Here's an article that, for the first time, gets me excited about NFC! It would be awesome to be able to read product information through NFC. Make sure the product is authentic, have alerts for special deals and even view specifications for a product when nearby. I know it doesn't exist yet, but there's no reason it cant/wont exist in the very near future. Fingers crossed in hopes it does...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/inside-secure-announces-nfc-chips-to-help-distinguish-knockoffs/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 01:05 AM
    I was told today that there are already things like NFC speakers out there. You use the NFC to pair it up then you're good to go. I haven't researched it myself yet but it sounds good. I love the idea of NFC. I first used it in Hong Kong 10 years ago using a transit card. Then I forgot about it. It will be awesome when it gets big. One day we will be able to get rid of our wallets.

11-15-11 01:11 AM
    I wish I could turn on NFC on my 9900 from AT&T seeing as how they unfortunately found joy in blocking it. I have an NFC gate card to get in and around my apartment's facilities, would be cool to ditch the card and just use my cell phone.

11-15-11 01:13 AM
    Ahh, I've printed out a generated QR code, (used Google). Turned on my NFC and placed my 9900 on top of the printed QR code, with WiFi on as well. But nothing seems to happen. I've seen the video of how the NFC works but mine just wont do the same. LOL

Anyone wanna share more info on how to use this? Thanks!
    11-15-11 02:17 AM
    Ahh, I've printed out a generated QR code, (used Google). Turned on my NFC and placed my 9900 on top of the printed QR code, with WiFi on as well. But nothing seems to happen. I've seen the video of how the NFC works but mine just wont do the same. LOL

Anyone wanna share more info on how to use this? Thanks!
    I think you need to download a QR code scanner to get your phone to read the QR code. For NFC, the object you're scanning needs to be chipped with the technology I believe.
    anon(749368) likes this.
    11-15-11 03:14 AM
    I do not think the 9900 will ever see NFC with AT&T.
    11-15-11 05:16 AM
    I sincerely hope you're wrong! It's not that it will be of any serious use for me, I just think it would be neat to have.
    11-15-11 08:55 AM
    I think not for awhile, but in the long run they're looking for a piece of the NFC payment pie and won't enable until they figure out how to get some fees for themselves.
    11-15-11 11:43 AM
    Did everyone catch that the BB Bold 9900/30 and Curve 9350/60/70 are the first smartphones "certified" by MasterCard to use NFC with the MasterCard PayPass system?
    11-15-11 11:47 AM
    I was at some department store the other day (forget which one) and at every checkout counter they had an NFC enabled "Google Wallet" branded payment system. Can we somehow take advantage of this??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-15-11 11:52 AM
    I was at some department store the other day (forget which one) and at every checkout counter they had an NFC enabled "Google Wallet" branded payment system. Can we somehow take advantage of this??

Before a wallet app can be used on a device, it needs to work with the secure element (embedded, or SIM) you have in your device.
    The backbone system the wallet is using should also support the smart phone you are using.
    In addition, the financial institutes which can send your "credit card" to the secure element in your device also should support the smart phone you have.

There are many pieces of the puzzle that needs to be put together before you can use your device for payment.
    NFC is a great technology ans it looks like that RIM has positioned itself nicely to allow its customers to use it for cool stuff.
    11-15-11 01:40 PM
    RBC Royal Bank Canada is planing this close to END of 2014. Which is like far far away. I even sent a complain email to them.
    11-15-11 01:56 PM
    I think you need to download a QR code scanner to get your phone to read the QR code. For NFC, the object you're scanning needs to be chipped with the technology I believe.
    Ahhh thanks. No worries about the QR codes scanner. But for the NFC, I didnt know that the code itself has to have a chip in it for the phone to recognize it. LOL dumb me
    11-16-11 12:37 AM
    Ahhh thanks. No worries about the QR codes scanner. But for the NFC, I didnt know that the code itself has to have a chip in it for the phone to recognize it. LOL dumb me

You do not need an app to scan QR codes, well at least not a dedicated one. Just open App World, hit the BB key and select "Scan a Barcode".

11-16-11 01:43 AM
    You do not need an app to scan QR codes, well at least not a dedicated one. Just open App World, hit the BB key and select "Scan a Barcode".

Yup, that I know. I was asking about the NFC, thanks though.
    11-16-11 03:20 AM
    I am aware that you can buy the NFC RFID tags to then use with your BB using NFC launcher and such like...

my question is, lots of shops use these type of tags for security purposes, they disable them when you pay but generally leave them on the product... does anyone know if we can use these instead of having to purchase new one each time?
    11-16-11 07:25 AM
    I am aware that you can buy the NFC RFID tags to then use with your BB using NFC launcher and such like...

my question is, lots of shops use these type of tags for security purposes, they disable them when you pay but generally leave them on the product... does anyone know if we can use these instead of having to purchase new one each time?
    Most of the tags on the products are RfID tags. RFID works on many different frequecies and most of them (specially the ones used in stores against shoplifting) has +1 meter range (they should be detected by readers at the exit doors).

RFID tags can't be read by NFC reader chips (like the one in BBs).

Tags in other systems could however be used.

For example, one NFCLauncher fan found out that some hotel room keys are actually Mifare ultralight tags, and he successfully reprogrammed those with NFCLauncher. Usually hotels don't care about the cards after the guest is leaving because they disable the key in their backend system.
    11-16-11 07:43 AM
    Thank for the response Vijik, very useful...

Anyone else managed to find compatible tags that can be reused...

Looking to test some things with NFClauncher and shortcutme prior to going out and buying loads of Mifare ultralight Tags...
    11-16-11 08:02 AM
    you can use the barcode scanner in BBM to scan QR codes.
    01-04-12 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD