Hi all, so I've been having a small issue with my 9900.

I got it around Christmas directly from RIM and am on AT&T but so far, I've yet to see anything except for 3G or EDGE in the top right corner (no H+).

I already called AT&T to register my new IMEI with them but they said they couldn't identify what phone I was using. The technical service rep said that it might be because it's a White 9900, but that was just a guess.

Does anybody have an idea as to what's going on and/or how to fix it?
    01-09-12 09:36 PM
    Check your about section to make sure you have the proper bands for it to work on ATT. Although now that I think about it if your getting 3G you should already have the proper ones so that just throws that out the window. It won't show H+ on ATT though - you'll see 4G
    01-09-12 10:11 PM
    Check to make sure that the 4G setting is enabled. If it is, it sounds like an issue with AT&T, and you should go to a AT&T store, as they have access to the backbone of the network.
    01-09-12 10:11 PM
    i actually think even though its showing 3G you're actually getting HSPA + (ie. ATT 4G signal). There is no '3G only setting' in this phone only "3G/H+" or "EDGE"
    01-09-12 10:56 PM
    Hey I also have a White unbranded 9900 directly from RIM. It shows 3G but is running H+ speeds. H+/4G branding is just for North American carriers for marketing purposes.

Unfortunately, there's no way to change the logo but know that you are still getting HSPA+ speeds if available. Tested and verified using this unbranded 9900 vs. Telus branded unlocked 9900. Same speeds when I used my SIM card in both.
    01-09-12 11:07 PM
    Using a Telus 9900 on Fido and getting H+. I use to only get 3G.

I was using a 10+ year old sim so the sim was still registering roaming on rogers but that's fine cause rogers owns fido now.

What I foundpersonal experience and LOTS of web research was that the 9900 will only show 3G if you are roaming. I finally changed my sim card about a month ago and now I am not roaming on rogers (shows fido only) and I get H+.
    01-09-12 11:34 PM
    It won't show H+ on ATT though - you'll see 4G
    incorrect. This is determined by the carrier with whom the phone was intended, not necessarily the carrier upon which you use your device. My unlocked Bell 9900 on AT&T shows H+ from day 1 and has remained so with each OS update. For a brief stint I also had an unlocked Rogers 9900, which also showed "H+" while running on AT&T.

It's the AT&T branded BB7 units running on AT&T's network that show "4G", because that's how they want their phones to look since they market HSPA+ as "4G". I believe that even if you update an AT&T branded device with non-AT&T-official OS's or leaked OS's, they will show "4G" rather than "H+". (I would be curious to see what happens if somebody takes an unlocked AT&T 9900 and runs it on Rogers or Bell - theoretically it should show "4G" since that's what AT&T originally wanted it to say).

I don't think that the OP's issue could be in the settings - I've not seen a separation of settings between H+and 3G - they are tied together usually as "3G/H+". OP, what does it show you as available options when you go to (Mobile Network) > (Network Options) ?

Does your data usage feel fast? Are you coming from a previous Blackberry on AT&T?

As another poster pointed out, you may also need a new SIM.

You also may be getting the H+ speeds just not the logo (as somebody else also said). Part of that could be the interaction between AT&T's system not recognizing your IMEI, and they never will. The AT&T computer systems determine the phone type based on known AT&T branded IMEI's, not the other way around - customer service can't override the system and enter a 9900 as "your phone" and then throw your IMEI on there. This would possibly impact your future ability to call the 1-800 # and change/add certain features to your plan if they are specifically designed for "4G Blackberry" devices. That's why I am assuming that you are coming from some 3G blackberry device on AT&T already since you are getting data (at least 3G, if not H+ already). If you were coming from a non-blackberry, I don't think AT&T could have even added a new blackberry data plan without you actually having an AT&T-recognized blackberry IMEI.

sorry, i know it's not all relevant
    mangofed likes this.
    01-10-12 12:19 AM
    not sure about att but when i got my 9000, fido had to input a dummy imei on my account.

at least that was i was told.
    01-10-12 12:36 AM
    I think H+/4G is only for carriers that want to market their "4G"
    I "only" get 3G even though sometimes i can get 10+ Mbps.
    01-10-12 01:12 AM
    Hey I also have a White unbranded 9900 directly from RIM. It shows 3G but is running H+ speeds. H+/4G branding is just for North American carriers for marketing purposes.
    How do you buy direct from RIM? In the past I could find an option on their web page, but not anymore.
    01-10-12 07:10 AM
    OP, you are getting H+ speeds. As others have pointed out, the icon displayed on your device is dependant on where the device originated, not the carrier.

Essentially H+ has replaced 3G - you will either get H+/3G or EDGE. Don't worry about what icon is being displayed.
    01-10-12 09:59 AM
    not sure about att but when i got my 9000, fido had to input a dummy imei on my account.

at least that was i was told.
    yes i just went through this as well - to get mobile hotspot working, I had to get a specific 4G Blackberry Plan from AT&T added onto my account, but over the phone they couldn't do that since my IMEI was not recognized (im running an unlocked Bell 9900 on ATT). I walked into a store, they threw the IMEI from the store model onto my account, changed the data plan, and mobile hotspot started working seconds later !!
    01-10-12 03:58 PM
    incorrect. This is determined by the carrier with whom the phone was intended, not necessarily the carrier upon which you use your device. My unlocked Bell 9900 on AT&T shows H+ from day 1 and has remained so with each OS update. For a brief stint I also had an unlocked Rogers 9900, which also showed "H+" while running on AT&T.

It's the AT&T branded BB7 units running on AT&T's network that show "4G", because that's how they want their phones to look since they market HSPA+ as "4G". I believe that even if you update an AT&T branded device with non-AT&T-official OS's or leaked OS's, they will show "4G" rather than "H+". (I would be curious to see what happens if somebody takes an unlocked AT&T 9900 and runs it on Rogers or Bell - theoretically it should show "4G" since that's what AT&T originally wanted it to say).

I don't think that the OP's issue could be in the settings - I've not seen a separation of settings between H+and 3G - they are tied together usually as "3G/H+". OP, what does it show you as available options when you go to (Mobile Network) > (Network Options) ?

Does your data usage feel fast? Are you coming from a previous Blackberry on AT&T?

As another poster pointed out, you may also need a new SIM.

You also may be getting the H+ speeds just not the logo (as somebody else also said). Part of that could be the interaction between AT&T's system not recognizing your IMEI, and they never will. The AT&T computer systems determine the phone type based on known AT&T branded IMEI's, not the other way around - customer service can't override the system and enter a 9900 as "your phone" and then throw your IMEI on there. This would possibly impact your future ability to call the 1-800 # and change/add certain features to your plan if they are specifically designed for "4G Blackberry" devices. That's why I am assuming that you are coming from some 3G blackberry device on AT&T already since you are getting data (at least 3G, if not H+ already). If you were coming from a non-blackberry, I don't think AT&T could have even added a new blackberry data plan without you actually having an AT&T-recognized blackberry IMEI.

sorry, i know it's not all relevant
    Thanks so much for the reply. My old phone was a 9700, so I wasn't too sure if the upgrade in browser speed I noticed was a result of BB7 or going from a 3G to H+ phone.

In settings, my only options are 3G, 3G and 2G, and 2G.

I think I'll visit an AT&T store just to see if a new SIM might do anything, but the speeds I've been getting are more than enough - I guess I was more just curious about why a H+/4G phone didn't give me an option for H+ (or tell me when Im on it).

And besides, if this is the only real fault I can find with this phone, its not too shabby, huh?
    01-10-12 11:39 PM
    OP, you are getting H+ speeds. As others have pointed out, the icon displayed on your device is dependant on where the device originated, not the carrier.

Essentially H+ has replaced 3G - you will either get H+/3G or EDGE. Don't worry about what icon is being displayed.
    I read this after I had replied to the other post, but this makes sense to me. Thanks!
    01-10-12 11:41 PM
    How do you buy direct from RIM? In the past I could find an option on their web page, but not anymore.
    The only way I know of to do so is through an employee purchase. One of my family members works for RIM and I was given this phone as a gift.
    01-10-12 11:43 PM
    The only way I know of to do so is through an employee purchase. One of my family members works for RIM and I was given this phone as a gift.
    exactly how i managed to get one...a good friend of mine works for RIM and he bought one through employee purchase.
    01-10-12 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD