well it look like Blackberry shot them self in the foot again with not putting hotspot in there phone ( and nobody tell me that it is carrier choice cause every android phone has it now on all the network!!!) i just find them plain stupid for doing that and i am sure they will lose many more smartphone user with that

who is with me
    08-09-11 06:41 PM
    not me i've waited 8 long as$ months for this phone and just because it doesnt have 1 feature doesnt mean im gonna just leave
    08-09-11 06:42 PM
    Never used hotspot on my Thunderbolt even when the promotion made it free. Not to mention I drained the battery from full to dead in about 3 hours.

So really, I could care less.
    08-09-11 06:42 PM
    No way who cares. It will be added later probably.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 06:43 PM
    I really wanted a hotspot but that is not stopping me.
    08-09-11 06:46 PM

tons of people care! with wifi hotspot you can give your PB a much faster connection than the very much limited BT connection they have now. It opens up a great deal of flexability for tons of people. just because you dont value a feature doesnt mean others dont.
    08-09-11 06:48 PM
    If it doesn't have hotspot... that's a let down.

My 1yr old Dell Streak has mobile hotspot!
    08-09-11 06:52 PM

It will be added later? Gotta love the blind faith that people have for RIM particulalry when there is absolutely no proof that RIM will add anything later to this phone; RIM's ability to deliver anything remotely on time is non-existant at best so to expect an update, such as what you have suggested, during the life of the phone is unlikely. Hotspot, for a brand new device, released in 2011, should have been a given. And the fact that it is not is rather shortsighted on the part of RIM.
    08-09-11 06:56 PM
    Bad it's not there. Funnily enough it's on the specs of that english reviewers blog (Tracey & Matt). I'll still buy - in fact I already have - but it's going to cost me another $20 a month for a mifi that I wouldn't need.
    munizv likes this.
    08-09-11 07:17 PM
    well it look like Blackberry shot them self in the foot again with not putting hotspot in there phone ( and nobody tell me that it is carrier choice cause every android phone has it now on all the network!!!) i just find them plain stupid for doing that and i am sure they will lose many more smartphone user with that

who is with me
    If I were to take a page out the book the apes have been using to sling dung at me for my criticism of the flagship RIM device using an EDOF camera...
    ...I would tell you you to just go out and buy a wifi hotspot.

As it stands I take my beatings with honor and while I've never found a need for having my own hotspot...
    ...If it's something you need or want I'm sorry RIM opted not to give it to you.

In my view perhaps its less of RIM not wanting to put it into their new flagship...
    ...And more of them not being able to have tech like that work with their devices?
    ...It might be too high tech for a current RIM device.
    08-09-11 07:18 PM
    I going to get it regardless, don't know if I would use hotspot anyway, I have a 4G myfi.
    08-09-11 07:19 PM
    08-09-11 07:30 PM
    Bell will have it !

Check the last line on the picture

*WiFi Hotspot functionality will be available via software update post launch

Bell to release the BlackBerry Torch 9860 August 22nd | BlackBerry Empire
    08-09-11 07:32 PM
    Bell will have it !

Argh! I hope Rogers will get it! I'm not going to buy it otherwise!

Oh crap. Too late. I already bought one.
    08-09-11 07:37 PM
    Bell will have it !

How kosher is that picture? They called the Bold a 9990!
    08-09-11 07:39 PM
    the mobile hotspot is the coolest thing since sliced bread for some people. and with all the android and iphones sporting it, i am betting this phone will have it on most carriers.
    08-09-11 09:09 PM
    So can anyone with the Rogers version please look thoroughly through the settings and tell us jealous/unlucky people if it has the hotspot enabled or not??
    08-09-11 09:46 PM
    So can anyone with the Rogers version please look thoroughly through the settings and tell us jealous/unlucky people if it has the hotspot enabled or not??
    SO far Not on my 9900
    DukeL likes this.
    08-09-11 09:51 PM
    Argh! I hope Rogers will get it! I'm not going to buy it otherwise!

Oh crap. Too late. I already bought one.
    I don't think its carrier dependent whether to enable the feature or not, I think its RIM who will add to the next software update because they did say the 9900 will have this feature in the past but I do believe carriers will have the power whether to charge a seperate charge or consider it as part of tethering. And hopefully Rogers don't be greedy here although I don't see why since its not a seperate charge on android phones and the iPhone 4.

08-09-11 09:59 PM
    I am shocked and appalled by the ignorance and general stupidity that has been cropping up on the forums prior to the release of the 9900 on multiple carriers. People need to do their homework before bashing RIM. Carriers, ultimately, will have the final say so on what is enabled, and what is not enabled, including any hotspot feature.

It is like the person that was blaming RIM because carriers were charging to use the bridge browser (like they do tethering for regular phones). Do not get mad at RIM, get mad at the carriers. First and foremost, educate yourself before you go on some rant blaming RIM because either the feature you wanted is not enabled on the phone, or the phone is not being released when you think it should be. Why not call the wireless carriers and and gripe and not direct so much anger at RIM.

Or even better, if you are going to whine about something, just find another phone to purchase. People come on here and start that, "If it doesn't do this I'm getting an iPhone or an Android device." Then do that. We don't need a play by play guide on what you are going to do if you don't get what you want.
    08-09-11 10:04 PM
    Ok, so it needs a software update, that's cool. You guys think ATT will let you get away with using that free? Gee, I wonder what they will be doing with the extra time they had/have???

I swear if I turn that sucker on and see a pacman icon or ATT shopping bag, or missing features then I will be lookin day and night for something else.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-09-11 at 10:19 PM.
    08-09-11 10:15 PM
    Ok, so it needs a software update, that's cool. You guys think ATT will let you get away with using that free? Gee, I wonder what they will be doing with the extra time they had/have???

Not a chance. Att dosent allow u to tether for free on any att branded device. Possible via a 3rd party(yet to be released app) or with a imported device.
    08-09-11 10:18 PM
    Not a chance. Att dosent allow u to tether for free on any att branded device. Possible via a 3rd party(yet to be released app) or with a imported device.
    And this includes an unlocked att device using some sort of hybrid?

08-09-11 10:22 PM
    And this includes an unlocked att device using some sort of hybrid?

Please specify hybrid? Unlocking at&t devices makes no difference whether or not att will charge u for hotspot however on some devices that at&t dosent offer you can utilize the manufacturers built in hotspot functionality likewise there are third party apps that provide wifi hotspot on jailbroken iphones and rooted androids.
    08-09-11 10:29 PM
    I'm glad we got that out of the way.

08-09-11 10:38 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD