Actually RIM has stated it will continue supporting BBOS...and have people working on it...but my question was whether that means only bug fixes or if they will release more major updates
    What counts as a major update? I don't think RIM has any plans to build any new hardware to run OS 7. OS 7 itself was mainly an update to OS 6 to run touchscreen hardware. There have been some modest features added, such as Device Analyzer. I think we can expect bug fixes and continued optimization, but other than that OS 7 is what it is. It doesn't make sense for RIM to continue trying to squeeze blood out of that particular stone.

The worst aspect of it, I suspect, will be the effect on the app market for OS 7, which isn't exactly robust to begin with.

I bought my 9900 with the clear understanding that BB10, not OS 8, was coming next. When I company has to start over, as RIM is doing with BB10, there's no completely graceful way to do it, because it's not an incremental change. At some point you just have to make the break and move ahead. That's what 2012 is all about for RIM.
    05-07-12 08:09 AM
    Why are people so concerned about their OS 7 devices?
    Every year a new OS or improvement in technology happens and it makes last years tech "obsolete".

Support for OS 7 devices will go on for years. Stop freaking out.
    shaleem likes this.
    05-07-12 08:58 AM
    We need to get rid of 3 year contracts Im still on os 6 :'(
    05-07-12 09:20 AM
    I don't think the OP quite meant it that way. In my opinion it's just a little disappointing to fork out $600 on the new flagship phone, only to have it replaced in a year by another AND then not even to have a theme builder out for it! Why yes! I do feel a little put out about it. (My 9700 was top dog for a few years before the 9900 came out)
    Yep I will continue to use my 9900 and I love it but it just seems a bit crummy the way the 9900 was shunted aside so fast.
    So, you're irked that you bought your Bold a year ago... I just got mine in March. How should I feel?

I got my phone in the full knowledge that it wouldn't migrate to the new platform, and I was completely okay with that. RIM will continue to support OS7 and will even produce phones for a time. Developers will mostly continue to support it as well.
    05-07-12 09:46 AM
    Actually RIM has stated it will continue supporting BBOS...and have people working on it...but my question was whether that means only bug fixes or if they will release more major updates
    Was the update from OS 7 to OS 7.1 major? I would say not. Therefore, it's pretty easy to guess there will not be any more major updates and they will only be fixing bugs.
    05-07-12 09:50 AM
    Like some of you, I purchased my 9900 knowing full well that RIM was working on BB10. I can't see getting all bent out of shape because RIM is coming out with something new, and needed, in my opinion. Personally, I have a weakness for new technology, a ridiculous failing to be sure, but I can't seem to keep myself from getting the latest RIM device. That is why I have owned so many BlackBerrys. I'm sure that I'm not the only one like that. I am looking forward to BB10, but I will probably force myself to wait until they release it with a physical keyboard. Just my preference. One last thing, I don't understand why so many whine and complain about RIM lagging behind and then immediately whine and complain when RIM is doing something new and, hopefully, better. Maybe I'm stubborn, but BlackBerry is the only platform that I feel is suited to my needs so I really don't care about iPhone or Android, or whatever. I don't think RIM is going anywhere anytime soon and I will continue to use their product.
    05-07-12 11:22 AM
    I can't understand how people get upset saying "I just bought my phone and now they are making a better one" NEWSFLASH - new models are made every year for Blackberry, Android and Iphones, get use to it !!!! Buy them when they first come out and you will have the latest and greatest for a whole year until the next model comes out! I think people should research allot more before they buy.
    Just quit whining........
    05-07-12 12:24 PM
    That's not the point. RIM barely just released the BB9900( heck it hasn't even been a year) and now we won't get BB10? That's bullcrap. That is why Apple is such a great company when it comes to their hardware and software. Even a 3 year old iphone gets the update. And we are forced upgrade? Nope, don't buy that logic.
    Your 3 year update argument is BS. I have the 1st gen ipod touch and the latest firmware available for this device is 3.1.3 while the latest firmware is OS5.
    05-07-12 12:44 PM
    Your 3 year update argument is BS. I have the 1st gen ipod touch and the latest firmware available for this device is 3.1.3 while the latest firmware is OS5.
    He said iPhone not iPod.
    IPhone 3G & 3GS got the iOS 5 update.

& my grandmothers iPod touch 2nd Gen got the update as well.
    05-07-12 01:26 PM
    Maybe if RIM had led some to believe that the newest devices would be compatible with BB10. They didn't. I bought a phone, and a few weeks later they came out with the same phone with an extended battery. Sometimes with tech you gamble, and when you gamble, sometimes you lose.

Sent from my fingers on a 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 01:28 PM
    It's been said many of times that os7 is not compatible with OS 10
    Many, many times =D
    05-07-12 01:37 PM
    Haha, the SGS III is a joke. SGS II is a much better device. If you like touchscreen devices buy an S II and hunker down till BB10 comes out.
    A joke that will far outsell BB10. All the while Sammy continues to supply screens and other components to iFruit and quietly dominate the entire industry.
    05-07-12 01:41 PM
    Heck even the new iPhone is rumored to have a new smaller connector. Bye bye to all those ios dock devices and accessories if that pans out.
    If true that will be the biggest iBlunder in hiStory...
    05-07-12 01:46 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD