I just heard that Mugen Power gave up developing a battery for the 99xx series, as "....RIM designed new devices after the 97xx series in a way to not read OEM batteries...".
    So this potentially means that there will never be an option to boost the 99xx's battery endurance (unless RIM decides to release a stronger one). Any comments or thoughts?
    10-17-11 04:42 AM
    I actually don't see the point in limiting the battery aftermarket by locking out OEM's if you don't offer it yourself. If RIM would be selling batteries with higher capacity I would understand completely.

Maybe they can license it out to OEM's. That way they'll still make money of of it.
    10-17-11 05:48 AM
    This is bad more choice is almost always better.
    Maybe they prefer selling their spare battery and charger bundle..
    10-17-11 06:58 AM
    They designed their devices to not read their own batteries (OEM)???

Many companies are close to bringing extended batteries for the 9900/9930 to market right now. By Christmas (or sooner) of this year we will have a number of options available for purchase.
    10-17-11 08:08 AM
    5 Seconds in google shows that there is one already available at 2400Mah, but you lose the NFC antenna, it looks like a rushed product. I dunno if I would buy this.

Extended Battery with Cover For RIM BLACKBERRY Bold 9900 Li-ion 2400Mah - Bold 9900

And here is a smaller one at 1500Mah that doesn't require a new door.

High Capacity Battery For RIM BLACKBERRY Bold 9900 Li-ion 1500Mah

But I would wait for Seidio batteries, they are in the works now. I am not sure of the quality of megacapacity.com.
    10-17-11 08:18 AM
    I'm pretty sure it was discovered that these didn't fit the 99xx models and were actually for older bold models. The testimonials are from 2010.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 08:31 AM
    Could be. But I know that Seidio is working on them, so I am waiting for them.

Though, with the latest OS installed, I dunno if I even need an extended battery. My discharge rate is under 3%/Hr and I am getting over 12 hours out of my phone with usually around 30% left over when I throw it on the charger. It's about the same as my old Curve now.
    10-17-11 08:38 AM
    5 Seconds in google shows that there is one already available at 2400Mah, but you lose the NFC antenna, it looks like a rushed product. I dunno if I would buy this.

Extended Battery with Cover For RIM BLACKBERRY Bold 9900 Li-ion 2400Mah - Bold 9900

But I would wait for Seidio batteries, they are in the works now. I am not sure of the quality of megacapacity.com.
    Those are replacements for the M-S1 the battery used in the 9000, 9700 and 9780. If your other intel is as sharp then we shouldn't cross our fingers and hope for extended batteries by christmas. I think I'll stick to my spare battery and charger bundle for now.
    10-17-11 08:56 AM
    They designed their devices to not read their own batteries (OEM)???

Many companies are close to bringing extended batteries for the 9900/9930 to market right now. By Christmas (or sooner) of this year we will have a number of options available for purchase.
    I know this is misleading but OEM typically means a manufacturer that produces replacement parts for a devie made by another company. SO in this case it means a battery not coming from RIM.
    10-17-11 09:33 AM
    They are in the works, here is another 5 seconds in google. BlackBerry Bold 9900 extended battery PA-RB016H1

They are coming, just be patient and wait for one of the better companies like Seidio to release them. There WILL be quality options released by Christmas. But by then we will all be on OS 7.1 and probably won't even need extended batteries anymore.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 10-17-11 at 09:38 AM.
    10-17-11 09:33 AM
    Could be. But I know that Seidio is working on them, so I am waiting for them.

Though, with the latest OS installed, I dunno if I even need an extended battery. My discharge rate is under 3%/Hr and I am getting over 12 hours out of my phone with usually around 30% left over when I throw it on the charger. It's about the same as my old Curve now.
    Mugen Power was working on such a battery until literally last friday. Today the information arrived that they gave up. Hopefully Seidio won't face the same issues and give up too.
    10-17-11 09:35 AM
    They are in the works, here is another 5 seconds in google. BlackBerry Bold 9900 extended battery PA-RB016H1

They are coming, just be patient and wait for one of the better companies like Seidio to release them. There WILL be quality options released by Christmas.
    And ~20 seconds research in this forum will show that there are lots of fakes and misleading offers for the 9900 out there - some guys even ordered these and found they didn't even fit into the battery slot....
    I personally made excellent experiences with batteries from Mugen Power, others report that Seidio also did well, so I would not dare to order from other, even more exotic sources. I do have concerns that if a company like Mugen gives up, what does that mean for others? But time will tell...
    10-17-11 09:41 AM
    For sure, there is lots of shady stuff out there. And I wouldn't buy from any of these companies either, I just posted the links to show that companies are in fact working on them. Seidio has stated that they are working on it as well.

So I suggest people just upgrade their OS for now, and plan on buying extended batteries by the end of the year from a quality company if they still feel they need them.

And like I said. By then, we will all be on OS7.1. I seriously doubt that 90+% of Bold 9900 users will even think they need an extended battery by that time.
    10-17-11 09:52 AM
    btw...A Bold 9900 with 7.0.0.439 installed already beats the battery life of the new iPhone 4s by a fair margin.
    10-17-11 09:55 AM
    I know this is misleading but OEM typically means a manufacturer that produces replacement parts for a devie made by another company. SO in this case it means a battery not coming from RIM.
    No, it doesn't. OEM stands for Original Equipment from Manufacturer, and means that either the original manufacturer (in this case RIM) or a designated third-party (in this case whatever company RIM uses to make their batteries under the RIM/BlackBerry branding) has made the part.

These batteries from Mugen/Seidio/etc. are not OEM. They are third-party and may not be branded as OEM parts. And at this point, people are starting to get worked up over rumor and speculation. There is no proof that RIM has prevented third-parties from creating replacement batteries for the 99xx.

Therefore, EvilmasterMMA was right... the OP's statement that OEM batteries will not work in the device means that RIM's own batteries won't work, and that's absurd.
    10-17-11 09:57 AM

These are the wrong part number, they don't fit the 9900.
    10-17-11 10:15 AM
    No, it doesn't. OEM stands for Original Equipment from Manufacturer, and means that either the original manufacturer (in this case RIM) or a designated third-party (in this case whatever company RIM uses to make their batteries under the RIM/BlackBerry branding) has made the part.

These batteries from Mugen/Seidio/etc. are not OEM. They are third-party and may not be branded as OEM parts. And at this point, people are starting to get worked up over rumor and speculation. There is no proof that RIM has prevented third-parties from creating replacement batteries for the 99xx.

Therefore, EvilmasterMMA was right... the OP's statement that OEM batteries will not work in the device means that RIM's own batteries won't work, and that's absurd.
    It actually doesn't stand for "Equipment FROM Manufacturer" but "Equipment Manufacturer" (subtle diference). It is a term that the IT industry often uses for third party manufacturers, which is incorrect, but unfortunately commonly used. The meaning is that it fits the original device as if it was an original. But this is not the point here, let's agree on third party, to re-focus on the original topic.
    Fact is, that Mugen stopped their development of replacement batteries for the 99xx series, because the device didn't accept third party batteries-unlike all other older BBs that they provide batteries for. And this information comes from Mugen directly, so no speculation.
    I'll be very happy to see that other serious companies release stronger & properly working replacement batteries.
    10-17-11 10:31 AM
    25 years in the IT world here. OEM means "original equipment manufacturer" that's it. That term is used to describe original equipment. NOT third party. Third party is called "third party".

And Mugen delayed their products more than likely because of the NFC antenna contained within the battery door.
    10-17-11 10:39 AM
    Anyway as of today it doesn't seem like we have the ability to buy a safe extended battery for the 9900. Buy a spare with the charger bundle and problem solved. The only downside is to have to switch battery and to not forget the spare. So if you use a protection you may have to remove it to switch batteries.
    10-17-11 10:45 AM
    25 years in the IT world here. OEM means "original equipment manufacturer" that's it. That term is used to describe original equipment. NOT third party. Third party is called "third party".

And Mugen delayed their products more than likely because of the NFC antenna contained within the battery door.
    I don't know what more to say than that this term is being used in that way, and that this is incorrect........
    But it is being used.
    10-17-11 10:49 AM
    Seidio has already said on their facebook page that they are NOT developing an extended battery for the 9900/9930. Sorry, don't know how to link to a specific fb post, but here's a copy and paste from comments.....

Seidio Sumit - we're currently not developing an extended battery for the 9900. If anything changes we'll keep everyone posted. Sorry about that!
    October 10 at 11:04am
    10-17-11 05:11 PM
    I don't know what more to say than that this term is being used in that way, and that this is incorrect........
    But it is being used.
    Where have you been hearing that OEM does not mean Original Equipment Manufacturer? Becuase, where ever/whom ever you are hearing that from is full of turds.

I always liked the Mugen batteries better than the Seidio - they seem to have lasted longer. But, Seidio in recent years has gotten better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 05:27 PM
    Products are already on the market in Hong Kong. They will be available in North America by Christmas. Lots of companies are working on this. I know what Seidio said on their facebook page, but they will be announcing an extended 9900/9930 battery soon.

10-17-11 05:59 PM
    3500mAh that sounds sexy to me :-)
    10-17-11 06:13 PM
    Seidio Sumit - we're currently not developing an extended battery for the 9900. If anything changes we'll keep everyone posted. Sorry about that!October 10 at 11:04am

The only extended battery I'll buy is from Seidio.
    10-17-11 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD