This technology should be useable in Canada pretty soon.

Enstream is a jv of Rogers, Bell, and Telus to facilitate enabling mobile phones to do any "tap and pay" transaction.

I saw a presentation in Ottawa this week, and it looks like they are pretty close to launching, and enabling the NFC in the new RIM devices was a key part of what they are trying to do.

EnStream | We Make Money Mobile
    09-21-11 08:37 AM
    Good luck getting smaller merchants to install NFC capable payment terminals. Those are VERY expensive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Um.... Pretty near every debit machine I see now-a-days has nfc capabilities... Up here in Canada they do anyway... Not sure what you're talking about.

09-21-11 08:40 AM
    I think instead of RIM waiting for payment options using NFC, they should do something that is in their control.

they should use NFC to add BBM contacts, add people to your contact list, share files..

dunno if NFC has that sorta capability but i don't see why not..

unless their are different sensors for input and output (incoming code from the TAG and receiving the code into the antenna/phone) is it possible to have both receiving and output to the phones?

either way this would be cool and a use for us before they finalize payment options
    09-21-11 09:02 AM
    Um.... Pretty near every debit machine I see now-a-days has nfc capabilities... Up here in Canada they do anyway... Not sure what you're talking about.

that is true... but they never use it! i've used it at a petro canada at the pump and in the store.. that is all..
    09-21-11 09:03 AM

That's probably just the Mastercard pay-pass ones right? I've seen those all over Canada and Australia. They will need something to take a NFC payment from anything won't they, like American Express, Visa even having your personal bank account attached to your phone.

09-21-11 09:04 AM
    That's probably just the Mastercard pay-pass ones right? I've seen those all over Canada and Australia. They will need something to take a NFC payment from anything won't they, like American Express, Visa even having your personal bank account attached to your phone.

That looks like what Enstream is doing. Transactions up to $50 which is the current limit by the payment systems on "tap-and-go" payments.
    09-21-11 09:06 AM
    I think instead of RIM waiting for payment options using NFC, they should do something that is in their control.

they should use NFC to add BBM contacts, add people to your contact list, share files..

dunno if NFC has that sorta capability but i don't see why not..

unless their are different sensors for input and output (incoming code from the TAG and receiving the code into the antenna/phone) is it possible to have both receiving and output to the phones?

either way this would be cool and a use for us before they finalize payment options
    I believe NFC on the phone is 2-way capable Only because when I was playing around with the built in app on my Bold there was an option to "write to tag." I do not have any tags to make so I haven't tried it though.
    09-21-11 09:09 AM
    I believe NFC on the phone is 2-way capable Only because when I was playing around with the built in app on my Bold there was an option to "write to tag." I do not have any tags to make so I haven't tried it though.
    cool that's good to know... i ordered some sample tags from ... I forget but it was in the forms somewhere..

my question is how do you write to tag? would u just place it on the empty tag and it writes to it? i guess you could write anything (i.e. URL, business card info...)

argh wish i had my 9900 to check how to do it... waiting for a replacement
    09-21-11 09:19 AM

I install and maintain POS systems. The payment terminals (Ingenico and Verifone) have add on options for the PayPass type readers. No one buys them. I am talking about in the US. I work with a software company that has 10,000 installed locations with their software and *zero* of those have NFC installed.

Perfect use case. Restaurants. Cards are swiped by the servers at POS terminals that typically have basic card swipes integrated. No NFC. Yeah, you can always ask the restaurant owners to buy expensive mobile terminals that can be brought to the table for the guests to enter their payments. It's been tried with table side debit. Failed.

So make sure when you go out to eat, bring your plastic. Oh yeah. Gas pumps too. Don't forget that. Since hardly any dispensers can do NFC. Again, merchants are slow to pay to install this stuff.

PayPal is working on a solution that does not require any special equipment to be installed. That method will win the day in the US.
    Last edited by southlander; 09-21-11 at 09:24 AM.
    09-21-11 09:20 AM
    Wegman's has them. That's where I used it. I shop there a lot, so I'm pretty happy about it. I'll play around with tag writing and reading with my Nexus S and 9930 and let you know what I find out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-21-11 09:57 AM
    im scared enough of RFID. the last thing i want are my funds (which are already pretty much virtualized) to be taken to the next step.

first nixon took us off the gold standard making our dollar absolutely worthless, inflation begins, and 40yrs later after having amassed trillions of dollars in debt, our govt is beginning to lure us with the latest and greatest cell phones to "simplify our lives" by moving to a cashless society. a society where all your funds can and will be controlled by a digital device able to be tracked from anywhere at any time and remotely disabled if desired. read between the lines guys...hello NWO...
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    09-21-11 10:10 AM
    I didn't know there were so many conspiracy theorists in the CrackBerry forums.

I'm running 7.0.0.241 on my Sprint 9930 and have NFC enabled but I'm not reading anything with it. Can't pick up my smart card or the tag on my Nexus S. The Nexus S can read the smart card. Anyone know if any of the leaked OSs for the 9930 can actually read tags?
    09-21-11 11:09 AM
    If banks adopt NFC then the techology will receive wider use. The incentive for banks is the fact they won't have to mail out cards ever year or two with the consequent issues of loss and PIN number resets.

All merchants have to buy or rent terminals, and no one wants to lose out on a sale. The cost to update isn't that great. In any case merchants pay a fortune in charges and the cost can be absorbed that way.
    09-21-11 11:15 AM
    cool that's good to know... i ordered some sample tags from ... I forget but it was in the forms somewhere..

my question is how do you write to tag? would u just place it on the empty tag and it writes to it? i guess you could write anything (i.e. URL, business card info...)

argh wish i had my 9900 to check how to do it... waiting for a replacement
    I think the only thing the phone allows you to write/create is a web address but I haven't tested it yet. No tags yet (not sure the best place to buy them) but I am assuming it works just like a Mag card encoder that I have. Honestly I have no idea how that works either but we haven't had complaints but they are usually factory encoded depending on the amount of cards my customer needs.
    09-21-11 11:34 AM

So make sure when you go out to eat, bring your plastic. Oh yeah. Gas pumps too. Don't forget that. Since hardly any dispensers can do NFC. Again, merchants are slow to pay to install this stuff.
    That is the confusing and horrible part. The dispensers have card swipe but they aren't NFC but they sure look like they do.

You in Greensboro by any chance.
    09-21-11 11:38 AM
    Sure. NFC is great. I think any technology that is able to beam out unique identifiers out into the air wherever you are is the best! Now we have 2-3 Gov issued cards with RFID in our wallets, for our convenience and security of course, and now our phones can help retailers / marketers / anyone help track our movements and patterns to better serve us and make our lives easier.

What would we ever do if the Gov & Google ("do no evil", so you can trust them) didn't invest in all those awesome technologies to tell us how to live our lives, what to buy and where to type in all of our personal information (only once, of course. They're kind enough to store it for us indefinitely).
    Uh... I'm guessing you pay only in cash, huh? Otherwise your credit card and debit card have already been providing this information to the retailer, your bank, the card issuer (VISA/MC), and all of those fine folks who purchase data from those companies.

NFC doesn't add to any of this, it's a different implementation of the same payment system (still paying via credit card, but no longer have to swipe the card).
    09-21-11 11:58 AM
    Anyone seen this
    09-21-11 01:13 PM
    Anyone seen this
    Nice name *******.

AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    09-21-11 01:43 PM
    That is the confusing and horrible part. The dispensers have card swipe but they aren't NFC but they sure look like they do.

You in Greensboro by any chance.
    No not in Greensboro. Eastern NC. Right now NFC is an expensive upsell option on payment terminals. Chicken and egg. Merchants will not buy it en mass because there is so little customer demand. And banks/customers are not pushing for it because merchant acceptance is very limited.

That might change at some point here. But plastic's not dying any time soon. Like I said, even if retail places adopt it, in table service restaurants the server would have to bring a mobile device to the table. Customers certainly are not going to allow servers to take their phone back to a terminal to enter the payment (as they now do with plastic), much less give them the PIN code.
    09-21-11 02:17 PM
    im scared enough of RFID. the last thing i want are my funds (which are already pretty much virtualized) to be taken to the next step.

first nixon took us off the gold standard making our dollar absolutely worthless, inflation begins, and 40yrs later after having amassed trillions of dollars in debt, our govt is beginning to lure us with the latest and greatest cell phones to "simplify our lives" by moving to a cashless society. a society where all your funds can and will be controlled by a digital device able to be tracked from anywhere at any time and remotely disabled if desired. read between the lines guys...hello NWO...

You watch one poorly sourced discredited documentary and you think you know how the world works... good for you
    09-21-11 02:20 PM
    No not in Greensboro. Eastern NC. Right now NFC is an expensive upsell option on payment terminals. Chicken and egg. Merchants will not buy it en mass because there is so little customer demand. And banks/customers are not pushing for it because merchant acceptance is very limited.

That might change at some point here. But plastic's not dying any time soon. Like I said, even if retail places adopt it, in table service restaurants the server would have to bring a mobile device to the table. Customers certainly are not going to allow servers to take their phone back to a terminal to enter the payment (as they now do with plastic), much less give them the PIN code.
    Just a guess. A saw a couple companies that work with companies like Verifone, etc that are based or have offices in Greensboro.
    09-21-11 02:38 PM

Dude come on. You can't seriously advocate for the gold standard! Coming off the gold standard allows us to dictate what our currency is worth.

09-21-11 03:42 PM
    First tweak needed to get BlackBerry Wallet to work with NFC is to get it to work with the 99xx phones. It is currently unavailable for this device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry Wallet can be used on the 99xx series handsets.
    kbill1984 likes this.
    09-21-11 03:57 PM
    the one world government is springing up before our eyes.cashless society is being ushered in.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    luddites unite!!!!!!!
    09-21-11 04:52 PM
    Dude come on. You can't seriously advocate for the gold standard! Coming off the gold standard allows us to dictate what our currency is worth.

who is we? do you or i decide what our money is worth? the "federal" reserve (a privately owned corp) decides how much our money is worth thru the means of inflation. we use worthless paper backed by nothing (which is transitioning to virtualized credits). the US is not printing money, the federal reserve is, and it loans it to the US at interest. they decide how much money is worth, not the people.

until we were taken off the gold standard our dollars were able to be redeemed for gold - something that will be forever valuable globally.

as we get further into debt and the american dollar becomes worth less and less, youre telling me that "we dictate how much our money is worth?"
    Last edited by DarshOne; 09-21-11 at 05:18 PM.
    09-21-11 05:05 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD