OS and LED using Instant Launch with the setting saved on re boot.

Setting is net_rim_bb_device_analyze
    07-23-12 01:23 PM
    07-23-12 01:29 PM
    Loving this SMOOTH OS, bit more initial memory than .523 hope it stays like this. So far so good.
    07-23-12 01:34 PM
    no vendor.xml files?
    07-23-12 01:38 PM
    is the policy lock on by default on this OS? or has it come off without factory reset?
    07-23-12 01:38 PM
    I am going to ask a stupid question on this update, but I seem to be having a problem since the last two updates. The short of it is that the phone/software does not recognize the update. Not sure why. So you know I have done these updates many times. I do the update through the Loader after deleting the old OS and upload the new OS. I also delete the vendor file. But when the loader runs it does not recognize that I have a new OS available. I am currently running 7.1.0.428.

Any help will be appreciated.
    07-23-12 01:39 PM
    is the policy lock on by default on this OS? or has it come off without factory reset?
    Firewall and Parental Controls can be disabled
    zocster likes this.
    07-23-12 01:43 PM
518 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD