Just picked up a new Bold last night to replace my old Curve. The battery was low when the sales rep was configuring the phone. I managed to set up all my email accounts an play with it a bit before it went totally red. I was also trying to run it all the way down before charging.

I left it charging off my computer all night after I synced everything there. NOW I've done very little with it i.e. a several emails, txt's and a couple SHORT stints online to check some there. I went to get it out of my pocket after doing a few things and it shut down because the battery was completely dead.

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this? Will the battery get to normal after a couple cycles? I'm using it no different, actually considerably less than my Curve which will at least go 24hrs with its old battery. Is charging it off the PC or car and worse that thru an AV plug???

One of the many reasons I upgraded to this was the increased battery life. I hope this isn't the start of more problems....

Any halp would be appreciated.....
    02-11-12 04:16 PM
    One of the many reasons I upgraded to this was the increased battery life.
    You really should have done some research before upgrading...
    02-11-12 04:19 PM
    I suggest looking into one of the leaked OS updates. I got my 9900 this past Wednesday and noticed that my battery life was really bad. I then read through the forums and upgraded the Os to 7.1.0.205. I am now in day two of having solid battery life.

Hope that helps.
    02-11-12 04:44 PM
    You really should have done some research before upgrading...
    So you're "insightful input" is that 5 hours of fairly idle use is as good as it gets????
    02-11-12 04:47 PM
    So you're "insightful input" is that 5 hours of fairly idle use is as good as it gets????
    Did I say that?

I've no idea why your battery is draining so quickly, and of course it's not normal... but if you were expecting 'good' battery life with the 9900 compared to your old curve, then you're gonna be disappointed.
    02-11-12 04:57 PM
    No, he commenting on the fact that if you look through the forums, battery life is one of the biggest issues with this phone. Different people will tell you differently, however. Some people are very happy with the battery life. On the weekends, I get great battery life. During the week, not so good, because I use my phone for work. If battery life is VERY bad for you, call your carrier and complain. They may pay for a replacement battery for you. AT&T bought me a battery...now I have two. I got an external charger so I always have a spare battery on hand. Doing that has helped because how I use the battery for its whole cycle...I don't swap it out until it gets down into the teens on Meterberry. Doing things this way, I typically get 24 hours out of a battery. Still, keep in mind, if you're doing things like updating programs, or using GPS and maps program, you're going to consume a lot of power in a short time, that might have translated into hours of standby or just music playback. When it comes to batteries and this phone...YMWV...(Your Mileage WILL Vary)
    02-11-12 04:59 PM
    I have a few suggestions
    1) First charge your phone overnight plugged into a wall outlet not your computer.I think this will help. Also you should not let your battery drop all the way down. The 9930 uses a lithium battery that does not retain a memory like older phones.
    2) If you ported ( installed apps) from your old phone you might want to consider deleting them. They seam to be part of the problem that people are having when it comes to battery life.
    3) Make sure you are running the most up to date OS from your carrier. 7.1 has helped a lot of folks with battery life. When you do this do it through Desktop Manager not OTA. and only backup and restore your contacts, messages, and calander.
    4) Connect to WIFI when ever available.
    I hope this helps. If you have other questions please ask. You do own a great phone. Please don't let others discourage you.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 02-11-12 at 05:15 PM.
    ctruc likes this.
    02-11-12 05:03 PM
    I have a few suggestions
    1) First charge your phone overnight plugged into a wall outlet not your computer.I think this will help. Also you should not let your battery drop all the way down. The 9930 uses a lithium battery that does not retain a memory like older phones.
    2) If you ported ( installed apps) from your old phone you might want to consider deleting them. They seam to be part of the problem that people are having when it comes to battery life.
    3) Make sure you are running the most up to date OS from your carrier. 7.1 has helped a lot of folks with battery life. When you do this do it through Desktop Manager not OTA. and only backup and restore your contacts, messages, and calander.
    4) Connect to WIFI when ever available.
    I hope this helps. If you have other questions please ask. You do own a great phone. Please don't let others discourage you.
    Thanks. My bad I didn't do any research here, but I did read a lot of reviews and talked to some associates with the same phone. Pretty much every one I talked to said the Bold battery was much better than the Curve and they loved the phone. I guess there are just too many variables.

1) I have it charging in the car now, as I don't have any cords at work in that I never needed one. On the next charge I'll shut it down and charge it at home.

2) I have NO APPS on the phone. All that's on this and the Curve before it are the programs that came with, Twitter and Facebook. I haven't even used these on the 9930 yet..

3) I updated to 7.1 when I plugged into the Desktop so I have no point of reference on the original since its not even 24hrs old yet.

4) I've never used WIFI on the Curve so its unlikely I'll be using in on the new one but both Bluetooth and WIFI are turned off. I think the GPS is on as I used to use the Nav periodically, but maybe I should turn that off for now as well.

Not sure what else to do at this point. It seems many who have the 9930 are seeing the battery life get better as they use it. Hopefully that will be the case. Having to change out batteries throughout the day will be a pain in the as I have the phone in an Otterbox Commuter.......
    02-11-12 05:24 PM
    I take my 9930 off the charger at 6:00 AM. I average 2500-3000 calls a month, 1500-1750 texts. I use Vlingo, PDA Creator, and Poynt daily. I uses wifi when available and never leave apps running in the back ground. At 10:00 when I put it back on the charger it is normally at 20-25%.
    Just my experience.
    02-11-12 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD