Just got a 9900 from my cousin (he's Pay and Go, lost his job and can't afford to keep BIS), he's had it for just over a month and its been fine (his first bricked and had to be returned). I'm going to device switch to it later when I get in from work but am still a bit worried that it may nuke or brick and some point so was wondering if anyone had any tips or things they do/don't do which *seem* to work for them? (I know no-one's sure why it happens yet).
    12-06-11 11:24 AM
    Don't charge overnight, from what i've seen most people woke up to a bricked phone while leaving the phone to charge overnight. Hope that helps. I personally unplug the phone not more than an hour after it's fully charged.
    12-06-11 11:34 AM
    I charge mine overnight... every night. No problems here.
    12-06-11 11:37 AM
    I charge mine overnight... every night. No problems here.
    Co-sign......
    12-06-11 12:18 PM
    That is a little worrisome, I am pretty habitual about charging at night, all night (sometimes on Sunday it never even comes off the charger at all if I stay in my PJ's)

I am just in the habit of turning it off and plugging it in before I slip in to bed. Hope this isn't discovered to be the cause.

Chad
    12-06-11 12:43 PM
    I am just in the habit of turning it off and plugging it in before I slip in to bed.
    You can turn it off???

I haven't had a problem with my phone, and I don't think anyone has done a proper analysis of the issue to really come to a cause. If it's happening at night on the charger:
    - is the phone turned off?
    - is it in bedside mode?
    - is it not in bedside mode and the clock app running?
    - is it on BES?
    - is WiFi on? Cell radio? Bluetooth?
    - are any apps running in the background?
    - are any apps actively getting data (like twitter feeds)?

Anyway, the problems are so isolated and may be due to a bad hardware batch or might be due to some mix and match of the above ...
    12-06-11 02:29 PM
    Step one: Don't read forums.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-06-11 02:43 PM
    Just got a 9900 from my cousin (he's Pay and Go, lost his job and can't afford to keep BIS), he's had it for just over a month and its been fine (his first bricked and had to be returned). I'm going to device switch to it later when I get in from work but am still a bit worried that it may nuke or brick and some point so was wondering if anyone had any tips or things they do/don't do which *seem* to work for them? (I know no-one's sure why it happens yet).
    DO NOT do a device switch. It is not recommended when changing between OS' (eg: OS6 > OS7).

Best bet is to backup your current and then do a selective restore on the 9900 (things like WiFi settings, emails, contacts). Do not restore any system settings.
    12-06-11 03:01 PM
    Step one: Don't read forums.
    Now that is funny! I'll have to remember that.
    12-06-11 03:20 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will do a selective restore instead then, I wasn't sure about device switching from one OS to another.
    Urbanguy I hope you're right about it being a bad batch and fingers crossed mine is fine!
    12-06-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD