As much as I had hoped it would be, but I don't think RIM would be saved by the 9900.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to have it, I've been playing with my friend's 9900 non stop I love every improved aspect in it, but I just don' think it's enough to entice a new comer. Unfortunately, the 9900 is -now- in par with te rest of the market (to some degree).

Again, I hope I I am completely wrong but I am not seeing it happen.

P.s. whoever had issues with the auto-focus camera, well, you're wrong. I took like 10 pictures back to back very quick, and none were blurry. I love this phone.

Please no one even considers this as a trolling thread. I love my BlackBerry and that will never change so spare yourselves from the "if you don't like it, leave". No phone can compare to that of a BlackBerry.
    08-14-11 05:23 PM
    RIM doesnt need saving. They are growing globally.

/close thread
    anon(73368) likes this.
    08-14-11 05:27 PM
    My question is, whats your friend letting you spend all this time with his new bold for?
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-14-11 05:28 PM
    My question is, whats your friend letting you spend all this time with his new bold for?
    What's or Why?

To correct, my friend is a she. I am the one that convinced her to buy the 9900. She's an iPhone user.
    08-14-11 05:32 PM
    What's or Why?

To correct, my friend is a she. I am the one that convinced her to buy the 9900. She's an iPhone user.
    It was a joke....LoL
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-14-11 05:35 PM
    im playing, my point was not many people i know would give someone so much time on their brand new toy, at least enough to say this was suppose to save rim but won't. (I think the QNX is what will put RIM up to another level)
    08-14-11 05:39 PM
    Save judgement for when you actually have your own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-14-11 05:49 PM
    As much as I had hoped it would be, but I don't think RIM would be saved by the 9900.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to have it, I've been playing with my friend's 9900 non stop I love every improved aspect in it, but I just don' think it's enough to entice a new comer. Unfortunately, the 9900 is -now- in par with te rest of the market (to some degree).

Again, I hope I I am completely wrong but I am not seeing it happen.

P.s. whoever had issues with the auto-focus camera, well, you're wrong. I took like 10 pictures back to back very quick, and none were blurry. I love this phone.

Please no one even considers this as a trolling thread. I love my BlackBerry and that will never change so spare yourselves from the "if you don't like it, leave". No phone can compare to that of a BlackBerry.
    Why wouldn't you post the examples of these pictures? Do any of the shots include close up subjects?
    08-14-11 05:52 PM
    This is one of the pictures I took. I took it really fast because it was almost too late as the car had passed them (until I realized), thanks to the 9900 it was responsive! She was driving at around 130km/hr.

For the circumstance I was in, the quality of the picture is excellent.

Edit: That's definitely a zoomed image. The guy was much further than that.
    08-14-11 05:58 PM
    Save judgement for when you actually have your own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've done everything I need to do in 48 hours of having the phone in my possession all this time. It certainly won't change my judgement.
    08-14-11 06:02 PM
    This is one of the pictures I took. I took it really fast because it was almost too late as the car had passed them (until I realized), thanks to the 9900 it was responsive! She was driving at around 130km/hr.

Wow, pure example of how great the 9900 takes pics at closeups!
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-14-11 at 06:51 PM.
    08-14-11 06:11 PM
    Nice – anther tread hijacked by technolorg-fanboy or pythons. Is there nothing that can be done? They’re boring the h*ll out of me.
    08-14-11 06:48 PM
    Amen to that. Most of the threads have already been hijacked...lol
    08-14-11 06:50 PM

Thanks for posting that - I was hoping for a picture of the sort that the issue is all about....
    ....I'm only worried about the type of shots I would need to take for my job.
    ....I would agree with you for a subject shot while you are moving that is a fine picture out of a smartphone.

I don't want people to misunderstand what I've been saying here - my problem with the new 99xx is not that it can't take the type of pictures you just posted. My issue is that the examples I've looked at ( so far ) demonstrate that the 9900 isn't functional for the kinds of pictures I've been taking for 3 years with my current bold 9650.

I personally own a Canon 10D-SLR ,which back in it's day was about as good of a DSLR as anyone could buy. I still have it and use it often so my issue isn't related to my not having a professional camera and being miffed at RIM for not putting a DSLR camera in it's flagship.

Aside from a short Droid EVO 4g experience ( less than two months ) I've only ever been on a blackberry as far as smartphones go - I'm in my lower 40's and do not have a burning interest to get / learn a new smartphone u.i.

My whole point is that over the last three years I've been using a bold 9650 that took good enough close up shots I was no longer required to pack around the company D60 - I do transportation damage reports for a good sized auto group and part of the procedure is taking pictures of the damage which is often times scratches, small cracks in the windshield, under the hood stuff - whatever. I also shoot pics or make pdf's out of the bill of lading if there is damage.

This ability made my life much easier and allowed me to get more work done instead of running back to the office with a legal pad with all my notes for which img # contained which VIN and what damage - I could do it all right on my smartphone.

There are many other applications for having a functional camera on a smartphone but these things I've shared with you are why I need one. I don't want to go back to the paper and pen days with a heavy camera when I've not had to for over two years.

This is why I'm asking you ( if you have access to one ) to simply produce some close up shots of something like the text on a 8.5 x 11'' document ( the whole thing ) or perhaps under the hood of a car showing wires, stuff like that.

I'm not concerned that the camera in the 9900 does not take as good of distance pictures as the older bolds - I'm fine with that as the pics are still functional. What I've been saying is that the close up pictures of the sort anyone who uses their phone for work would take are not functional.

COntrary to what some people around here think I'm not a Troll, I'm just pissed that I might have to learn a new alien U.I. from what I've been using and always liked.
    EnnEnn likes this.
    08-14-11 06:50 PM
    Thanks for posting that - I was hoping for a picture of the sort that the issue is all about....
    ....I'm only worried about the type of shots I would need to take for my job.
    ....I would agree with you for a subject shot while you are moving that is a fine picture out of a smartphone.

I don't want people to misunderstand what I've been saying here - my problem with the new 99xx is not that it can't take the type of pictures you just posted. My issue is that the examples I've looked at ( so far ) demonstrate that the 9900 isn't functional for the kinds of pictures I've been taking for 3 years with my current bold 9650.

I personally own a Canon 10D-SLR ,which back in it's day was about as good of a DSLR as anyone could buy. I still have it and use it often so my issue isn't related to my not having a professional camera and being miffed at RIM for not putting a DSLR camera in it's flagship.

Aside from a short Droid EVO 4g experience ( less than two months ) I've only ever been on a blackberry as far as smartphones go - I'm in my lower 40's and do not have a burning interest to get / learn a new smartphone u.i.

My whole point is that over the last three years I've been using a bold 9650 that took good enough close up shots I was no longer required to pack around the company D60 - I do transportation damage reports for a good sized auto group and part of the procedure is taking pictures of the damage which is often times scratches, small cracks in the windshield, under the hood stuff - whatever. I also shoot pics or make pdf's out of the bill of lading if there is damage.

This ability made my life much easier and allowed me to get more work done instead of running back to the office with a legal pad with all my notes for which img # contained which VIN and what damage - I could do it all right on my smartphone.

There are many other applications for having a functional camera on a smartphone but these things I've shared with you are why I need one. I don't want to go back to the paper and pen days with a heavy camera when I've not had to for over two years.

This is why I'm asking you ( if you have access to one ) to simply produce some close up shots of something like the text on a 8.5 x 11'' document ( the whole thing ) or perhaps under the hood of a car showing wires, stuff like that.

I'm not concerned that the camera in the 9900 does not take as good of distance pictures as the older bolds - I'm fine with that as the pics are still functional. What I've been saying is that the close up pictures of the sort anyone who uses their phone for work would take are not functional.

COntrary to what some people around here think I'm not a Troll, I'm just pissed that I might have to learn a new alien U.I. from what I've been using and always liked.
    1. No one is forcing you to learn a new UI. You dont like it dont buy it.
    2. Thanks for the same essay you give in every thread.
    3. The new torch has AF, the bold 9780 has it, other manufacturers also do, if it means that much to you, go get another phone and stop whining already.
    4. Nobody cares
    5. No one wants to see you whine anymore. Were tired of it.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    08-14-11 07:06 PM
    Just forget it pythons, some people just want to close their eyes, and live in a bubble ignoring the negative points. I guess there is no point complainin' beause efen if people know it deep in their mind, they simply won't accept to admit it.

I have said it more than once, I know the phone lacks big time in the camera department, but I am still getting it? Why? Because my main need for a BlackBerry is emails, typing, chatting, and having a nicer screen.

I would've been delighted if it had the same camera as the 9780. I am not bashing the phone, not trolling, just wanted to complain hoping that someone from RIM does read these forums (I know there are RIM employees who are members here) and wanted those people to see the issues. Nothing is perfect in this world unfortunately.
    jinxednuance likes this.
    08-14-11 07:10 PM
    Just forget it pythons, some people just want to close their eyes, and live in a bubble ignoring the negative points. I guess there is no point complainin' beause efen if people know it deep in their mind, they simply won't accept to admit it.

I have said it more than once, I know the phone lacks big time in the camera department, but I am still getting it? Why? Because my main need for a BlackBerry is emails, typing, chatting, and having a nicer screen.

I would've been delighted if it had the same camera as the 9780. I am not bashing the phone, not trolling, just wanted to complain hoping that someone from RIM does read these forums (I know there are RIM employees who are members here) and wanted those people to see the issues. Nothing is perfect in this world unfortunately.
    No one is in a bubble except you.

We get it. you want AF so you and your buddy make 100+ posts on the issue. Search all posts by pythons, the first 100 that come up are about this issue, with the same regurgitated point.

It doesnt have the same camera as the 9780, get over it.

If you want to complain to RIM:

1. Call them
    2. Send them an email
    3. post on their forums

Every thread in this forum has a few posts by pyhton mentioning the lack of AF. How many times do we have to hear it?

To me no AF is not an issue. I dont care for a phone camera. If i wanted an AF camera this is what id do:

1. get a real camera
    2. get a phone with an AF camera.

What I wouldnt do is spam a forum with post after post of complaints on why there is no AF camera and how RIM made a mistake.
    Last edited by billybobjones; 08-14-11 at 07:21 PM.
    Masahiro and FMB8900 like this.
    08-14-11 07:19 PM
    It's ironic - the O.P. had zero issues with the camera yet he didn't think the new bold would be enough to save RIM. You have a different need for the phone and I do as well.

I think the BB's strength rests on it's ability to do email better than any other device on the market and combined with it's quality build ( these things are hard to kill ) and keyboard - RIM makes a world class smartphone.

If I were RIM the first thing I would work on is stopping the blood-loss from corporate business - take care of those folks first then add those things people who buy phones outside of corporate business want.

The new bold has an outstanding screen dpi = check.

The new bold has a smooth operating touchscreen = check.

The new bold has the same good battery life = check / winner

The new bold can do HD video = check / winner / not that important to business users.

The new bold does not have the ability to turn a document into a pdf = huge looser.

That's a whole bunch of good but a very nasty bad one for people like me. My bet is that the camera costs RIM more loss on this phone than everything else people may say is wrong about it.

I could be wrong but I doubt it - I've heard from too many people on this issue via pm and public comments and the spread is approx 70% the phone will not work for them because of the camera Vs the 30 % that say it's fine.

We shall see.
    08-14-11 07:25 PM
    No one is in a bubble except you.

We get it. you want AF so you and your buddy make 100+ posts on the issue. Search all posts by pythons, the first 100 that come up are about this issue, with the same regurgitated point.

It doesnt have the same camera as the 9780, get over it.

If you want to complain to RIM:

1. Call them
    2. Send them an email
    3. post on their forums

Every thread in this forum has a few posts by pyhton mentioning the lack of AF. How many times do we have to hear it?

To me no AF is not an issue. I dont care for a phone camera. If i wanted an AF camera this is what id do:

1. get a real camera
    2. get a phone with an AF camera.

What I wouldnt do is spam a forum with post after post of complaints on why there is no AF camera and how RIM made a mistake.
    Read the O.P. of this thread again - it suggests the 9900 will not be enough to save RIM and also does not feel there is any issue with the camera. What's really the problem with this phone then?

If you go back and read those posts that you searched under my name and actually read them you will discover that there are more people who feel the same way I do than those who "don't care" and are getting the device anyway.

As they say the devil is in the details and those details easily demonstrate that the majority of us simply want RIM to jump in and offer a fix that at least will allow us business users to keep even a low level of functionality when we move into the new device.

That isn't very much to ask and to remind you of the other fact your search of my posts demonstrate - it's that I really don't have any other issue with the Bold other than it's INability to function in a business capacity whereas the camera is concerned.
    08-14-11 07:33 PM
    Read the O.P. of this thread again - it suggests the 9900 will not be enough to save RIM and also does not feel there is any issue with the camera. What's really the problem with this phone then?

If you go back and read those posts that you searched under my name and actually read them you will discover that there are more people who feel the same way I do than those who "don't care" and are getting the device anyway.

As they say the devil is in the details and those details easily demonstrate that the majority of us simply want RIM to jump in and offer a fix that at least will allow us business users to keep even a low level of functionality when we move into the new device.

That isn't very much to ask and to remind you of the other fact your search of my posts demonstrate - it's that I really don't have any other issue with the Bold other than it's ability to function in a business capacity whereas the camera is concerned.
    If you really need to make PDFs ive found for you the perfect solution!!

Making PDFs
    08-14-11 07:36 PM
    The other option, of course, is just to keep your 9650 or whatever else you have. I'm considering this myself.

From what I can tell, the only differences between the 9650 and the 9930 is the keyboard and quickness. Well, those are the GOOD aspects of going to the 9930.

I'm thinking of buying a newish android off of Craigslist to keep me entertained and to learn a new OS just in case I have to jump ship from RIM entirely.

Once the 9930 goes on sale, I might jump on board. I dunno
    08-14-11 07:37 PM
    If you really need to make PDFs ive found for you the perfect solution!!

Making PDFs

If this was 2003 you would be right but alas it's 2011 and a blackberry being able to make a .pdf is "old hat".

Here,

Buy PDF Scanner – Scan Convert and Send with Just Your Phone! - Download PDF Scanner – Scan Convert and Send with Just Your Phone! - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

http://crackberry.com/pdf-scanner-blackberry

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-works-597984/

Those seem to be "vetted" links to blackberry app world and crackberry nation...
    ...perhaps someone could help me understand why the new bold can't use this app?
    ...Since you've evidently discovered this already ( your suggestion I buy one off Goggle search ).
    ...Perhaps you could shed light on this yourself.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-14-11 at 07:51 PM.
    08-14-11 07:45 PM
    The 9900 may not be enough to save RIM, but if it continues to turn heads, then it's enough to get people to have faith in RIM again.

Many people have already said that even though the 9900 is only on par with the competition, it's the BlackBerry experience they're looking for.

I'd like to think that it people start to believe in RIM again, even just a little, the next batch of phones will see better results. And if the next batch of phones happens to be QNX, I'm sure the PlayBook numbers will start to rise as a result.
    08-14-11 07:46 PM
    The other option, of course, is just to keep your 9650 or whatever else you have. I'm considering this myself.

From what I can tell, the only differences between the 9650 and the 9930 is the keyboard and quickness. Well, those are the GOOD aspects of going to the 9930.

I'm thinking of buying a newish android off of Craigslist to keep me entertained and to learn a new OS just in case I have to jump ship from RIM entirely.

Once the 9930 goes on sale, I might jump on board. I dunno
    I tried Droid and gave it up because of the battery issue - that and perhaps I'm just to set in my ways and know / appreciate the simple BB U.I.

Yeah, I know I'm pissed at the camera issue but damnit I'm not the only one...
    08-14-11 07:47 PM
    The 9900 may not be enough to save RIM, but if it continues to turn heads, then it's enough to get people to have faith in RIM again.

Many people have already said that even though the 9900 is only on par with the competition, it's the BlackBerry experience they're looking for.

I'd like to think that it people start to believe in RIM again, even just a little, the next batch of phones will see better results. And if the next batch of phones happens to be QNX, I'm sure the PlayBook numbers will start to rise as a result.
    Yes, and the ONLY people who can appreciate the BB experience are those who have lived in it....
    ...Therefore it's very important for RIM to not drive those folks away by decreasing the functionality of their devices.
    08-14-11 07:49 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD