If it comes out for tmobile then I'm just going to buy it then unlock it. No need to switch carriers and do all that stuff

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You won't get 3G if you do that.
    07-14-11 08:24 AM
    I know they helped to develop the Torch but you would think that they would want to get the device out that more customers want and the one that will make them the most money. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems to me like there will be a large gap between sales of the 9900 and the T2. I'm sure the T2 will be nice but this seems like a mistake by att.
    The Torch did pretty well on AT&T and is geared more towards a consumer rather than the Enterprise. AT&T knows Enterprise doesn't have to have the absolute newest device. Their thinking is the 9810 could potentially sell more than the 9900.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    07-14-11 08:26 AM
    Yeah I know I won't get 3G but I've unlock soooo many phones for my friends who have att and got tmobile blackberry phones that they like and they were telling me its pretty much the same thing. I mean ill have internet, email, bbm, and texting everything I need. Plus not to mention the phone I want. I probably get it unlock it, sell it after it reallyt comes out for att lol. I NEED / WANT THAT PHONE

07-14-11 09:16 AM
    [SARCASM]AT&T is going to keep the 9900 in testing for a few more months because RIM just dumped it in there laps like the Bridge Software. They will then release it after figuring out how they can charge you more because of some new feature it has.[/SARCASM]

I can't believe RIM gave those clowns exclusivity on that form factor in the US!
    07-14-11 09:22 AM
    The Torch did pretty well on AT&T and is geared more towards a consumer rather than the Enterprise. AT&T knows Enterprise doesn't have to have the absolute newest device. Their thinking is the 9810 could potentially sell more than the 9900.
    A couple of thoughts on this...

First, look at what other BB's were out for the first Torch to compete against; there really was nothing close to it, at least not in the way the 9900 compares to the T2.

Second, I think there are a lot more buyers like me out there who still can't decide if we want the T2 or the 9900. Seems to me at&t will have a much better chance of making a sale and keeping me as a customer if they have more of what I'm likely to buy. If that makes any sense. If anything, the iPhone is more likely to take sales away from the T2 than from the 9900, and vice-versa; I really think they'd maximize sales opportunities with he 9900 opposite the iPhone rather than the T2.

at&t seems to keep coming up with new and creative ways to make me want to go to another carrier.

07-14-11 09:28 AM
    Yes but I wonder how many Torch 1 owners will upgrade to the T2?

I really wanted to see both the 9900 and T2 before making my decision to update my T1. I guess I would have to wait even longer. I just don't see too many new customers coming in buying the T2 since it looks almost exactly like the T1 - unless RIM marketing steps up their game.

-Rich

07-14-11 09:29 AM
    A couple of thoughts on this...

First, look at what other BB's were out for the first Torch to compete against; there really was nothing close to it, at least not in the way the 9900 compares to the T2.

Second, I think there are a lot more buyers like me out there who still can't decide if we want the T2 or the 9900. Seems to me at&t will have a much better chance of making a sale and keeping me as a customer if they have more of what I'm likely to buy. If that makes any sense. If anything, the iPhone is more likely to take sales away from the T2 than from the 9900, and vice-versa; I really think they'd maximize sales opportunities with he 9900 opposite the iPhone rather than the T2.

at&t seems to keep coming up with new and creative ways to make me want to go to another carrier.

I disagree with the thinking. I think you release the 9810 before the new iPhone because it's most like said iPhone in comparison to the 9900. Let it sell before the new i5 because if it goes head to head it will surely not win.
    Then you release the 9900 which will come out roughly the same time as the i5 and with them being completely different form factors, I think the 9900 still has a chance to do well.

This is what AT&T marketing is thinking of. Whether right or wrong, things can always change. But I do see the 9810 releasing before the 9900 for better or worse. Of course more options is always better for the consumer. They need to get both devices out quick.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    07-14-11 09:52 AM
    I disagree with the thinking. I think you release the 9810 before the new iPhone because it's most like said iPhone in comparison to the 9900. Let it sell before the new i5 because if it goes head to head it will surely not win.
    Then you release the 9900 which will come out roughly the same time as the i5 and with them being completely different form factors, I think the 9900 still has a chance to do well.

This is what AT&T marketing is thinking of. Whether right or wrong, things can always change. But I do see the 9810 releasing before the 9900 for better or worse. Of course more options is always better for the consumer. They need to get both devices out quick.

It is a good Marketing strategy on AT&T's front.
    Though I expect people who really want the 9900 and are ready for it now will just buy an unlocked version since all 3 Carriers in Canada will have the same bands as AT&T and have launched the 9900 well before November.
    07-14-11 10:02 AM
    I disagree with the thinking. I think you release the 9810 before the new iPhone because it's most like said iPhone in comparison to the 9900. Let it sell before the new i5 becausek if it goes head to head it will surely not win.

Ok, if that's the timing of things, I kind of see it. I still think it would be better for them to release the 9900 around the same time as other carriers. Unless they feel there just isn't much of a risk of customers leaving due to the (un)availability of a BlackBerry phone.

07-14-11 10:24 AM

The problem with that logic is someone who does want the 9900 is going to have to wait until the i5 is already launched and BB OS 7 has already been around for a couple of months. They may decide to forsake the keyboard for iOS. In this case more options are better for RIM, not just the consumer.
    07-14-11 10:47 AM
    people who really want the 9900 and are ready for it now will just buy an unlocked version since all 3 Carriers in Canada will have the same bands as AT&T and have launched the 9900 well before November.
    Bingo. Thanks my plan, although I would rather not have to pay such a markup.

07-14-11 12:26 PM
    The problem with that logic is someone who does want the 9900 is going to have to wait until the i5 is already launched and BB OS 7 has already been around for a couple of months. They may decide to forsake the keyboard for iOS. In this case more options are better for RIM, not just the consumer.
    Thank you - that's half of my point. The other side of it is, if customers really want the keyboard but don't want a slider, there's a possibility that they'll go get a 9900 or 9930 from another carrier. I'm having trouble grasping why any carrier would intentionally withhold what's likely to be a fairly popular product, especially if its competitors will have it sooner. The exclusivity of the Torch 2 only carries so much leverage. Unless of course it's RIM pushing for the delay in order to maximize T2 sales ... the way they've been doing things lately, that wouldn't surprise me, either.

07-14-11 12:45 PM
    I really think those that want an iPhone 5 are not the people who want the 9900

The 98XX users are the cross over users and a handful of flip floppers, but there is a distinctly different market for 9900 buyers and iPhone 5 buyers, and AT&T might be banking on the spread of sales across 2 quarters by stagering 3 releases. 9810 iPhone 5, 9900

07-14-11 12:59 PM
    I really think those that want an iPhone 5 are not the people who want the 9900

The 98XX users are the cross over users and a handful of flip floppers, but there is a distinctly different market for 9900 buyers and iPhone 5 buyers, and AT&T might be banking on the spread of sales across 2 quarters by stagering 3 releases. 9810 iPhone 5, 9900

There are people (including myself) who would stick with RIM just because of the 9900's keyboard but who have no interest in an other RIM product such as the Torch. If I can't get the 9900 until November I will be switching to the iPhone 5.
    07-14-11 01:22 PM
    This would be the event that would push me to leave AT&T. When the 9900 is out, I will go to the carrier that has it....period. Don't force "apples" on someone when they really only want an orange! lol.... That said, I don't buy the marketing timing technique. People are not stupid and fickle enough to buy something only because it's the only option out there. Some will either wait it out or move to another carrier. It would be in their best interests to increase their offerings. They will capture/keep more customers this way. I'm sure a cost/benefit analysis, if done properly and factoring in all scenarios, would support this!
    07-14-11 01:56 PM
    I'm glad I don't have to deal with at&t, from all I'm reading on these boards lately, i'm surprised it's even still in business, sounds to me like a horrible, horrible company LOL.
    07-14-11 03:37 PM
    I'm glad I don't have to deal with at&t, from all I'm reading on these boards lately, i'm surprised it's even still in business, sounds to me like a horrible, horrible company LOL.
    I have found them easier to deal with than Verizon was. They have roll-over minutes. Their phones are all GSM based and can be used all over the world, in fact I can buy an unbranded phone from Europe (or Canada) and use it on the AT&T network.

T-Mobile is also GSM but they have a crappy network and will be part of AT&T soon anyway.
    07-14-11 03:51 PM
    Like ADGrant I have not had any problems with att either. I'm actually happy with them- except for this November launch rumor of course!
    07-14-11 04:28 PM
    Like ADGrant I have not had any problems with att either. I'm actually happy with them- except for this November launch rumor of course!
    Well, that's the horrible part I'm talking about, that and the Bridge for Playbook fiasco. It just doesn't seem right..
    07-14-11 04:32 PM
    People who hate tend to get more vocal than those who are not haters. AT&T is HUGE so you tend to get more haters posting here. We have heard our share of complaints about Bell, they all get complained about.

It is human nature
    07-14-11 04:48 PM
    Not that I know anything, but why would AT&T delay the the launch for so long when their competitors have it released and so many eligible two year upgraders patiently waiting for the 9900 who could easily jump to another carrier. It puts them at a major disadvantage.
    A November launch will put everyone who bought the Torch 9800 in April 2010 within the window for an early upgrade.
    07-14-11 05:02 PM
    The 9900 delay maybe a rumor but AT&T being a joke is a fact!
    07-14-11 05:03 PM
    A November launch will put everyone who bought the Torch 9800 in April 2010 within the window for an early upgrade.
    The torch came out August 12.

If this is true, itll definitely make me feel even better about my decision to go to Verizon. I know a lot of people who wanted to compare torch 2 to 9900 before making a decision.
    07-14-11 06:26 PM
    In case others missed it, I was told that tmobile will be first and its getting close :-)
    07-14-11 06:26 PM
    In case others missed it, I was told that tmobile will be first and its getting close :-)
    Where did you hear that?

07-14-11 07:28 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD