Hey Everyone,

I just picked up this Bold 9930 off of Ebay (apparently a mistake) and went to the Verizon store to activate it today. The phone can make and receive calls as well as txts but it cannot get on the internet whatsover. When the techs tried to get on it, a message came up saying that my plan doesnt cover data, which isnt the case as I have the unlimited data plan.

The techs spent a while on the phone with customer service trying all sorts of ways to get the phone to work but were unable to do so. Anyone have an idea what the problem is with this Bold? I find it pretty odd that everything else works fine but that it cant get internet. I would imagine if the phone was broken it wouldnt display that I do not have a data plan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does this phone need a SIM card to work properly?
    Last edited by cclark2; 06-13-12 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add info
    06-13-12 02:49 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I just picked up this Bold 9930 off of Ebay (apparently a mistake) and went to the Verizon store to activate it today. The phone can make and receive calls as well as txts but it cannot get on the internet whatsover. When the techs tried to get on it, a message came up saying that my plan doesnt cover data, which isnt the case as I have the unlimited data plan.

The techs spent a while on the phone with customer service trying all sorts of ways to get the phone to work but were unable to do so. Anyone have an idea what the problem is with this Bold? I find it pretty odd that everything else works fine but that it cant get internet. I would imagine if the phone was broken it wouldnt display that I do not have a data plan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does this phone need a SIM card to work properly?
    I have the exact same problem. No one??
    06-13-12 03:22 PM
    Dial *228 option 1 and activate your phone. Than pull the battery. Wait 2 minutes and put it back in..
    06-13-12 03:39 PM
    The 9930 does not require a sim card.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 06-13-12 at 03:56 PM.
    06-13-12 03:44 PM
    Still doesn't work, thanks for trying though
    06-13-12 04:08 PM
    Did you have a previous BlackBerry active on Verizon?

If not, if you had a different type of smartphone active on Verizon, did you get them to change your "unlimited data plan" to a BLACKBERRY Data Plan?
    06-13-12 05:24 PM
    No my previous phone was a Thunderbolt. They pulled up my account and saw it was unlimited data and never said anything about needing to change it or using a blackberry plan. The tech told me something had to be wrong with the phone.

Edit:Which I thought was BS because if there was something wrong with the phone it wouldn't say "Contact your provider about the data plan"
    Last edited by cclark2; 06-13-12 at 05:49 PM. Reason: edited text
    06-13-12 05:46 PM
    No my previous phone was a Thunderbolt. They pulled up my account and saw it was unlimited data and never said anything about needing to change it or using a blackberry plan. The tech told me something had to be wrong with the phone.
    VZW needs to provision your account for the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) plan. That's the BlackBerry data plan. Once that is done, you should be able to use all features on the device, since you will have the proper service books.
    06-13-12 05:48 PM
    VZW needs to provision your account for the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) plan. That's the BlackBerry data plan. Once that is done, you should be able to use all features on the device, since you will have the proper service books.
    Does this mean that I will lose my unlimited data? My contract still has a year left on it. Looks like Ill be going back into Verizon tomorrow
    Last edited by cclark2; 06-13-12 at 06:01 PM.
    06-13-12 05:56 PM
    You most likely should be able to keep your unlimited data. But you need to call them to get them to change your data plan. You don't need to go to the store.
    06-13-12 06:39 PM
    Talked to the folks at Verizon today, mustve spent an hour on the phone. According to them they can see my phone and arent having issues so they got Blackberry on the line. Apparently BB cant see the phone at all and they dont know why. Now Verizon put in a ticket for my phone to look into networking issues with it. UGH
    06-14-12 02:39 PM
    Perhaps that's why it was being sold on eBay.
    06-14-12 05:16 PM
    Looks like it. The phone is full on broken the verizon tech guys called me and still couldnt get it to work. Thankfully I can get my money back from Ebay and a big THANK YOU to SwitchBeach and lak611 for trying to help me fix this phone.
    06-15-12 10:56 AM
    Looks like it. The phone is full on broken the verizon tech guys called me and still couldnt get it to work. Thankfully I can get my money back from Ebay and a big THANK YOU to SwitchBeach and lak611 for trying to help me fix this phone.
    SO you got them to put a Blackberry Data plan on your device and they STILL could not see your device. Were you calling verizon or talking to a mall kiosk
    06-15-12 11:22 AM
    If it is a Verizon phone and you are a good Verizon customer, they should be able to send it off for repair under warranty, as it was distributed by them and is less than a year old.
    06-15-12 12:10 PM
    To greggebhardt, yes they told me the provisions were all there, I specifically mentioned the blackberry data plan and bb internet service and they said that was set up. I was talking to actual verizon customer service who filed a ticket with the tech guys. The tech guys(there were actually 2 working on it together) then called me a few hours later with a bold 9930 in their hands trying to figure it out.

And to robsteve: When I went into the actual verizon store they said because I had bought it on the internet instead of from Verizon that they wouldnt give me a replacement. The tech guys tho said that customer service would call me about getting a new device so not sure which one to believe.
    06-15-12 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD