Ok so after installing this new official 7.1 OS version on my bold 9900 my battery life has substantially deteriorated. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, it seems that the phone is working harder and is a little slower? I have everything turned off besides the mobile network. Should I downgrade to the one I had before?
    Last edited by M--Canuck; 03-07-12 at 09:51 AM.
    03-07-12 09:40 AM
    It has been noted somewhere around here that its going to take a few battery pulls, spaced about 4-6 hours apart. I think you need to do this atleast 4-6 times to get the new OS to settle down in your phone. Try it for a week then you can go back to the old version if its not working correctly for you.
    03-07-12 09:55 AM
    Thanks MrLynd54, I will try out the battery pull and the one week wait.
    03-07-12 10:35 AM
    I noticed the battery drain as well, I lose about 8-10% on very minimal usage, maybe that's why SK Telecom pulled it off their website?

I seriously hope that a few battery drains will solve this issue...
    03-07-12 11:47 AM
    I noticed the battery drain as well, I lose about 8-10% on very minimal usage, maybe that's why SK Telecom pulled it off their website?

I seriously hope that a few battery drains will solve this issue...
    Lets remember that this "official" OS is exactly the same bundle as the leaked version that many have been getting excellent battery life with.

My advice is persevere with it.

My experience after installing the leak was that the battery drained more quickly than I was used to with .205 but it settled down after a few days and the usual battery pulls.

I've had it from day one of the leak and it is good as gold stability wise and has same battery life for me as .205. Just took longer to get there.
    Humga Chan likes this.
    03-07-12 12:18 PM
    Ok so after installing this new official 7.1 OS version on my bold 9900 my battery life has substantially deteriorated. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, it seems that the phone is working harder and is a little slower? I have everything turned off besides the mobile network. Should I downgrade to the one I had before?
    Well i did installed it and it is faster than that leaked one, but the screen sensor is kinda so active than before and my phone is off the charger from 5:30 AM this morning and now its 9:37 PM and i got 66% left with battery saver mode turned on

And I don't have any issue with it just doesn't shows up + before international call receiving...

Everything else is working so fine.
    03-07-12 12:28 PM
    BAttery is just fine. I however did not upgrade, I did a complete wipe of my phone first, then when I installed the new OS, I did a custom restore of the backup with only the contacts and memos and browser bookmarks and BBM contacts.

I readded all my emails and re-set all my options, maybe that made a diff.
    03-07-12 12:36 PM
    I will wait for it to settle but just to give you an idea of how bad it currently is, I fully charged it at around 9,30 am and now it is at 60% at 1:51 pm with fairly low usage in this duration. Is this normal until it settles?
    03-07-12 12:53 PM
    I will wait for it to settle but just to give you an idea of how bad it currently is, I fully charged it at around 9,30 am and now it is at 60% at 1:51 pm with fairly low usage in this duration. Is this normal until it settles?
    This sounds like it is not normal even for a newly installed OS.

Mine took time to settle but I had nowhere near as high a discharge rate that you are getting.

Maybe a re install is the answer as the OS is not that bad on battery even when new.

Have you had a look at the device manager to see what is causing such a high drain ?

Maybe you need to re set some app settings after they were restored.
    03-07-12 01:05 PM
    What is the Device manager? Do you mean the Blackberry Device Analyzer? But that doesn’t really show you what’s running in the background.
    03-07-12 02:38 PM
    The first issue I have come across is: if I'm on a call with John Doe and Jane Doe calls in. I hit "ignore" to send Jane to VM but Jane's phone #/caller ID is still on the screen even though I am still on the phone with John Doe. Has this happened to anyone else?
    03-07-12 02:43 PM
    The first issue I have come across is: if I'm on a call with John Doe and Jane Doe calls in. I hit "ignore" to send Jane to VM but Jane's phone #/caller ID is still on the screen even though I am still on the phone with John Doe. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Your profile says you have a 9700
    03-07-12 02:54 PM
    I got the best battery life out of this version of OS 7.1. I have the leaked one install and the first day I got about 8%/hr discharge rate. But after two days and one battery pulls and few soft reboots, I now get 2%/hr discharge rate with the same amount of work. I am very happy about it.

I would just wait and try rebooting the phone several times per day for two or three days and see if that improves the battery life.
    03-07-12 02:58 PM
    Wow, I am glad it worked well for you. My current battery discharge rate is 13% per hour which is messed up. I have no idea what’s causing this I am not sure if I should still wait for it to settle or not since the rate is definitely abnormal. Wait a minute I just realized too that it has been two days since I got this OS on.
    03-07-12 03:22 PM
    battery life all depends on the cell reception in the area.

when i goto the gym and have my phone in the locker with no reception for 2hrs the battery just gets eaten up.

when the phone is in areas with very good reception, the battery lasts forever.....
    03-07-12 04:20 PM
    I did a memory wipe and still am facing this problem. I am beginning to believe that's why SK telecom pulled it off of the website.
    03-07-12 08:54 PM
    I had about 4.5% discharge with leaked .267, had to return back to .205 and now it's 1.6% per hour, or two full days on one buttery.
    03-07-12 09:16 PM
    ive had the opposite effect. my battery which lasted like 8 hours before now lasts >20 hours :O!
    03-07-12 10:39 PM
    Never thought i would be posting one of these messages...

After upgrading my 9930 to .267, battery life has not suffered. The 8% bug (immediately after charging, it reports 92% instead of gradually moving to 99, 98, etc.) is gone.

After charging it during the evening, i left my phone on overnight, not running bedside mode, running the battery analyzer in the background. I have not enabled the power saving function (dunno where that would be, to be honest.)

The graph shows a .84% average per hour - very respectable.

I did do one battery pull after i installed the .267 version. Other than that, no slowdowns, hourglasses, etc.

Just make sure that you're in a spot where there's a signal. Any phone will eat up the battery trying to search for a connection -- i read an article the other day that said it's not so much the signal strength itself that eats power, it's when you're in an area where there are more than 1 signals, and each of the signals is of similar strength. That's when the phone starts jumping between towers, and use up the most power.

Note: because of battery drain issues on earlier versions, i have disabled all the background fetching of scores, news, facebook, twitter, etc. For the record, i'm keeping track of 4 email inboxes, and am on the phone regularly for longer periods of time. 'Proper' business use, i would say. "Your mileage may vary", as they say.

Biggest culprits -- make sure you close apps that may be still running in the background. Check all the apps for 'background retrieval' of information, status, tweets, twits, facebook posts, podcast synching, even weather apps. Check your browser -- are you visiting a page containing 'revolving' ads? If the browser is sitting in the background, these ads might still be refreshed by the browser, resulting in an unexpected drain.
    03-08-12 07:59 AM
    On the third cycle/discharge, I decided to turn off "battery saving mode".

With battery saving mode on, 3G, minimal usage I had about 8-10% discharge rate

With that off, 3G, and heavier usage its currently at 7.4% discharge rate

A bit better but still horrible, hopefully it'll eventually settle in
    03-08-12 03:02 PM

With that off, 3G, and heavier usage its currently at 7.4% discharge rate

A bit better but still horrible, hopefully it'll eventually settle in

I doubt it. 3G will always be heavy on the drain rate. Turn off the 3G to 2G EDGE and see how your drain rate drops.
    03-08-12 03:58 PM
    I've had pretty good luck with it as well. But definitely running on 2G has helped with battery life.
    03-08-12 05:08 PM
    I had about 4.5% discharge with leaked .267, had to return back to .205 and now it's 1.6% per hour, or two full days on one buttery.
    Is the discharge rate of 1.6% per hour with usage (what kind of usage) or on standby?
    03-08-12 09:58 PM
    On the 2nd day with 7.1, I would like to share my findings:
    + some rendering bugs fixed in the browser
    + much better battery life than before. I have recharge only once a day.

Update: The battery went from 30% to almost nothing within minutes. Therefore no improvement!
    - the device triggers a daily reboot.

Update: The device reboots several times during the day :-(.
    Last edited by joehack; 03-09-12 at 06:45 AM.
    03-09-12 03:39 AM
    I think you need to do this atleast 4-6 times to get the new OS to settle down in your phone. Try it for a week then you can go back to the old version if its not working correctly for you.
    03-09-12 05:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD