Under OPTIONS, Device, Advanced System Settings, BB Device Analyzer, Hardware, Speaker Test (could they have buried that option any further), when I try using either Handset or Loudspeaker and no matter what tone I choose, I hear NOTHING. Now maybe the tones they use are of a frequency that an oldster cannot hear but ....

Anyone else ever try that?

What triggered this is that my 9930 seems much quieter than my 9650/Bold when playing music. I entertained an entire gym class last week with the Bold. I don't think people nearby me would hear the 9930. And I did play with audio boost.

edited to add: Hmm, the microphone test "Unable to stream from the mic. Please restart..." Well, I just did restart and it gave the same message. Any more takers on this one?
    Last edited by F2; 03-05-12 at 02:06 PM.
    03-05-12 01:58 PM
    I would take the phone back to the carrier to just to make sure that your phone has no issues. This could be a hardware problem even though you may be able to hear music from the speakers.
    03-05-12 03:27 PM
    The darn Verizon stores around here don't even demo it which would allow me to try that on their model (if they even put the newest OS on the device). For phones, I guess we go to the carrier (unlike the playbook where we call rim).

I was just hoping someone else could confirm if this is a real issue or maybe the test just does not work. I could try the other two tests: wired headphones and bt and see what those do..
    03-05-12 04:46 PM
    Same for me. When I run the test, I cannot hear anything.
    03-05-12 04:50 PM
    Same for me. When I run the test, I cannot hear anything.
    Oh, GOOD, I think!

At least, I'm not alone. I was surprised, the gps located me so quickly. So I ran this test and the microphone test - flunked both. Sdcard test was fine.
    03-05-12 05:17 PM
    I couldn't hear anything either but all audio is working great for me. I wouldn't put too much faith in the Device Analyzer.
    03-05-12 08:04 PM
    I tried the test yesterday and couldn't hear anything, either. Glad to hear it is not just me.

The speaker on my 9850 has degraded over the last two 0S updates, and was never anywhere as good as my 9550. I think this is a known issue. It makes it so hard for me to use the phone.

Please RIM - fix this before you abandon this OS for BB10!
    03-19-12 10:05 AM
    All, BUT the Speaker test work.
    03-19-12 10:16 PM
    I'm thinking RIM forgot to include the tone files in these latest OS builds. The first time you run the test there's no sound, and thereafter the Tone options are greyed out.
    03-19-12 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD