How do you use an NFC chip/antenna to scan a QR/barcode? A barcode visual and the NFC is not.
    They have to put a nfc chip in the card, which is the problem. You can't just use a NFC card right now, it'd be worthless for that type of info.

It basically has to take over QR codes, while maintaining backwards compatibility for a long time anyways.

If you have a pure nfc card for your info, it's useless right now. 99% of people can't use it. QR codes didn't actually massively take off in the first place, so for now you have to use both.
    08-04-11 02:47 PM
    I said this before somewhere in crackberry forums... but I can't find it so,
    The Japanese already have a system where you get a card and when you get close to a subway station door, it automatically opens and riding fee will be charged to your account.
    The issue is they could have done this years ago, without phones having NFC. But it didn't happen and it was not mass adopted.

So it stands to reason that smartphone + NFC could end up the same.

Keep in mind that a lot of the major cities in the US can't even manage to standardize public transport payments from one system to another. This is 1000000x the roadblock that needs to be fixed prior to NFC even mattering for stuff like this. Japan/Europe this is not.
    Last edited by papped; 08-04-11 at 02:53 PM.
    08-04-11 02:49 PM
    I said this before somewhere in crackberry forums... but I can't find it so,
    The Japanese already have a system where you get a card and when you get close to a subway station door, it automatically opens and riding fee will be charged to your account.

Parking lots and highways that require you to pay can implement this.

Hospitals, banks and government agencies can use this NFC to open doors...

How about device to device data transfer similar to Bluetooth?

Also, schools and libraries can implement this to keep track on who took home which book or lab materials.

There are so many other possibilities out there. I hope NFC get popular because if most phone companies don't come up with it, it will be doomed.
    I don't like systems like easy pass because it's an invasion of privacy in my opinion. Every time you use easy pass or a similar system it will be stored as future evidence in your prosecution. What if I'm detained and they asked where was I on a certain date. They could use easy pass and similar systems as evidence to convict me of perjury even if I beat the original case that I was charged with. Anonymity is important to me. Anonymity is vital to the survival of a free society.
    Last edited by blue81to; 08-04-11 at 03:01 PM.
    08-04-11 02:57 PM
    Fixed lol

This is the exact reason that I want NFC. Just in case you loose your wallet and really really need gas, this tech would be a life saver.

And getting in and out of your car while refueling (causing static electricity) cause explosions not mobile phones. But I see your point the decals are still there (along with the static electricity decals).
    Mythbusters already debunked the theory of cell phone static electricity causing explosions. I don't know why they still have the decals.
    08-04-11 03:00 PM
    Also, US school systems + libraries upgrading to NFC systems?

In states like California it simply won't happen other than a few select private schools if at all (which defeats the purpose of widespread adoption + universal use), etc. There's no money, the entire system is broke.
    08-04-11 03:01 PM
    Mythbusters already debunked the theory of cell phone static electricity causing explosions. I don't know why they still have the decals.
    I know. That is why I was talking about Static Electricity causing gas station fires. Different issue all together.

Do you want a serious answer or a quick answer on why they do not change the decals? People do not read them anyway.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-04-11 at 03:13 PM.
    08-04-11 03:07 PM
    Also, US school systems + libraries upgrading to NFC systems?

In states like California it simply won't happen other than a few select private schools if at all (which defeats the purpose of widespread adoption + universal use), etc. There's no money, the entire system is broke.
    But when it comes to upgrade/fix their HID card system (or other current system) they will figure out which is cheaper to do.

It is like light bulbs. Is it cheaper to replace an expensive light bulb EVERY DAMN time it burns out OR is it cheaper to replace the entire fixture (LED) which does not have bulbs that would burn out.

Sometime companies/institutions have to look out breakeven analysis instead of constantly fixing outdated/broken systems.
    08-04-11 03:11 PM
    But when it comes to upgrade/fix their HID card system (or other current system) they will figure out which is cheaper to do.

It is like light bulbs. Is it cheaper to replace an expensive light bulb EVERY DAMN time it burns out OR is it cheaper to replace the entire fixture (LED) which does not have bulbs that would burn out.

Sometime companies/institutions have to look out breakeven analysis instead of constantly fixing outdated/broken systems.
    Fixing an existing system is often cheaper per occurrence (or multiple occurrences) than upgrading to, training and implementing an entirely new system.

Even if the cost savings is better long term for the new system, the fix/maintain IS what usually happens. Especially when you are talking about crap like schools, libraries and public transit.... These are not tech companies and corporations.

People are looking at the possibilities and saying "look, it's better, therefore it will be adopted and succeed". Except that there are all kinds of logistical reasons not related to the tech itself that will roadblock it.
    08-04-11 03:13 PM
    Fixing an existing system is often cheaper per occurrence (or multiple occurrences) than upgrading to, training and implementing an entirely new system.

Even if the cost savings is better long term for the new system, the fix/maintain IS what usually happens. Especially when you are talking about crap like schools, libraries and public transit.... These are not tech companies and corporations.

People are looking at the possibilities and saying "look, it's better, therefore it will be adopted and succeed". Except that there are all kinds of logistical reasons not related to the tech itself that will roadblock it.
    I would imagine it all depends on what systems are involved.

Of course since these aren't tech companies they usually bring in computer consultants that often mess everything up. Usually bringing along with them all types of questions on what the system does that have nothing to do with what needs to be accomplished. Then you loose a sale because they think we are wrong. Just some fun times when those calls come in.
    08-04-11 03:23 PM
    I don't like systems like easy pass because it's an invasion of privacy in my opinion. Every time you use easy pass or a similar system it will be stored as future evidence in your prosecution. What if I'm detained and they asked where was I on a certain date. They could use easy pass and similar systems as evidence to convict me of perjury even if I beat the original case that I was charged with. Anonymity is important to me. Anonymity is vital to the survival of a free society.
    Yet you carry a cellphone? that uses triangulation between towers while you travel.

do you also not use credit cards? and debit cards as they track your purchasing patterns? nor a GM car with OnStar.
    08-04-11 04:25 PM
    Yet you carry a cellphone? that uses triangulation between towers while you travel.

do you also not use credit cards? and debit cards as they track your purchasing patterns? nor a GM car with OnStar.
    You made some good points.

I would never buy a GM car with OnStar. What if you get in an accident? They will know where and when it happened even if you fixed the car before the police confiscate it for evidence. OnStar is an omnipresent witness for the prosecution.

I can't afford a cellphone at the moment but when I can I'm getting a prepaid. You don't have to use your real name.

Using NFC like a credit or debit card doesn't seem like an incursion on privacy any more so than using an actual credit or debit card. So in those instances I would be ok with it.
    08-04-11 07:19 PM
    You made some good points.

I would never buy a GM car with OnStar. What if you get in an accident? They will know where and when it happened even if you fixed the car before the police confiscate it for evidence. OnStar is an omnipresent witness for the prosecution.
    I am sorry but this is too funny NOT to laugh at.

Cars have blackboxes so everything is known what was going on during and before an accident. How fast was this person going before they slammed on the brakes and skidded, blah, blah, blah.

Whether it is onstar or not the car knows.

Technology is fun. There was a device developed for retail refueling of vehicles that never made it to the main stream. Since cars (newer ones) have charcoal canisters on board to help reduce vapors while refueling. A company developed a way for the nozzle to detect if a vehicle had a charcoal canister. If a canister was detected the dispenser (pump) would turn teh vapor pump off so that the charcoal canister can do its job. If no canister was detected the vapor pump would pull the gasoline vapors out of the car and back into the gas stations tanks.

Big reason was because of big brother.

Nevermind the fact that insurance companies love it because if a car was stole authorities would know where the car refueled if it did.

They do use this technology but it is fuel fleets and not retail gas stations.

We are being tracked it is fact of life. I have nothing to hide so I don't care and I know the government probably has my name on file because I have college roomates that went through security clearances so therefore they know **** but I don't care.

**** the secret services knows everyone jogging in a park that the president jogs in. And they would know people by name even though they are private citizens.

No stealing credit card info is another story.
    08-04-11 07:59 PM
    The larger security concern would be that most phones do not have a system like blackberry passwords and preventing all NFC payments likely would not be as simple as canceling a credit card...

You wouldn't even have the same level of verification that you would with a credit card/debit purchase...

Blackberries would be ok if you set a password, if not you're screwed. Most other platforms would also be screwed.
    08-04-11 08:31 PM
    Can someone detect your NFC whether or not you have the feature enabled or not through software settings?
    08-04-11 11:41 PM
    I have just got the BB 9900 on Vodafone. Can NFC be setup to scan my door card so I can use it to access my office?

I have had a little play with it but can't figure it out... seems pretty pointless function on the phone at the moment.

Cheers
    Hippers
    09-12-11 06:31 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD