I have been using my 8530 charger for awhile because I had a feeling the Oem charger was not topping off the battery very well.

For instance, off the charger at 5:30 am and with light usage the battery gauge wouldn't move till around 10:00 am. With the 8530 charger.

With the Oem charger I take it off at 5:30am and by 8:00am with no usage the gauge has gone down.

I tried the Oem charger last night for the heck of it and I got the same result.

Pull out those out old chargers folks and try it out.

Via Blackberry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk®
    bowledbybold likes this.
    11-14-11 10:15 AM
    How about the 9700 charger?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 10:22 AM
    Be careful when you use different charger than the one provided in the box. Sometimes it may take some time to fully charge the battery, but this will help out on the long term use of the battery. I think the OEM charge takes a bit of time because it is design to charge the battery with minimum usage damage to the cells.

For example, some people have used their Playbook charger and over period of time, this will have a negative effect on battery. (Like not holding the charge for a long time)
    11-14-11 10:27 AM
    Be careful when you use different charger than the one provided in the box. Sometimes it may take some time to fully charge the battery, but this will help out on the long term use of the battery. I think the OEM charge takes a bit of time because it is design to charge the battery with minimum usage damage to the cells.

For example, some people have used their Playbook charger and over period of time, this will have a negative effect on battery. (Like not holding the charge for a long time)

Yes, the 8530 charger has a lower rate compared to the oem charger. Hence why my battery performs better with 8530 charger.

11-14-11 12:02 PM
    I bet that the issue that is causing the bold to brick itself is releated to the charger, the battery, or the software that has the bug releated to charging the battery.

Almost all the bricked blackberries 9900 were done in the night, while people was charging the phones.
    11-14-11 12:15 PM
    I bet that the issue that is causing the bold to brick itself is releated to the charger, the battery, or the software that has the bug releated to charging the battery.

Almost all the bricked blackberries 9900 were done in the night, while people was charging the phones.
    Best to buy a battery charger and charge the battery outside of the phone on its own I suppose. If you have a spare battery that should not be an issue until they figure out why these phones are bricking..
    11-14-11 12:33 PM
    in my experience, turning off the radio will allow a 20-25% faster charge.
    11-14-11 01:00 PM
    I will stick to the larger RIM charger with the folding blades as the little cube chargers are cr^p
    11-14-11 01:28 PM
    I will stick to the larger RIM charger with the folding blades as the little cube chargers are cr^p

Yup, that's the charger I'm talking about. The folding charger is nice.

The cube seems too aggressive or not putting out clean DC.

11-14-11 02:04 PM
    Went back to the 8530 charger and my battery is kicking azz again.

11-15-11 01:48 PM
    I use the charger from my Storm(800ma) and it works good, there is a 800ma charger at Walmart that has a BB cable.
    11-15-11 02:17 PM
    I use the charger from my Storm(800ma) and it works good, there is a 800ma charger at Walmart that has a BB cable.

Find a charger rated at 700mah.
    You will be pleasantly surprised.

800mah is too much to have a good charge. The slower the charge the longer it will last, to a point.

11-15-11 04:08 PM
    Find a charger rated at 700mah.
    You will be pleasantly surprised.

800mah is too much to have a good charge. The slower the charge the longer it will last, to a point.

Via Blackberry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk�
    I had a 700ma and it did not charge well. Neither did the 750ma "plug" from BB. My 800ma
    does the job.
    11-15-11 08:08 PM
    I had a 700ma and it did not charge well. Neither did the 750ma "plug" from BB. My 800ma

does the job.

What do you mean by does the job?

What was the problem?

Were you using a BB 700mah charger?

11-15-11 08:18 PM
    FACT OR FICTION?

FICTION

see : KB26965-BlackBerry smartphone compatibility with BlackBerry PlayBook charger

The charger that ships with the BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet is the BlackBerry Premium Charger and is fully compatible with a number of current BlackBerry� smartphones. Unlike the traditional BlackBerry smartphone wall charger which converts AC to 700 mAh, the BlackBerry Premium Charger outputs at 1800 mAh which charges the BlackBerry smartphone twice as fast.

The battery does heat up slightly but is within acceptable levels.

BlackBerry Premium Charger compatibility

BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet

BlackBerry� Bold� 9930/9900
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9860/9850
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9810
    BlackBerry� Torch� 9800
    BlackBerry� Bold� 9780
    BlackBerry� Bold� 9700
    BlackBerry� Bold� 9650
    BlackBerry� Curve� 3G 9300
    BlackBerry� Curve� 8900
    BlackBerry� Curve� 8500 series
    BlackBerry� Tour� 9630
    BlackBerry� Style� 9670
    BlackBerry� Storm2� 9550
    BlackBerry� Storm� 9530
    BlackBerry� Pearl� 3G 9100 series
    BlackBerry� Pearl� Flip 8200 series
    mssca and JockBerry like this.
    11-15-11 09:04 PM

I don't know if its an ok charger, but I'm just saying that lower the mah the longer the battery will last.

11-15-11 09:28 PM
    Yup, that's the charger I'm talking about. The folding charger is nice.

The cube seems too aggressive or not putting out clean DC.

Really? Do you really think RIM sold us all defective chargers, putting out "dirty", improperly regulated DC? What method did you use to actually backup your statement above? Have you put it on a scope to verify this dirty DC you speak of?

It seems to charge all of my batteries perfectly - including the spare charge pod.

I get a 100% charge and have no issues at all with it...do you know anyone who has issues from dirty DC on this charger?
    11-15-11 09:28 PM
    Really? Do you really think RIM sold us all defective chargers, putting out "dirty", improperly regulated DC? What method did you use to actually backup your statement above? Have you put it on a scope to verify this dirty DC you speak of?

It seems to charge all of my batteries perfectly - including the spare charge pod.

I get a 100% charge and have no issues at all with it...do you know anyone who has issues from dirty DC on this charger?

Its just a guess relax. I too get a 100% charge with the little cube just doesn't last as long. I have had this same result with many battery operated device when experimenting with different charge rates.

If you have two identical devices and one is charged with 1800mah and the other is charged with 700mah, the fist device will charge up must faster, but it will also discharge fast than the second device.

That's all I'm saying.

I was saying that maybe the cube was putting out too aggressive or dirty dc because of all these bolds bricking over night while charging.
    I guess I should be more careful about how I phrase things, so I don't get attacked like this.

Seems to be a lot of that going on in this forum these days.

I was just tossing some ideas in the air so I could spark some thought and discussion.

My apologies.

11-15-11 10:00 PM
    Those Bolds that are bricking are also using various chargers. My G/F's bricked a few weeks ago using the 9780 charger; the 700 ma blade one you mentioned in fact.

FWIW...rapid charge doesn't mean rapid discharge, what it means, is in time, it will have less of an ability to actually hold a charge. You will not see any difference between a 700/750 ma charger on discharge..none whatsoever. These Li-on batteries only have a 500 cycle charge life...
    11-15-11 11:23 PM

If you have two identical devices and one is charged with 1800mah and the other is charged with 700mah, the fist device will charge up must faster, but it will also discharge fast than the second device.
    If two batteries have identical ratings and the battery usage is identical, they will discharge at the same rate. It doesn't matter how fast the battery was charged. Do you know how electronics work?
    11-15-11 11:38 PM
    If two batteries have identical ratings and the battery usage is identical, they will discharge at the same rate. It doesn't matter how fast the battery was charged. Do you know how electronics work?

Yup sure do.

It does affect how fast they discharge.

11-16-11 12:21 AM
    Yup sure do.

It does affect how fast they discharge.

You obviously don't know how electronics work. Just like FBA stated as well, "FWIW...rapid charge doesn't mean rapid discharge." Two devices performing the same tasks will discharge equally (if the batteries both hold the same charge capacity that is). Rapid charge does not mean rapid discharge. Learn basic electronics.
    11-16-11 06:37 AM
    RIM can post that on their site because MOST people use their phone for 3 years or less. But there are people you use the phone for more than that. The Li-ion batteries charge at rapid rate, decay faster according to testing done on them all across the world in many many universities. This is A SCIENCE FACT, not a marketing FACT. Simple as that. RIM can't run away from science because they build their company on science.

SCIENCE FACT: THERE IS A LONG TERM EFFECT ON RAPID CHARGING ON ALL LI-ION batteries.
    MARKETING FACT: You can use whatever the charger you like for your convenience. (but make sure to buy a new battery around 3rd year in to your battery usage.)

If this is true, then WHY I read somewhere here that some of the new OS updates will block 9900 users from charging their phone use Playbook charger?

I sell all my BBs at the end of a third year period. But I would like the new owner to use the battery I used for at least a year more or I feel like cheating.

The following quote from the marketing side is funny:

How will fast charging affect the life of my battery?
    Fast charging does not create more wear and tear on a battery than conventional charging. Electronically controlled charge algorithms ensure a safe and effective battery recharge. The total ampere hour life of the battery remains unchanged. Fast charging simply increases the energy return rate.

http://www.akerwade.com/v.php?pg=71#affect_life
    Last edited by mss-ca; 11-16-11 at 07:45 AM.
    11-16-11 07:38 AM
    RIM can post that on their site because MOST people use their phone for 3 years or less. But there are people you use the phone for more than that. The Li-ion batteries charge at rapid rate, decay faster according to testing done on them all across the world in many many universities. This is A SCIENCE FACT, not a marketing FACT. Simple as that. RIM can't run away from science because they build their company on science.

SCIENCE FACT: THERE IS A LONG TERM EFFECT ON RAPID CHARGING ON ALL LI-ION batteries.
    MARKETING FACT: You can use whatever the charger you like for your convenience. (but make sure to buy a new battery around 3rd year in to your battery usage.)

If this is true, then WHY I read somewhere here that some of the new OS updates will block 9900 users from charging their phone use Playbook charger?

I sell all my BBs at the end of a third year period. But I would like the new owner to use the battery I used for at least a year more or I feel like cheating.

The following quote from the marketing side is funny:

How will fast charging affect the life of my battery?
    Fast charging does not create more wear and tear on a battery than conventional charging. Electronically controlled charge algorithms ensure a safe and effective battery recharge. The total ampere hour life of the battery remains unchanged. Fast charging simply increases the energy return rate.

http://www.akerwade.com/v.php?pg=71#affect_life

I am not saying that rapid charging will increase wear and tear on a battery.

I'm saying that with any battery that if you charge two batteries at different rates, one faster than the other the battery that charged quicker will not last as long. Meaning the slower charged battery will go longer on its charge.

Thanks mss-ca

11-16-11 09:28 AM
    I know for a fact that what I'm saying is true about ni-cad and li-poly batteries, are you guys saying that li-ion batteries do not behave this way as well?

I thought it was common knowledge among technical type people that charging rate affects how long a battery will last per cycle.

11-16-11 09:37 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD