Phone comes to a full charge at 12:00AM, pull it off the charger.

No apps running.

Bluetooth ON for Playbook.

Wake up at 7:30AM with 65% battery left.

I have the latest Verizon OS installed and at first battery life seemed great, but the last 3ish weeks have been pretty crappy. Is this normal battery wear - 35% in 7.5 hours with NO use?
    01-31-12 09:11 AM
    I would say that is abnormal based on my experience. Check your signal strength.
    01-31-12 09:35 AM
    I learned the hard way that you can't go by "No apps running".

For reasons that I don't understand, some apps "run", i.e., use CPU time, even when you don't open them or use them in any way.

Go into Options>Device>Application Management and swipe to the CPU screen. Select "Today" and have a look at how many apps are using CPU even though "Never used". You'll be surprised. Most of them should use only a little CPU, if they are well behaved. Pandora, for example, uses some CPU time every day even if you don't touch it.

So check for any apps that may be taking a big bite of CPU time (and therefore battery) even though they are not used. It's important to check the CPU rather than the Usage screen for this.
    01-31-12 11:12 AM

For reasons that I don't understand, some apps "run", i.e., use CPU time, even when you don't open them or use them in any way.

Go into Options>Device>Application Management and swipe to the CPU screen. Select "Today" and have a look at how many apps are using CPU even though "Never used". You'll be surprised. Most of them should use only a little CPU, if they are well behaved. Pandora, for example, uses some CPU time every day even if you don't touch it.

So check for any apps that may be taking a big bite of CPU time (and therefore battery) even though they are not used. It's important to check the CPU rather than the Usage screen for this.
    Right on the money with this... CPU tells you exactly was it running and what is not. I have a few apps that are running that I don't use that often. This when you contemplate the worthiness of an app.
    01-31-12 11:26 AM

No apps running.

I have the latest Verizon OS installed and at first battery life seemed great, but the last 3ish weeks have been pretty crappy. Is this normal battery wear - 35% in 7.5 hours with NO use?
    I feel your pain and damn near in the same boat with you. Are you running 7.1 or a 7.0 OS?
    01-31-12 11:31 AM

No apps running.

I feel your pain and damn near in the same boat with you. Are you running 7.1 or a 7.0 OS?
    How is your network connection? Are you full bars or teeter back and forth? I find that my connection sucks my battery down when I'm in certain areas for an extended time (overnight).

Check your social app refresh rates. I have mine turned off becaUse once you open the app(s), they refresh automatically.

Check your LED notifications. The LED should NOT drain battery life, but give it a try. I only have my LED active for two specific contacts.

If you are anywhere with wifi.... use it. Data over wifi uses less battery juice than your network connection. I was a believer of keeping it off but I tried keeping it on all the time and my battery has not been compromised. You would be surprised with all the places you can tap into Wifi.

My device averages about 15% drop overnight. I have about 50-60% left at the end of the day (off the charger around 06:30 and back on around 21:00).
    01-31-12 12:15 PM
    why do people charge their phones then take them off charge yet leave them turned on overnight? seems easier to charge while your asleep (recharge your phone while you recharge you own batterys )
    either way, i would suggest the very first thing, is turn off the bluetooth. realistically, your asleep, so it being bridged to your PlayBook is simply a waste of power. this would be a good starting point.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-31-12 12:41 PM
    I would say that is abnormal based on my experience. Check your signal strength.
    It ranges widely between -107 dBm and -92 dBm, sometimes even in the same spot.

I just tried this and all were at 0% except for the options folder. I'll keep an eye out though. Thank you for this tip.

why do people charge their phones then take them off charge yet leave them turned on overnight? seems easier to charge while your asleep (recharge your phone while you recharge you own batterys )
    either way, i would suggest the very first thing, is turn off the bluetooth. realistically, your asleep, so it being bridged to your PlayBook is simply a waste of power. this would be a good starting point.
    I've thought about this but it just seemed unnecessary until the last few weeks when my battery life became noticeably worse. I pull my phone off the charger after it's done charging because I've read that it's one of the ways to preserve a li-on battery. Letting it sit on the charger for hours on end, when it's already at 100%, will wear down the battery over time (or so I have read).
    02-01-12 12:13 AM
    I've thought about this but it just seemed unnecessary until the last few weeks when my battery life became noticeably worse. I pull my phone off the charger after it's done charging because I've read that it's one of the ways to preserve a li-on battery. Letting it sit on the charger for hours on end, when it's already at 100%, will wear down the battery over time (or so I have read).
    My suggestion would be to just try shutting of bluetooth (can't hurt really) - I've found on certain devices like my 8900 bluetooth caused a huge drain on my battery, this wasn't the case with my 9700/9780, but I'm undecided about the 9900 so far.

Since in this case, you said your going to be asleep for those few hours, I can't see it hurting to try turning it off, and see if you get any change in battery performance.

As for the battery being left on it's charger, I've left devices on a charger for a week or so while they're fully charged, usually by accident, with no noticeable (negative) side effects coming about as a result. Your battery and device is smart enough to know when it's finished charging, and will then trickle charge from that point on.

While it's probably negligible in this case, you actually could be aging the battery faster via performing more charge/discharge cycles on it due to the quicker drain versus if you just leave it on the charger through the night.
    02-01-12 12:32 AM
    It ranges widely between -107 dBm and -92 dBm, sometimes even in the same spot.

I just tried this and all were at 0% except for the options folder. I'll keep an eye out though. Thank you for this tip.

Nope. This is yet another "old wives tale" from the days of ni-cad & ni-mh batteries. Lithium based batteries like to be topped off and kept charged. No problem leaving it on the charger overnight.

sent using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 01:13 AM
    Good to know. Thanks, gents!
    02-01-12 10:49 AM
    Nope. This is yet another "old wives tale" from the days of ni-cad & ni-mh batteries. Lithium based batteries like to be topped off and kept charged. No problem leaving it on the charger overnight.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is circuitry to prevent overcharging/overheating. So if you leave it on the charger after 100%, it will only accept as much charge as it needs to replenish the little bit that it loses just sitting there.

For what it's worth, I've charged every BB I've owned, starting with the 8320, every night while sleeping--and I did the same with SideKicks for three years before that. It never occurred to me not to charge every night, since I see no advantage to starting the day with a partially charged phone. Since any of these phones would charge to 100% in a few hours, they all stayed on the charger at 100% every single night, and there was never a problem with any of them.
    02-01-12 11:06 AM
    Good to know. Thanks, gents!
    I tested out my device lastnight for you.

I had it off the charger last night with bluetooth off and Wifi on. I have two social apps Facebook and Twitter. Both are set to never auto refresh and twitter tweets are turned off. I have my Facebook set up to only send notifications for messages, friend requests, posts on my wall, and notifications for only about 10 people. I have 4 email addresses setup and only one is really busy. So as you can see my device sits almost completely idle.

My 9930 dropped only 5% over an 8 hour period lastnight. I was pretty impressed. I've never noticed results like this. I'm sure I'll try it out again tonight.

So in the end, play around with all your settings and notifications of your apps.
    02-01-12 11:11 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, there is circuitry to prevent overcharging/overheating. So if you leave it on the charger after 100%, it will only accept as much charge as it needs to replenish the little bit that it loses just sitting there.
    This is correct

sent using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 05:22 PM
    Ubizmo,

Thanks for the pointer. My 9900 suddenly decided it wanted to eat its batteries. I could literally watch the % power left meter decrease in realtime. Very annoying - although it
    did turn the 9900 into an nice hand warmer for a cold winter's day. Followed your instructions and found that google maps was using 97% CPU and was constantly making
    network contact all without me knowing it. Exit the app and back to normal. It should be common practice to check if apps are running away with resources. I always do it on my workstation, home computer, laptop, now my 9900 and once I figure out how on my Playbook. Thanks again.

Michael Grant
    MPLexus301 likes this.
    02-01-12 07:35 PM
    Nah, it's easier to whinge and blame the phone.
    02-01-12 07:38 PM
    Isn't that Bluetooth can drain the battery too? I found when I use Bluetooth on my car, my phone's battery drains faster.
    02-01-12 07:38 PM
    Isn't that Bluetooth can drain the battery too? I found when I use Bluetooth on my car, my phone's battery drains faster.
    Using BT on my 9000 would suck the battery flat in 30 minutes. On my 9900 it has little or no added drain.
    02-04-12 09:12 PM
    I fount that when I teather using BT I just kill the batery. I think that in 4-5 hours I candrain it all. (Using the carier internet conection).
    Otherwise the batery lasts me a little more then 24 hours.
    02-04-12 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD