Just used Google wallet on my Nexus S 4G and its awesome. Very easy to use, fast. And the looks on the cashier and other customers faces when they realize you just paid with your phone? Priceless. Can't wait for a payment system like it for the 9930.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-20-11 07:25 PM
    Well unless Google wallet comes to blackberry (which is unlikely) the NFC is a useless feauture on the 99xx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 07:39 PM
    Well unless Google wallet comes to blackberry (which is unlikely) the NFC is a useless feauture on the 99xx

Not exactly...
    09-20-11 07:44 PM
    Who says it's not coming?
    09-20-11 07:46 PM
    RIM was working with Bank of America on something like Google Wallet, IIRC.

09-20-11 07:52 PM
    Could have sworn I just read somewhere, that Google was going to make a big push and open up Google Wallet to anyone that wants it. I'll have to look for the article again.
    09-20-11 08:00 PM
    I remember reading that too. I hope they do it and I hope RIM jumps on board.

09-20-11 08:05 PM
    Could have sworn I just read somewhere, that Google was going to make a big push and open up Google Wallet to anyone that wants it. I'll have to look for the article again.
    You read correctly. Google is opening this up to anyone that wants in.

Google has made it known they will team up with anyone interested in their Google Wallet services in an effort to make it available to everyone and that offers extends to RIM, Microsoft, Apple and more. It could would be a good move for RIM to reach out to Google if they haven't already and get this happening. Google Wallet will be a test bed of NFC usage for anyone involved and it's a test bed RIM should be a part of.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 09-20-11 at 08:09 PM.
    09-20-11 08:06 PM
    I would love to use it if RIM does it alone, I would never in any way trust android with that kind of info & I swear thats not a swipe at the Android phones, just heard to many privacy issues with Google over the past few years
    09-20-11 10:16 PM
    Sure. NFC is great. I think any technology that is able to beam out unique identifiers out into the air wherever you are is the best! Now we have 2-3 Gov issued cards with RFID in our wallets, for our convenience and security of course, and now our phones can help retailers / marketers / anyone help track our movements and patterns to better serve us and make our lives easier.

What would we ever do if the Gov & Google ("do no evil", so you can trust them) didn't invest in all those awesome technologies to tell us how to live our lives, what to buy and where to type in all of our personal information (only once, of course. They're kind enough to store it for us indefinitely).
    Just Me, buwee, DarshOne and 2 others like this.
    09-20-11 10:43 PM
    The key words there being "anyone that wants it". At times it has seemed that RIM has had their own misguided ideas of what direction they should pursue so only time will tell. It seems there's a demand for this, and they have invested in the technology so it seems they'd be foolish not to bring the google wallet to their products.... else wise whoever said it was right, NFC will be useless in this phone.

(On a side note, NFC to unlock your house or for payments with a cell phone? Seriously wtf? I couldn't care less about this idea, and frankly I think it's ridiculous, and a huge risk. Do we really need to store even more personal sensitive information in our phones? Aren't identity theft and fraud already a major problem? Won't this make it easier? Am I a crusty crank who sometimes rejects change and technological advancements? <end rant>)
    09-20-11 10:51 PM
    i think RIM just put NFC in our devices to say " hey we did it! "... i don't see anyone using it soon... besides Google/Android users
    Last edited by YoungAceAtlanta; 09-20-11 at 10:59 PM.
    09-20-11 10:56 PM
    I know many of you believe that NFC is a joke on the Bold and it'll only really work for android users but i'd have to disagree with you there. I agree that google has set themselves up rather nicely to take over the mobile payment world, however Rogers is doing just the same and it is the perfect option in my opinion for nfc at least here in Canada.

I found this article a couple weeks ago on mobilesyrup.com about Rogers teaming up with Visa and TD Bank to create an mobile NFC payment system that will bill your credit card incorporating paywave from Visa but it could also bill your phone bill as well for purchases. I think if they do this just right it could be the potential to be the second coming of interac, should they jump on as well. Heres the link.

Rogers planning to launch NFC mobile payments Q1 2012, report says | MobileSyrup.com

I believe security is the only thing stopping NFC from blowing up and once google or someone else do it right and show that the system works it'll just be a matter of time.
    09-21-11 12:14 AM
    I'm using the Google Prepaid card option. I don't trust them enough to have credit card information stored on the phone. When I need more money, I add funds. Information used to add funds to the prepaid card must be entered each time you add funds.
    09-21-11 12:38 AM
    The one world government is springing up before our eyes.cashless society is being ushered in.

09-21-11 01:09 AM
    The one world government is springing up before our eyes.cashless society is being ushered in.

Meh.......
    09-21-11 01:31 AM

but this approach will be too late...

cash is as good as paying through a card or a mobile phone..

you just need to pay a bit more for cash printers..otherwise they are all worthless
    09-21-11 02:39 AM
    Good luck getting smaller merchants to install NFC capable payment terminals. Those are VERY expensive.

09-21-11 04:10 AM
    It will take a very long time for the west to get into this I feel. Its been big over in Asia for a while and the UK is pushing for it right now and want to have around seventy thousand(70000) places with NFC for the Olympics. I tried finding the story about it but haven't come across it yet. What I did find is a story about Samsung making a NFC enabled phone for the 2012 Olympics that all the athletes will get for use during the games. Smart strategy on their part. The public will also have a chance to buy this phone.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/secto...026478.article

I'm going to keep looking for the article, if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and can link it that would be great.

I hope RIM does take NFC serious and go big with it. I believe this will be the way people will be paying for almost everything one day. I'm sure there were, and maybe still are, skeptics about using credit and debit cards when they were gaining popularity. I don't really see this much difference between this and that.

09-21-11 04:34 AM
    I am sure that Rim will be happy to work with anyone when it comes to NFC, probably the only real thing that could stop them from introducing google wallet on every device is if particular carriers are tied up with another payment system exclusively.
    09-21-11 04:53 AM
    I am ashamed of my fellow Crackberry users for failing to realize/point out that Blackberry has their own app called BLACKBERRY WALLET-I am sure it will be integrated with NFC if it already hasn't been.
    09-21-11 05:51 AM
    I am ashamed of my fellow Crackberry users for failing to realize/point out that Blackberry has their own app called BLACKBERRY WALLET-I am sure it will be integrated with NFC if it already hasn't been.
    Blackberry Wallet needs to be tweaked to use NFC. It really shouldn't be very hard. When NFC enabled devices were announced I always assumed this was the intention.
    We'll see.
    09-21-11 06:42 AM
    I am sure that Rim will be happy to work with anyone when it comes to NFC, probably the only real thing that could stop them from introducing google wallet on every device is if particular carriers are tied up with another payment system exclusively.
    That is another problem. The carriers should not and do not need to be involved with the payment companies. Look at Costco they are exclusive with American Express. I do not shop there for that reason alone. I am not going to get that card just so I can shop at a Costco.
    09-21-11 07:45 AM

What would we ever do if the Gov & Google ("do no evil", so you can trust them) didn't invest in all those awesome technologies to tell us how to live our lives, what to buy and where to type in all of our personal information (only once, of course. They're kind enough to store it for us indefinitely).
    Maybe you could just take the time to inform yourself on the choices you need to make. Maybe one of those choices is to not depend on those technologies or use them at all. You might decide for yourself, without the govt prodding you along by making your own demands available to you, that you dont even need, the cloud, an atm card, a car, a cell phone, or a loan for that nifty hardwood floor.
    09-21-11 07:54 AM
    First tweak needed to get BlackBerry Wallet to work with NFC is to get it to work with the 99xx phones. It is currently unavailable for this device.

09-21-11 08:00 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD