Okay, so I took the phone to the carrier today (read my post on the touch screen not working...) and of course I took it in its original box without the Otterbox Commuter case I bought for the phone (in which I was doing all the testing last night). Guess what... the damn thing works perfectly WITHOUT THE CASE, but as soon as you slip on the silicone inner layer, the screen stops working...

I have taken some time to mess with it and I just discovered that the screen stops working when the silicone layer is in contact with the bottom part of the phone, where there appears to be some sort of band (I believe it is for a dock or something?).

How's that? Has anybody else had any problems with the touchscreen not working due to an Otterbox Commuter Case???

I must say, the strangest things happen to me. Oh, and the Loader.exe doesn't show any apps or OS updates when I plug the phone in, it just says "Wireless Music Sync", like, that's the only thing it will allow me to add or remove to the 9900. Are there any fixes for that?
    02-02-12 11:19 AM
    I have an att bold 9900 and an Otterbox case ,2 piece with rubber inside and hard plastic outer case. No problems as you descibe. Are you sure all the rubber buttons on the inner rubber cover are lined up and going thru outer case ok, without hanging up (rubbing or binding) ? You could have a side key being pressed if the inner rubber shell is not lined up right and is pressing on a side key.
    02-02-12 04:27 PM
    Yeah, everything is aligned and all. Like I said, it's very weird as the screen goes unresponsive as soon as the bottom part of the phone (charger dock contacts) touch the silicone layer. Funny thing though, as soon as you plug it in the computer, the screen works perfectly, unplug the phone and again, you get an unresponsive screen.

So I'm guessing we're talking about some sort of internal electric related issue, I mean, to put it in simple ignorant words... sounds to me like when I plug the thing, the screen gets a "boost" of electricity and it works, and when you unplug it, it stops working. Is as the bottom "dock" part has some sort of "grounding" issue or something.

I'm pretty sure people buy tons of Otterbox Commuter cases for the 9900 and don't experience this same problem, otherwise someone would've already chimed in. So, I'll be back to the carrier tomorrow and get it exchanged. Too bad I installed a 20 dollar privacy screen on the phone, I will have to order another one online.
    02-02-12 05:31 PM
    Perhaps it is the privacy screen interacting with the case.
    02-02-12 05:37 PM
    Sorry to hear what happened with your phone but just want to know which privacy screen did you bought and it is any good?
    02-02-12 05:39 PM
    I bought a Body Guardz (or something "Guardz") privacy screen, it's pretty high quality and it was about 20 bucks. But - this happened to me before installing the screen as well, so I'm kinda ruling out the screen.

Like I said, it's kinda like a "grounding" issue because depending on how I hold the case, like cradling the case in my left hand, the screen "works". It's definitely weird. I'm going to spend a few more hours trying to figure out what the problem is and then if everything is still bad, I will go ahead and return it and get a new one tomorrow. This sucks.

Oh, and keep in mind that the phone works great when it's plugged in the computer, with the screen and the case on...
    Last edited by LEOVAN83; 02-02-12 at 05:56 PM.
    02-02-12 05:54 PM
    You may have a loose charging dock plate. The bottom is where the contacts for a charging dock come in contact. What happens when you push on the band? If you want a replacement, demo the effect to your local carriers store with the OB on. It should not do that!
    02-02-12 07:40 PM
    02-02-12 07:54 PM
    That is it. Just tried putting my 9900 down and if I only touch it with my finger the touch screen is unresponsive. It is in a Blackberry soft shell case.

Leovan, is it possible the Otterbox case is the problem. I assume the material used for the case of touch screens must have some conductivity to them in order for the touch screen to work. You may want to bring the case back and try another.
    02-02-12 08:37 PM
    That is it. Just tried putting my 9900 down and if I only touch it with my finger the touch screen is unresponsive. It is in a Blackberry soft shell case.

Leovan, is it possible the Otterbox case is the problem. I assume the material used for the case of touch screens must have some conductivity to them in order for the touch screen to work. You may want to bring the case back and try another.
    Well I've seen a bunch of videos on Youtube of guys using the OB Commuter case WITH a screen protector and in all the vids the touch response is flawless, so I'm pretty sure it must be the phone, like I said, when the phone is connected to the pc, everything works fine, but when I unplug it, the screen goes dead.
    02-02-12 08:56 PM
    Plugging it in is providing the ground.
    02-02-12 09:00 PM
    Plugging it in is providing the ground.
    So are we saying then, that this is common to ALL 9900's? I wouldn't want to return the thing unless I have to...
    02-02-12 10:11 PM
    I have no idea if this could be related in anyway but when using my 9650 with particular cases, my whole phone would become unresponsive. I realized that the case was particularly tight in one corner. The case I had was "plastic-y" and so I took a lighter and heated the plastic so it was pliable. I then stretched the corner of the case so that it was not as tight around the phone and it worked fine! I don't know if that would be possible with your case, or even if you would want to stretch the case a bit (I know that I started to become annoyed with the look and just bought a new case that worked fine.)

I just thought I'd share an experience I had with similar case problems. Again, don't know if it's the same situation with your phone but maybe!
    02-02-12 10:26 PM
    I have the 9930, Otterbox Commuter with the included screen protector. Touchscreen works fine.
    02-02-12 11:03 PM
    I have Otterbox Commuter case on my 9900. No problems noted here after two months of use.
    02-02-12 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD