I know that the 9900 doesn't have an AF camera, and it seems that it doesn't have UMA. Can anyone who previously used both fairly extensively and now has a 9900 comment on how their overall device experience is affected as a result? (so not so much specifics, but how much the effect is felt)
    08-11-11 04:24 PM
    No clue about UMA but the camera issue has been covered. And recovered. Then covered again.
    08-11-11 04:26 PM
    Depending on your carrier, UMA will be offered through Rogers via a software update down the road, similar to the way UMA was released to the 9700.
    08-11-11 04:28 PM
    UMA is carrier dependent, call you carrier.

Camera thing? Search the forums
    08-11-11 04:28 PM
    Is UMA software dependent? I genuinely don't know, but there's a lot of speculation (and some inconclusive evidence) that the 9900 doesn't have it, with the suggestion that it's a hardware thing. I've not heard anyone say they have it on the 9900, regardless of the carrier.

I know the camera problems have been extensively covered, hence not asking for examples. I'm interested to see how someone who previously used these features as a fairly central part of their BB experience feels living without them.
    08-11-11 04:32 PM
    UMA is definitely software/carrier dependent. The lack of AF does kinda suck, but the 9900 does amazing video/audio recording.

3Dee likes this.
    08-11-11 04:33 PM
    Thanks dude, makes me feel a bit calmer...

Edit: if UMA is confirmed one of the mods might as well delete this thread as it just becomes another camera thread.

Double Edit: whilst not meaning to labour the point, the UK BB website specs mention UMA for the previous Bolds, but it is a noticeable omission on the 9900 specs page. It's also probably no clear sign, but the Orange UK website clearly lists UMA as a key feature for all previous BBs - no mention for the 9900. Hope that I'm just being paranoid here though.
    Last edited by 3Dee; 08-11-11 at 05:03 PM.
    08-11-11 04:34 PM
    I dunno about other carriers, but I think Rogers supports it in Canada and T-Mobile will definitely have it enabled in the US.
    08-11-11 04:43 PM
    I'm TM U.S. TM has had UMA on all BB since the 8320. I always assumed it was a hardware feature. Our early 9700 came with it.
    Maybe what Rogers is going to do is do a UMA "lookalike". Eg. TM Androids since last Nov. have had "UMA" - but it is done via software, I believe. It doesn't automatically switch back and forth from wifi to cell and back again if you go back into your non-cell signal location.
    08-11-11 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD