I have been debating on whether to sell or trade my iPhone 4 for the Bold 9900. The wife has given me full permission to switch if that is what I want to do. However, there is one big thing that is holding me back - the Apps. I have been reading quite a few threads along with other articles of particular apps that either have not updated to the new OS7 or no longer supporting Blackberry which has me a little concerned. For example Linkedin has not been updated since 1.5, but there are recent updates for iPhones and Androids which are advertised on the website with no mention of anything regarding the blackberry. It just seems that there is no love for RIM at the moment.

Patience is not my strong suit but maybe someone can reassure me that the updates are coming and there are new apps being developed for the device. I understand that not all apps get the royal treatment on iPhones as well but the updates and new apps are far more frequent.

I may be comparing apples to oranges here but I do like the physical keyboard that Blackberries are synonymous with.
    09-13-11 10:03 AM
    I'm thinking of going back to Blackberry from Android but I feel the same as you. I left BlackBerry for a number of reasons, one being the lack of apps.

No, I don't play games. But apps like Delta, Happy Cow and Tango just aren't on BlackBerry for some reason.

My advice to you is to stay iPhone until BlackBerry HAS the apps already. Since you said you're NOT patient. It takes quite a while for apps to be made compatible. Annoying but true with BlackBerry. As well, some apps just won't be made for OS7 but hopefully will for QNX.

I'm staying Android until QNX BlackBerry devices are out and established.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-13-11 at 10:18 AM.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-13-11 10:08 AM
    Definitely true that apps for OS7 are lacking. But as we saw with Pandora, the developers are working to get them available for OS7. If there's an app you must have and isn't available on OS7, you should wait so you aren't disappointed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-13-11 10:16 AM
    I have been debating on whether to sell or trade my iPhone 4 for the Bold 9900. The wife has given me full permission to switch if that is what I want to do. However, there is one big thing that is holding me back - the Apps. I have been reading quite a few threads along with other articles of particular apps that either have not updated to the new OS7 or no longer supporting Blackberry which has me a little concerned. For example Linkedin has not been updated since 1.5, but there are recent updates for iPhones and Androids which are advertised on the website with no mention of anything regarding the blackberry. It just seems that there is no love for RIM at the moment.

Patience is not my strong suit but maybe someone can reassure me that the updates are coming and there are new apps being developed for the device. I understand that not all apps get the royal treatment on iPhones as well but the updates and new apps are far more frequent.

I may be comparing apples to oranges here but I do like the physical keyboard that Blackberries are synonymous with.
    You do make a good point and there have been many articles written on various forums and not just CB about the lack of apps and devs. that are not doing as many apps for BB as Android or IOS devices.

Since I have switched to my 9930 from Tour I suppose I have been lucky that the apps I had installed on my Tour have all been made OS 7 compatible except for one that i can live w/o.

They will come out with new apps and themes if you keep an eye out and when you see what you like that are OS 7 ready that would be the time to get a 9900/9930 depending on your carrier but don't give up. These are really good devices when you get use to them.

Also you have to consider how much money I hate to say the devs. make from iTunes as opposed to App World!
    09-13-11 10:17 AM
    I'm thinking of going back to Blackberry from Android but I feel the same as you. I left BlackBerry for a number of reasons, one being the lack of apps.

No, I don't play games. But apps like Delta, Happy Cow and Tango just aren't on BlackBerry for some reason.

My advice to you is to stay iPhone until BlackBerry HAS the apps already. Since you said you're NOT patient. It takes quite a while for apps to be made compatible. Annoying but true with BlackBerry. As well, some apps just won't be made for OS7 but hopefully will for QNX.

I'm staying Android until QNX BlackBerry devices are out and established.

A friendly answer here ok? Too bad you can't get your hands on a 9930 for a week to play with it like you want and you would change your mind quickly despite QNX.

I am very happy with going to the 9930 after I learned to just keep my fingers away from the screens when I type...lol.

OS 7 apps as I mentioned below are coming more and more every day.
    09-13-11 10:23 AM
    I don't get why there is this constant debate of BB platform vs iPhone. To me, it's a very clear difference: if your main desire is a messaging phone with an excellent hard keyboard, that is capable of running a core, basic set of "smartphone" apps for productivity, and media, the Blackberry will SUFFICE. Most apps lacking on the Blackberry, can be found as a mobile web site. Not as easy and pretty, but, there. If you are ok with a soft keyboard, and want a fuller media, business, productivity, and gaming experience, get the iphone. I carry both.
    Jaguarr40 and marcomendez like this.
    09-13-11 10:31 AM
    I don't get why there is this constant debate of BB platform vs iPhone. To me, it's a very clear difference: if your main desire is a messaging phone with an excellent hard keyboard, that is capable of running a core, basic set of "smartphone" apps for productivity, and media, the Blackberry will SUFFICE. Most apps lacking on the Blackberry, can be found as a mobile web site. Not as easy and pretty, but, there. If you are ok with a soft keyboard, and want a fuller media, business, productivity, and gaming experience, get the iphone. I carry both.
    AMEN... I don't carry the Iphone but your answer is as good as any to differentiate why buy one over the other and to tell you the truth which I have no problem in saying, When the new Applestore opens where I live next month I am going to get the new iPhone 5 so I can use my new 9930 for work and as stated the Iphone for other things at home.
    09-13-11 10:38 AM
    There is such debate because it's not that black and white. Other platforms are awesome communication devices as well. Each platform also has their pros and cons. So each users has to decide for themselves what their priorities are, in a smartphone, and buy the device that most closely matches.

Not one platform has it all, unfortunately. If I stay Android I give up some features I loved on BlackBerry. If I go back to BlackBerry, I give up some features I've come to love on my Android. Both are great devices for communication for me, so it's the other details.

All smartphone do IM, email, and basic communications.
    O
    It's not a war. It's just comparisons. I've used the iPhone and it has some awesome features. I'd never use one hour because the notifications annoy the crap out of me. If that changes, I'll take another look at iPhone. When QNX BlackBerry is out, I'll look at those.

09-13-11 10:46 AM
    The apps on android are awesome and there is definitely a big difference between the two. But also the difference in using the two devices is like night and day. I use to use picsay for android and found a app similar on app world so there are some alternative apps. I switched for a few reasons but I still have a galaxy tab also. IMO if you need to email on the go then BB is the way to go if not and want all the bells and whistles then for sure go android until QNX is released.

09-13-11 10:47 AM
    I've been using virtually every phone, since the Motorola "brick" in 1986, I believe. And, i've known since then, that there is no single device that "does it all" So, carrying the iPhone4 (with a Mophie Juice Pack, no less) and the 9900, in one hand, to have all that power and productivity, is not a big effort. Besides, its nice to be able to spread battery life over 2 devices. Plus I carry an iPad as well during the business day. No biggie, for what you're getting. But, I do realize that money is an object for some people, and there is a balance in decision that needs ot sometimes be made.
    09-13-11 10:47 AM
    The apps on android are awesome and there is definitely a big difference between the two. But also the difference in using the two devices is like night and day. I use to use picsay for android and found a app similar on app world so there are some alternative apps. I switched for a few reasons but I still have a galaxy tab also. IMO if you need to email on the go then BB is the way to go if not and want all the bells and whistles then for sure go android until QNX is released.

That's a good idea. I've been thinking of getting a BlackBerry OS7 device AND having an Android tab or iPad. Best of all worlds!

09-13-11 10:48 AM
    Stick with the I-phone until QNX is out and you might want to wait past then also. When companies and devs think blackberry they think dinosaur. More and more apps are being ignored for the blackberry and companies have released statements where they state that they will no longer provide blackberry suppport. I love my berry and do not play many games on my phone. That could be because I'm busy or there is just no apps anyway. The Os 7 devices are nice but after a weeek they are old already. Us berry fans have waited so long for a new OS we jumped at this when deep in our heart we know this is just sub-par. RIM has made come corrections but have along road to travel. I really want a 9810 but do not think its wort another contract. Im trying to wait for the qnx but i will look at the Iphone 5. RIMM needs help and i mean fast
    09-13-11 10:50 AM
    QNX will make the Blackberry platform simply a better Blackberry, not An iPhone or Android.

And, a platform that they still cannot figure out how to connect to their core function, BES, shows that it is not a ground up Blackberry platform, but one they are desperately trying to integrate. Can't be good as a whole, and will certainly have roadblocks for quite a while. But it looks pretty :-)
    Last edited by jeffharris; 09-13-11 at 10:57 AM.
    09-13-11 10:55 AM
    There is such debate because it's not that black and white. Other platforms are awesome communication devices as well. Each platform also has their pros and cons. So each users has to decide for themselves what their priorities are, in a smartphone, and buy the device that most closely matches.

Not one platform has it all, unfortunately. If I stay Android I give up some features I loved on BlackBerry. If I go back to BlackBerry, I give up some features I've come to love on my Android. Both are great devices for communication for me, so it's the other details.

All smartphone do IM, email, and basic communications.
    O
    It's not a war. It's just comparisons. I've used the iPhone and it has some awesome features. I'd never use one hour because the notifications annoy the crap out of me. If that changes, I'll take another look at iPhone. When QNX BlackBerry is out, I'll look at those.

You might like to go onto www.tipb.com and search for iOS 5 or for that matter Apple and read about the new notifications that they are coming out with on the new iPhone 5 which by the way they took from your Android...Same thing dragging your finger from the top to the bottom and open an entire pain of notifications which are cool and another reason I mentioned that when the apple stote opens next month where I live I might get one from there to learn more about it as well as my 9930 for business.

give it a read and see what you think along with the iCloud.
    09-13-11 10:55 AM
    As well, some apps just won't be made for OS7 but hopefully will for QNX.
    I am not sure why people seem to think all the app developers are waiting in the wings for QNX. I hope it ends up being so good to develop for that there are lots of apps. But there is no reason to think at launch or even near launch there will be even as many QNX apps as there are traditional BB OS apps. Unless you mean Android app player apps.

09-13-11 10:56 AM
    I am not sure why people seem to think all the app developers are waiting in the wings for QNX. I hope it ends up being so good to develop for that there are lots of apps. But there is no reason to think at launch or even near launch there will be even as many QNX apps as there are traditional BB OS apps.

I guess I'm just hoping that's the case. Because there are a lot of new apps that just aren't made for BlackBerry and I'm not sure why.

Not gaming apps. Travel apps and passwords apps.

09-13-11 10:57 AM
    You might like to go onto www.tipb.com and search for iOS 5 or for that matter Apple and read about the new notifications that they are coming out with on the new iPhone 5 which by the way they took from your Android...Same thing dragging your finger from the top to the bottom and open an entire pain of notifications which are cool and another reason I mentioned that when the apple stote opens next month where I live I might get one from there to learn more about it as well as my 9930 for business.

give it a read and see what you think along with the iCloud.
    My dad is getting the iPhone 5 upon release so I'll definitely check it out then. I really like the Android pull down tray a lot. However, the LED light is crap.

I also miss the message unread number counter from BlackBerry.

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-13-11 at 12:41 PM.
    09-13-11 10:59 AM
    My RR is getting the iPhone 5 upon release so I'll definitely check it out then. I really like the Android pull down tray a lot. However, the LED light is crap.

I also miss the message unread number counter from BlackBerry.

If you are referring to what you lack on the light and number from the BB compared to your Android many people don't like this but of course you gain that back witht he BB 9930 since you are on VZW and will getthat on the new iPhone 5 with the new notification pain. On Apple it has a video on how it works which you will like as well as the iCloud but for me...Strictly a play at home device. My heart is with my new BB and if you get a day to go play with it where you are you will see what I am talking about.
    09-13-11 11:19 AM
    Don't get me wrong I love my new 9930. My favorite phone ever.. But if Apple ever made a device with a keyboard half as good as the one on the new bold I'd switch in a nano second. Keyboards are that important to me.

09-13-11 11:33 AM
    Well I went from a Windows phone to a BB and used BB for years, then switched to Iphone 3gs didn't like that I couldn't customize it. Switched to Droid on Verizon and way to many issues with it. When it worked it was good, but had way to many software issues for me, plus stopped getting updates. Decided to go back to BB because BB does so many of the things I need right. Email, texting, BBM, etc. I didn't realize how many of the little features BB did that those other entertainment devices didn't do. Heck I didn't use have the stuff the phones could do and if I did I was constantly charging the darn phone.

Got a BB 9930 and this is the BB I have always wanted. big keyboard, touch screen, and fast.

I'm glad I have come back to BB. I did miss it, and I'm here to stay. My wife is going to switch from android back to BB and I have had several folks at work doing the same.
    09-13-11 11:48 AM
    I guess I'm just hoping that's the case. Because there are a lot of new apps that just aren't made for BlackBerry and I'm not sure why.

Not gaming apps. Travel apps and passwords apps.

There is a delta app on my 9810.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-13-11 12:02 PM
    I made the jump from a top of the line android phone (t-mobile G2X) to the 9930 on Verizon and couldn't be happier. Yes the Android phone had more apps but when it comes down to it blackberry is just better.

Even the tiny 1230 mAh battery on this thing easily gets me through the day and then some. Where as I had to have a 3500 mAh battery on my G2X to make it through the day. That alone makes this phone better IMO.
    southlander likes this.
    09-13-11 12:18 PM
    The thing I like most about my Android Is the big screen for browsing. I like the apps too. So, for me, probably a Android tab would cover that.

I like BlackBerry for the other things.
    09-13-11 12:43 PM
    One of the main reasons I don't have an Android phone is pretty much the entire phone will work without paying a cell phone bill. If you want you can even use google voice and a handy dandy work around to have unlimited free voip calling to any number you want as long as you have a wifi connection. Several people I know now keep a deactivated Android phone for use as a free home phone.

I personally see no reason to pay that much money just so I can use a Android out side of my house. I personally would rather pay for a BB and still be able to use everything Android has to offer while I'm at home and with no monthly fee.

If it was reversed and my deactivated BB on wifi only could do every single thing a activated BB can do I would feel the same exact way and I would get a phone with mobile hotspot and have the best of both worlds for the same monthly fee. Activated Android phones are kind of a rip off once you look at it like that. Your paying a $99+ monthly fee for one phone when you could have 2 for the same price + the cost of mobile hotspot.

Even if you don't need your Android as an actual phone you still get everything except sms and voice calling. So one deactivated Android + one activated BB is still by far the better option. You get the great battery life and communications of a BB and all of the entertainment features of an Android all for the same monthly fee as just one Android. The same can be said for a ipod touch, I don't understand why anyone buys a iphone when they could have a ipod and some other phone platform.
    09-13-11 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD