sup guys, xmas is here and i bought my presents 9900 bold and a 16gb playbook, i have had bbs for a long time but never upgraded OS or even have desktop manager in my laptop. My plan s to get the most out of this devices, ive been reading alot the past 3 days here in crackberry(great site) but first thing first my 9900 came with a 7.0.0 soft ware. after reading the OS thread looks like im very behind in OS seems like .585 is the latest and the .540 a good all arounder. i thik i will upgrade to the .540 first and see how it goes since im a newbie and never done and upgrade before. i know you guys are very hype about the hybrid version but i really dont wanna get ito that yet until i familiarize withthe phone and the desktop first. i will use my bb basicly for everything bbm alot, emails, music, little FB, lot of browsing etc. im all ears for tips on OS download,helpful apps,big DONTS for ours 9900 from you xperts users. hanks in advance
    12-19-11 10:22 PM
    We would recommend upgrading to 7.1 .. It is a leak but pretty stable.,
    12-19-11 11:07 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry forums!
    I'm sure you will find here all the information that you need, enjoy your new Blackberry products!
    Last edited by blackberry-unlocking710; 12-19-11 at 11:15 PM.
    12-19-11 11:13 PM
    Congrats on your new gadgets.. hope you enjoy them without tany issues. However, if you do we are here to help you

When loading the OS:
    Download the OS
    Double click it, install it.
    Delete the vendor.xml file located in Start>Computer>Local Disc (C>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader. -sometimes there is an extre hidden one
    You can use the the Apploader.exe or Desktop software to load the OS on to your phone. Apploader.exe is in the same location as the vendor file.
    Load the OS!

Some say let your battery drain after the install (by using) and put it to charge and wait for more than usual. This is recommended after every OS install.
    On the other hand, letting your battery drain will increase your 9900s possiblity to get bricked.

Dont download tons of apps at once. Be selective. Apps affect the battery life in a serious manner. Download 5-7 apps which you will use a lot and after that go one by one, monitoirng every app on how its affecting your battery life. Dont prefer apps that are tailored for OS 7.

These will be a good starter.
    Good luck!
    12-19-11 11:23 PM
    Take it out for a good ride bone stock to see what it has to offer first. If you find it lacking then move to the motor swap. How will you know what your getting, if you don't quite yet know what you've got? Enjoy your new setup. Going to be a great combination, and welcome to CB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AugustArborists likes this.
    12-19-11 11:33 PM
    Congrats on your new gadgets.. hope you enjoy them without tany issues. However, if you do we are here to help you

When loading the OS:
    Download the OS
    Double click it, install it.
    Delete the vendor.xml file located in Start>Computer>Local Disc (C>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader. -sometimes there is an extra hidden one
    You can use the the Apploader.exe or Desktop software to load the OS on to your phone. Apploader.exe is in the same location as the vendor file.
    Load the OS!

Some say let your battery drain after the install (by using) and put it to charge and wait for more than usual. This is recommended after every OS install.
    On the other hand, letting your battery drain will increase your 9900s possiblity to get bricked.

Dont download tons of apps at once. Be selective. Apps affect the battery life in a serious manner. Download 5-7 apps which you will use a lot and after that go one by one, monitoirng every app on how its affecting your battery life. Dont prefer apps that are tailored for OS 7.

These will be a good starter.
    Good luck!
    Emiro got it great as does Elite1 on some older posts, but a wipe using BBSAK BEFORE the loader.exe has never let me down. I've let my battery go dead before, never woke up to a brick...
    Hope you love it as much as I do.

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    12-19-11 11:34 PM
    Upgrade to OS .585 right away and then setup device. Congrats on getting the best phone ever! Really like my Bold 9900
    12-19-11 11:36 PM
    Albee, not a bad idea, some out of the box OS's are not great, but a test drive is a good thought. I had mine home for about 5 minutes before installing a leak. Never thought about a store stock phone, so I never knew the difference. Again, nice call.
    12-19-11 11:42 PM
    Upgrade to OS .585 right away and then setup device. Congrats on getting the best phone ever! Really like my Bold 9900
    7.1 is the way to go, had one app that was incompatible, deleted it in "App Management", all was good once more. My 9900 now kicks my 9810's a** in battery life, way more than 38 hours with my usage (my phone number is in the Yellow Pages).

I do think a drive in the stock OS will teach other CB users to explore a leak, who knows, maybe they will find an OS that really works for them.

Good luck to all, the fun is in the exploration. Have at it!
    12-19-11 11:59 PM
    Yeah August I have read stories of certain Os's draining the cr*p out a battery in a matter of hours. Still if this happened to me the first day my first impulse would be to take it back and exchange for new before I got too attached.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-11 07:55 AM
    sup guys, xmas is here and i bought my presents 9900 bold and a 16gb playbook, i have had bbs for a long time but never upgraded OS or even have desktop manager in my laptop. My plan s to get the most out of this devices, ive been reading alot the past 3 days here in crackberry(great site) but first thing first my 9900 came with a 7.0.0 soft ware. after reading the OS thread looks like im very behind in OS seems like .585 is the latest and the .540 a good all arounder. i thik i will upgrade to the .540 first and see how it goes since im a newbie and never done and upgrade before. i know you guys are very hype about the hybrid version but i really dont wanna get ito that yet until i familiarize withthe phone and the desktop first. i will use my bb basicly for everything bbm alot, emails, music, little FB, lot of browsing etc. im all ears for tips on OS download,helpful apps,big DONTS for ours 9900 from you xperts users. hanks in advance
    7.1 is stable but the mobile hotspot is worthless unless you wanna pay an extra 20-$30 a month. I'm on verizon unlimited and shouldn't have to pay more. So I will be searching for work arounds. Not that mobile hotspot is important for me
    12-20-11 11:58 AM
    We would recommend upgrading to 7.1 .. It is a leak but pretty stable.,
    7.1 is stable but the mobile hotspot is worthless unless you wanna pay an extra 20-$30 a month. I'm on verizon unlimited and shouldn't have to pay more. So I will be searching for work arounds. Not that mobile hotspot is important for me
    The leaked 7.1 for 9900 is older than the 7.1 9930 got last week. OP read up on 7.1.0.74 before installing.
    12-20-11 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD