I was looking into the whole NFC thing and came across this article about the poor implementation of NFC in the 9900/9930. I am not that surprised at RIM for not getting NFC up to standards. However, I do like at the bottom of the article it says all the issues could be fixed via a software update.

BlackBerry Bold NFCGate: NFC experience very poor [EXCLUSIVE] NFC Rumors
    08-15-11 08:55 PM
    What is that, like the Perez Hilton of the NFC community???

I find it hard to believe that AT&T gives 2 sh!ts about the success/failure of the NFC world, to the extent of blocking it for the sake of 'first impressions' - if they ARE blocking it, it's a liability issue for them (in that, if it's NOT as secure as it should be, for whatever reason, then AT&T's legal team may be protecting itself from any 'guilty by association' cases)...

But hey, making AT&T sound like the 'good guy' is probably better journalism...lmao

Interesting find, nonetheless...
    08-15-11 09:01 PM
    It's not about the security of the transactions. NFC is secure and is currently used in many credit cards today. It's the same old story with ATT trying to get their cut. There has been an ongoing battle between cell carriers (mainly ATT) and the banks for some time now that has delayed the NFC cell phone payment availability in the US. ATT wants to get a fee every time you use your phone to make a purchase the same as the bank gets a fee when you use a credit card or debit card. This argument predates any mention of Blackberrys with NFC. Their argument is that they have to transfer the data across their network to complete the transaction, therefore deserve to be compensated. Similar to the BB Bridge app, they have a way to make money from someone else's technology that they didn't contribute to and will do so because they can get away with it. When NFC takes off they will undoubtedly release an ATT NFC app and bill the cust accordingly.
    08-15-11 09:49 PM
    You should google ISIS, supposed to be a consortium of carriers and credit card companies trying to streamline NFC.
    08-16-11 12:17 AM
    AT&T or any US cellular carrier should have no grounds to claim costs associated with transmitting data as their excuse for a simple reason. We are required to get a data plan so we are already paying for the transmission of data. Regardless of it going to cnn or a transmission to chase bank.
    08-16-11 12:43 PM
    How can you poorly implement a technology that has no core user base yet and current world applications are so scarce the average user cant even use this new feature yet?

Its there so they can be a leader when this goes mainstream in the coming years. IMO
    08-16-11 01:13 PM
    AT&T or any US cellular carrier should have no grounds to claim costs associated with transmitting data as their excuse for a simple reason. We are required to get a data plan so we are already paying for the transmission of data. Regardless of it going to cnn or a transmission to chase bank.
    The phone is not doing ANYTHING. The card reader is the one doing the transaction. The antenna is only accessing your information ie CC # that is stored on your phone.

As for charging. If they try to charge me than I will ask them to kindly charge me for my wifi usage AND especially for my bluetooth connection to my car. Makes about as much sense.
    08-16-11 01:33 PM
    How can you poorly implement a technology that has no core user base yet and current world applications are so scarce the average user cant even use this new feature yet?

Its there so they can be a leader when this goes mainstream in the coming years. IMO
    If Chase blink is the NFC than every gas station I go to has the technology both inside and OUTSIDE the store.

Target also has them.
    08-16-11 01:35 PM
    Most major credit card companies are slowly, (some faster than others) to implement NFC on all their cards, banks are starting to do this as well.
    08-16-11 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD