I finally updated my 9900 to .590 and I think the battery still drains very fast. I don't know why some people are saying battery is much better in .590. I don't have bluetooth and wifi turned on, just some Facebook and Twitter and a little BBM and after just 1hr of full charge my battery is now at 75%.

How are you guys getting the .585/.503 radio hybrid to gain a stable battery life? Can you guys provide a little tutorial or a link to a tutorial? Thanks a lot!
    Go to page 2 of the Official .585 thread in this forum. There is a post by Phill_UK which tells you how to create the hybrid OS. It really is very simple, give it a try.
    12-28-11 05:33 AM
    If it ain't 7.1 why bother?
    Beacuse not everyone is as in love with 7.1 as you are. For many it is not working well.
    12-28-11 05:34 AM
    In search of a better battery life from .540, i tried and installed .590 almost a week ago. I left it on 2g and locations off as with .540 and i got almost 24 hours before the phone needs to be charged again with 10-15% charge left.

The battery performance is a little less than .540, esp with the charge dropping from 100%-90% within the first 30-45mins.

However, i found another functionality: tethering. With .590, i could tether and connect to the internet through desktop software! I tried this several times with .540 to no avail!

I tethered several times (ensuring that my laptop was disconnected from my home wifi network) and at different times to make sure that it was not a fluke, and during all those times, around 4-5x, i was able to connect to the internet.

I don't know if this can be duplicated by other users using different OS's besides 7.1, but with .540, i could not do it.

Why bother if it is not 7.1? Aside from being more stable than 7.1, it gives me another functionality and an alternative to bridge which seems to be slower than tethering. 7.1 may not be necessary for me anymore.

Another thread discusses an official update from TMO. however, I am afraid that an official update from TMO will plug this functionality and force us to subscribe to a tethering plan. Other 7.1 users already experience this saying that they are redirected to another site asking them to subscribe to a tethering plan when they use the mobile hotspot.
    12-28-11 08:17 AM
    Crap version of the OS, stick to .296.
    12-28-11 11:30 AM
    Crap version of the OS, stick to .296.
    Comedy genius!
    12-28-11 11:49 AM
    how i make a hydrid and what is best roms to work on?
    12-28-11 02:34 PM
    Well yesterday at the end of the work day I upgraded to .590

So far, I notice that signal inside my house on my bed (where I frequent some forums before I fall asleep..) is FULL BLAST, and internet is BLAZING FAST, whereas it used to be hit or miss, but not normally full bars.

I noticed on my way to work today, that I had full-blast 4g signal.

I notice that actually being here at work, that I'm not dropping signal and getting that stupid *sos* message at the top of my phone, and while I'm conducting business in the bathroom I'm not dropping signal and text messages anymore (I'm not on even on the 3g repeater!).

I have had my phone going since 7:30am, and it is not going on 4pm, and I've only made a few calls, CONSTANT texting, a good bit of facebook, and some emails today, and I'm still sitting at 55% battery life on the stock battery. Overal the phone is super fast, doesn't drop signal or have dead-spots anymore, battery life seems GREAT for what I've been doing with it (constant wifi at the office; never turn the wifi off), constantly communicating (although not much voice communication today), etc. I'm 1,000% happy with my new Bold, and if I know Blackberry (which i KNOW blackberry..) every new OS and patch is only going to get better

EDIT: Keep in mind, it's barely been *24hours* since I installed my os.. everybody here talks of the os 'settling in' and stuff and doing multiple battery pulls, which I know nothing about (in regards to the os settling in...), so we'll see what else happens in the next few days. Already done a few pulls, gonna continue doing a few more. Startups seem normal, maybe a TICK shorter...
    Last edited by 85_305; 12-28-11 at 02:58 PM.
    12-28-11 02:48 PM
    Why bother if it is not 7.1? Aside from being more stable than 7.1, it gives me another functionality and an alternative to bridge which seems to be slower than tethering. 7.1 may not be necessary for me anymore.
    Its always the same story, the browser is slower and the bugs come out of the wood work. 440, 503, 585, etc,,etc,,etc,,...

Then the thread for the OS of the week fills with praises from lots of people with a "Fresh Install".
    joju58 and bradman16 like this.
    12-28-11 04:14 PM
    i am so envious of those who got better battery life. i upgraded to this from .353, and my battery life is still the same
    12-28-11 06:38 PM
    Phil... No.
    12-28-11 06:47 PM
    Using my phone most of today.. Took off the charger at 0800. Now its 1900 and my battery is at 35%. 4G most of the day. Frequent use of browser, google maps, gmail app. No bluetooth on.
    12-28-11 09:08 PM
    Well yesterday at the end of the work day I upgraded to .590

So far, I notice that signal inside my house on my bed (where I frequent some forums before I fall asleep..) is FULL BLAST, and internet is BLAZING FAST, whereas it used to be hit or miss, but not normally full bars.

I noticed on my way to work today, that I had full-blast 4g signal.

I notice that actually being here at work, that I'm not dropping signal and getting that stupid *sos* message at the top of my phone, and while I'm conducting business in the bathroom I'm not dropping signal and text messages anymore (I'm not on even on the 3g repeater!).

I have had my phone going since 7:30am, and it is not going on 4pm, and I've only made a few calls, CONSTANT texting, a good bit of facebook, and some emails today, and I'm still sitting at 55% battery life on the stock battery. Overal the phone is super fast, doesn't drop signal or have dead-spots anymore, battery life seems GREAT for what I've been doing with it (constant wifi at the office; never turn the wifi off), constantly communicating (although not much voice communication today), etc. I'm 1,000% happy with my new Bold, and if I know Blackberry (which i KNOW blackberry..) every new OS and patch is only going to get better

EDIT: Keep in mind, it's barely been *24hours* since I installed my os.. everybody here talks of the os 'settling in' and stuff and doing multiple battery pulls, which I know nothing about (in regards to the os settling in...), so we'll see what else happens in the next few days. Already done a few pulls, gonna continue doing a few more. Startups seem normal, maybe a TICK shorter...

Building off of this, I have another update. When I left work at 5pm, I still had 55% battery life

I went home, and again, had full 4g signal driving home and in my bedroom.

I had some shirts and pants to iron, so I had some youtube videos playing on the ironing board in the livingroom. Up until this update, youtube was hit or miss, and 95% of the time would skip around and keep rebuffering when not on wifi. Now, wioth the phone sitting on my ironing board, or me laying in bed, I have full 4g signal and youtube is blazing fast with no skips or lag or anything. I used to hate how my bberry wasn't good at youtube and internet, but chalked that up as one of the very few downsides of bberry, and I always used to be jealous of iphone and droid users for their internet rich phones. But alas, my jealousy is gone. My updated 9900 plays youtube and scours the internet just as fast as any fanboy phone when *not* on wifi. While on wifi, the pages tend to load faster than my brain can even process hehe.

All in all, super duper alley-ooper impressed with my 9900 since this recent OS update.

Oh ya, battery life. Like I said, I started up the phone at 730am and used the phone moderately at work today. After work, I used the out of it for internet, youtube, a few lengthy calls, and txtng. I finally had Radio Shutdown around 1030pm. Barely 24hrs into my OS update.. Supposedly it will get better when the OS 'settles'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 85_305; 12-28-11 at 09:55 PM.
    bradman16 likes this.
    12-28-11 09:52 PM
    Wow, i'm soooooooooo impresed by your childish humour. Do let us know when the download is complete, it will make my Christmas.
    Not sure which is more childish, the first post or the continued monitoring of this thread and your idiotic follow-ups? Who cares? it's a free world, if someone wishes to post something, that's their prerogative - no? I get a kick out of the people who think they are put on this planet to govern what others decide to post into a freaking message board, get a hobby or something. And no, this is not written with the same intent as your post, it's a general statement for all the wannabe mods out there. Think about that for a minute...I wonder....hmmm....I bet you are a security guard - am I right?
    12-28-11 10:38 PM
    Hi to All,

as iam just fresh in this community i like to say hi to all and thx for posting so many hints in that forum which helps a lot in the past.

Since i switched a few days back from 9780 to 9900 i cryed for better battery life and after reading some posts here i decided to go for an update.

After i had deleted the vendor file I was able to download the new firmware (590) to my mobile but unfortunatly it crashed the first time after the reboot (stock for 5 mins in boot process)
    After removing battery twice and reinstalled the firmware again (desktop software recognized blackberry even that phone did not shown anything) if finally came up with new firmware but then some default apps where gone (like the app store??)

I reinstalled them with the appmgr but on the first start they also crashed..second time it wokred

Strange....is that a normal behavior ?

Nevertheless..now everything is fine except the fact, that i do not really see a battery emproovement..but also it did not went worst...
    Cheers
    Dorschdl
    Last edited by Dorschdl; 12-29-11 at 04:00 AM.
    12-29-11 03:53 AM
    Not sure which is more childish, the first post or the continued monitoring of this thread and your idiotic follow-ups? Who cares? it's a free world, if someone wishes to post something, that's their prerogative - no? I get a kick out of the people who think they are put on this planet to govern what others decide to post into a freaking message board, get a hobby or something. And no, this is not written with the same intent as your post, it's a general statement for all the wannabe mods out there. Think about that for a minute...I wonder....hmmm....I bet you are a security guard - am I right?
    Wrong on so many fronts, the clue is in the name, Legal = Lawyer.

People are quite entitled to post what they see fit to do. My point is that before doing so particularly in a new OS thread is think before you post.

When a new OS becomes available we all want to know what it does battery life wise and how it functions.

Is it too much to expect that people post their findings on these points which are informative and can help others to decide whether or not to give the OS a try rather than tell us that they are "downloading it now". How does knowing that help anyone who wants to know how the OS is performing ?

That is all I was trying to get across, not censor the thread, that is not my wish or intention, just to keep it relevant. I am not alone in this wish, several likes were given for the original post.

Can we now close this subject and keep to the point of the thread.
    joju58 likes this.
    12-29-11 03:53 AM
    Why do people continue to look for software updates to fix a hardware related charding issue that causes short battery life? 10 lousy dollars for a different charger can eliminate countless hours of mucking around with software updates each time a new OS is put out.

Legal, is that the kind of useful information you were talking about? Seriously, more often than not you can give people all the help they could need but they don't accept that help because they are too busy following the Shepard of the week.

All the OS's can produce twice the battery life with a proper charger instead of that junk USB charger RIM throws in with the phone.

585 was the only acception because the reception was extremely poor.

There you go folks, the best piece of advice in this thread. You wanna know what charger to get for US or UK? Use the search.

Flame on.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-29-11 at 04:20 AM.
    12-29-11 04:18 AM
    There you go folks, the best piece of advice in this thread. You wanna know what charger to get for US or UK? Use the search.

Flame on.
    Why don't you just say which charger if you already know?

I use my Playbook charger. Still suffer from the drop to 92% within an hour, but my overall battery life on .590 is really good. I think it's just a software bug on indicated % rather than an actual drop (I use Quicklaunch to see the % so I mean a RIM bug rather than QL or Meterberry)
    Dorschdl likes this.
    12-29-11 05:47 AM
    @olblueyez

I do not use the "standard" USB Travel Charger except iam on travel
    I normally use the "docking" Station for the Bold 9900 (original Blackberry) which has a complete different powersupply and btw, if you read my user informations, iam located in Germany and not US or UK ;-)

So to second what Pilchard says: Which charger do you suggest and why exactly (technical background)

BR
    Dorschdl
    12-29-11 05:58 AM
    All the OS's can produce twice the battery life with a proper charger instead of that junk USB charger RIM throws in with the phone.
    After quite a lot of experimentation, I can't confirm this claim. I have the charger you recommend and haven't found any consistent advantage from using it, let alone a doubling of battery life.

Obviously this is a case of dueling anecdotes.
    12-29-11 08:46 AM

I use my Playbook charger. Still suffer from the drop to 92% within an hour, but my overall battery life on .590 is really good. I think it's just a software bug on indicated % rather than an actual drop (I use Quicklaunch to see the % so I mean a RIM bug rather than QL or Meterberry)
    US - Nokia AC-6U
    UK - Nokia AC-6X

I recommend this model because I have 3 of them and use them for a 9900 and a 9810. Battery issues have been eliminated on both phones using the Nokia. The nokia charges a bit slower than the RIM freebie and I assume that combined with a better design and build quality produce the desired effect. I had a chance to rip one apart because my cat chewed the cord and it is very well made with top quality through hole components on one side of the board and surface mount on the other side. The soldering was immaculate and the board had been cleaned in a degreaser to remove any traces of flux and dirt. The transformer was a nice looking unit as well.

I strongly recommend not taking one apart if you also have a wire hungry cat because the strain releif is part of the original cord and replacing the power cord would mean ditching the strain releif. Just replace the cord where the break occurs with some shrink tubing.

Or just buy another since they are cheap.
    Pilchard likes this.
    12-29-11 09:03 AM
    After quite a lot of experimentation, I can't confirm this claim. I have the charger you recommend and haven't found any consistent advantage from using it, let alone a doubling of battery life.

Obviously this is a case of dueling anecdotes.
    Mine get plugged in at bed time and sits over night.
    12-29-11 09:06 AM

This is the kind of situation where I recommend the Nokia.

I would also recommend people try other chargers if you should have one around the house.

Last edited by olblueyez; 12-29-11 at 09:12 AM.
    12-29-11 09:08 AM
    Mine get plugged in at bed time and sits over night.
    Same here.
    12-29-11 10:32 AM
    i have no problem since day one having my at&t 9900 using my old 9700's charger.
    12-29-11 11:08 AM
    Great to all Crackberry member
    My boss having trouble with his dakota after instaling this version....the handset keep restarting and the mic didn't work ,so he have to plug his handsfree if he want to make a phone call.....anybody has the same issued..?
    12-30-11 05:50 AM
323 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD